Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
Latest guidance

From Heathrow Airport Limited, 22:14 GMT 19 Dec
Following UK Govt. advice, if you are in Tier 4, you should not be travelling unless it is legally permitted. If you’re in Tiers 1-3, you can still fly from Heathrow but should carefully consider whether you need to.

In light of the new tier restrictions, passengers should NOT plan unnecessary time at the airport. Please allow 2 hours ahead of departure for short haul flights and 3 hours for long haul flights.

More information can be found here

List of countries and territories currently restricting travel from the UK, from CWS's post 294, last updated at 18:30 GMT.
- Albania (till January 6th)
- Algeria
- Argentina
- Austria
- Belgium
- Brazil (post 589)
- Bulgaria
- Canada
- Chile
- China (Mainland)
- Colombia

- Croatia
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic (406)
- Ecuador
- El Salvador (also South Africa)
- Estonia
- France (48 hours for the moment)
- Finland
- Germany

- Gibraltar
- Hong Kong (also South Africa)
- Hungary
- India
- Iran
- Ireland
- Israel (also restricting Denmark and South Africa)
- Italy
- Jamaica (2 weeks, see post 397)
- Jordan
- Kuwait
- Latvia
- Lithuania

- Malta (339)
- Mauritius
- Morocco
- Netherlands
- North Macedonia
- Norway
- Oman (all countries)

- Pakistan
- Panama (also South Africa, post 409)
- Peru
- Poland
- Portugal
- Romania (from this afternoon, this morning's flight has gone ahead).
- Russia (1 week for now)
- Saudi Arabia
- Seychelles (until end of Jan - ref BA Holidays agent)(461)
- Singapore (from 2359 on Dec 23)

- Slovakia
- Spain (343)
- Sweden (also Denmark) (362)
- Switzerland (also South Africa)
- Tunisia
- Turkey (also Denmark, NL.)
Print Wikipost

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ouennais
I was due to fly to ARN on the 30th with BA, but have now booked to fly via AMS with KLM on the 29th due to the Swedish flight ban. And then this morning I see that BA776 LHR-ARN has operated and according to BA has passengers on it. Anybody know how this could be the case in light of the flight ban?
If you do go via AMS, you will need a PCR test even for transit, as of 29 December.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by KARFA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you do go via AMS, you will need a PCR test even for transit, as of 29 December.
thabks cws - I have two PCR tests booked (abundance of caution!), one 27th and one 28th, the latter with expresstest at T5.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
The problem is with BA allowing people to do this, more people will do it and that will spread the virus more and more.

Whilst I can understand BA wanting revenue surely they twig that with the virus spreading and more lockdowns and other country restrictions the more they allow people to travel against the rules the longer we will be in this situation.
Eh? You seriously expect BA to demand proof of home address from all passengers?

It isn’t even a serious offence, legally. A Ł200 fixed penalty. I would get a bigger fine if caught speeding to the airport.

Last edited by Raffles; Dec 26, 2020 at 3:12 am
Old Dec 26, 2020, 3:12 am

The problem is with BA allowing people to do this, more people will do it and that will spread the virus more and more.

Whilst I can understand BA wanting revenue surely they twig that with the virus spreading and more lockdowns and other country restrictions the more they allow people to travel against the rules the longer we will be in this situation.
Is it the responsibility of BA or any other airline to enforce the law here? Or should it be police or border force?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by L1705
Is it the responsibility of BA or any other airline to enforce the law here? Or should it be police or border force?
What we ought to talk about instead is how BA should roll out the Covid-19 testing pilot program to all BA flights worldwide. The private sector can (and have had) influence government decisions. Testing over arbitrary ban gets my vote.
londonba2014 and L1705 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Hotels (looking at you IHG) certainly seem to think it's their job to enforce not just the law, but non-binding guidance as well, judging from my experiences last month.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:37 am

I haven’t seen anything, but has anyone read any England (LHR) requirements for producing negative test results before flying or on arrival for passengers departing Portugal (LIS)?
The locator form only now states 10 days quarantine- albeit we’re potentially returning to a Tier 4 area (unless it changes on the 30th Dec).
Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chick21
I haven’t seen anything, but has anyone read any England (LHR) requirements for producing negative test results before flying or on arrival for passengers departing Portugal (LIS)?
The locator form only now states 10 days quarantine- albeit we’re potentially returning to a Tier 4 area (unless it changes on the 30th Dec).
Hi. You won't need to produce a test result in order to fly from Portugal to the UK. As you noted, you fill in the passenger locator form and you would need to self isolate for 10 days - or take the test to release after 5 days.
chick21 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Raffles
Eh? You seriously expect BA to demand proof of home address from all passengers?

It isn’t even a serious offence, legally. A Ł200 fixed penalty. I would get a bigger fine if caught speeding to the airport.
Why not? They have an address on bookings and whilst registered card details. Could of course be different but wouldn’t be that hard. The more people travel the more the virus spreads and the longer tiers and restrictions are in force.

The fine can be up to Ł6400 for repeat offenders besides, does a small fine warrant breaking the law? Where does it become acceptable to break the law ? shoplifting, drink driving, vandalism, petty theft..... ?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I’d have thought any enforcement to prevent the law from being broken would be good. Maybe we need everybody to be questioned by the police before they can check in like an AA security check if US bound maybe a fine and/or financial loss of booking
might discourage a few people from breaking the laws.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I’d have thought any enforcement to prevent the law from being broken would be good. Maybe we need everybody to be questioned by the police before they can check in like an AA security check if US bound maybe a fine and/or financial loss of booking
might discourage a few people from breaking the laws.
As a commercial company, this isn't BA's job. They pay taxes (as do we) so that the state provide policing powers. They would be very ill-advised to start doing this, some people would remember when it is time to book their next trip.

I agree that there is a lot of questioning about how far we can extend the law and skirt the guidance, but free speech is also for people who don't agree with you. It could all be theoretical, and if it isn't they have their conscience to live with later. I tend to browse through some of the posts, skipping them for repeat "offenders" (in my opinion) and let it slide. It makes my days much nicer. It isn't our job to police people's thoughts or words on the Internet (which we all know tend to be bigger than their actions IRL).
:D! and James91 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 5:12 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Isn’t the case that UK-originating travellers need a negative PCR test already?

https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...d-south-africa
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

It was necessary to remove another batch of off topic posts. Please observe the previous moderator guidance posted up thread.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
chick21 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:30 am

So I have a EU passport - I could go to Sweden now through AMS / CDG with a PCR test?
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Why not? They have an address on bookings and whilst registered card details.
BA would need more than the address of the traveler. They would have to know the reason for the trip.

I live a Tier 4 area and am travelling in January and it’s perfectly legal.
Duck1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.