Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
Latest guidance

From Heathrow Airport Limited, 22:14 GMT 19 Dec
Following UK Govt. advice, if you are in Tier 4, you should not be travelling unless it is legally permitted. If you’re in Tiers 1-3, you can still fly from Heathrow but should carefully consider whether you need to.

In light of the new tier restrictions, passengers should NOT plan unnecessary time at the airport. Please allow 2 hours ahead of departure for short haul flights and 3 hours for long haul flights.

More information can be found here

List of countries and territories currently restricting travel from the UK, from CWS's post 294, last updated at 18:30 GMT.
- Albania (till January 6th)
- Algeria
- Argentina
- Austria
- Belgium
- Brazil (post 589)
- Bulgaria
- Canada
- Chile
- China (Mainland)
- Colombia

- Croatia
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic (406)
- Ecuador
- El Salvador (also South Africa)
- Estonia
- France (48 hours for the moment)
- Finland
- Germany

- Gibraltar
- Hong Kong (also South Africa)
- Hungary
- India
- Iran
- Ireland
- Israel (also restricting Denmark and South Africa)
- Italy
- Jamaica (2 weeks, see post 397)
- Jordan
- Kuwait
- Latvia
- Lithuania

- Malta (339)
- Mauritius
- Morocco
- Netherlands
- North Macedonia
- Norway
- Oman (all countries)

- Pakistan
- Panama (also South Africa, post 409)
- Peru
- Poland
- Portugal
- Romania (from this afternoon, this morning's flight has gone ahead).
- Russia (1 week for now)
- Saudi Arabia
- Seychelles (until end of Jan - ref BA Holidays agent)(461)
- Singapore (from 2359 on Dec 23)

- Slovakia
- Spain (343)
- Sweden (also Denmark) (362)
- Switzerland (also South Africa)
- Tunisia
- Turkey (also Denmark, NL.)
Print Wikipost

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:34 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Formally and usually it's down to the passenger to get their paperwork in order to ensure they are allowed to fly, it's not the airline's job. However there are several dispensations going around at the moment. Firstly FTVs are available up to the closure of the flight, usually an hour or so before departure, CDG would usually be nearer 35 minutes. Obviously you don't want to be on the wrong side of that, but if you have a good reason to think that you will be denied travel hen you better get their sooner than normal. Secondly LHR appears to have an airport policy at the moment which I would deem to be aimed at trying to avoid hard discussions. So if you were denied but asked for a week to resolve the issue, I suspect it will be done in a few clicks.
Thanks for the quick response! I have no issues with a FTV, I'm happy with that vs a refund, as I plan to fly BA soon, or whenever I can anyway. I have the right documentation - it's just about the reason I'm traveling (house inspection), which may be deemed not good enough, and therefore I will be denied boarding. If that is the case, I will accept it as I have no intentions of creating a fuss or breaking any laws.

So if I arrive at the airport 2 hours early, and I'm denied boarding (even though I have already checked in online, which I have), I should have no issues getting a FTV, is this correct?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by mariagri
My LGW-PUJ flight on 31/12 is still showing as running in my MMB (along with a very nice picture of the beach and palm trees, “your next flight with us is to Punta Cana”...). Is BA hoping the DR will lift the ban prior to 10/01 or as you say has not gotten around to cancelling the flights yet?
Any guesses would be helpful; need to decide asap whether to say adios to DR for now (even though flight not cancelled by BA) and make alternative arrangements...
I found out that the flight did operate yesterday but only for 28 Dominican nationals to return home. No non Dominicans allowed to board. And on arrival In Punta Cana all these Dominicans were stuck on a coach and taken to a military base where they have been left with no further information as to when they will be allowed to leave. Outcry on Dominican social media about the chaos on arrival. So I would say that unless the Dominican government cancels its resolution which seems unlikely you will definitely not be coming on 31st
Old Dec 23, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
New restrictions on travel from South Africa have just been announced without much detail. I think we can assume a temporary suspension of flights.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Already in St Lucia and logged in to MMB to see the banner saying I could make free changes to my flight, due to return to LGW on 28 Dec. This was booked with a 2-4-1 voucher in the 50% off Avios sale and a GGL Redemption in F. Not being in a rush to be back in Tier 4, I called and asked about flying back on 1 Jan. All changes made without fuss. Banner is no longer being displayed in MMB, so this may be a change for free type of offer once, given that a 2-4-1 voucher should not be able to be changed once the outbound has been flown.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Originally Posted by JessicaB
I found out that the flight did operate yesterday but only for 28 Dominican nationals to return home. No non Dominicans allowed to board. And on arrival In Punta Cana all these Dominicans were stuck on a coach and taken to a military base where they have been left with no further information as to when they will be allowed to leave. Outcry on Dominican social media about the chaos on arrival. So I would say that unless the Dominican government cancels its resolution which seems unlikely you will definitely not be coming on 31st
Slightly off topic but an interesting link to what has been going on in the Dominican Rep ATC wise:

https://www.itfaviation.org/tag/dominican-air-traffic-controllers-association/

Mods please move or remove if considered necessary. Sorry about the font.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:19 am

Shouldn’t this whole thread be in the UK and Ireland thread? There may be many posts relating to BA but it’s not BA specific?

Do the rules not apply because this relates to the south east and that’s very baaaad and terrible and it’s, like, the end of the world??

Palmer
sbs2716g likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Palmer
Shouldn’t this whole thread be in the UK and Ireland thread? There may be many posts relating to BA but it’s not BA specific?

Do the rules not apply because this relates to the south east and that’s very baaaad and terrible and it’s, like, the end of the world??

Palmer
While the list of countries adding UK to their travel bans increases, there is still a relevance to whether BA services will run as scheduled or cancel due to possible low demand. People in the most part are relating this back to BA and the perception is it remains relevant.

I'd agree the title relating to Lon/tier 4 is somewhat misleading and really has nothing to do with whether BA flights operate or not - I think originally there was some confusion over whether BA flights could operate full stop as LHR is located in to tier 4 area.... which it can.
RB211, James91 and MatJarosz like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Jase76
Already in St Lucia and logged in to MMB to see the banner saying I could make free changes to my flight, due to return to LGW on 28 Dec. This was booked with a 2-4-1 voucher in the 50% off Avios sale and a GGL Redemption in F. Not being in a rush to be back in Tier 4, I called and asked about flying back on 1 Jan. All changes made without fuss. Banner is no longer being displayed in MMB, so this may be a change for free type of offer once, given that a 2-4-1 voucher should not be able to be changed once the outbound has been flown.
Apparently the outbound rule doesn't apply to redemption bookings anymore - Inc 2-4-1's

Quote:
16.1. Changes to bookings for Reward travel on flights operated by British Airways or Airline Partners are permitted only in respect of date, time, class of service and route and is subject to this Clause 16. Such changes may only be made by the Member or an individual nominated in accordance with Clause 3.13.

16.2. The route or date applicable to a Reward booking may be changed provided that the new route or date selected would, as at the date the change is requested, require the redemption of the same amount of Avios points as was redeemed in making the original booking. Route changes are only permitted for Reward bookings which are purchased using Avios points only (other than for the payment of taxes, fees and charges).

16.3. If more than one Avios and Money price option is available for a British Airways flight, it is not possible to change the price option or class of service chosen by a Member after a booking has been made.

16.4. All permitted changes are subject to capacity limitations and must be made a minimum of 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the flight being changed.

16.5. A fee as specified on Ba.com may be payable for each permitted change. Name changes are not permitted.

16.6. If you make a Non-Flight Reward booking, an amendment to your booking will be treated as a cancellation and re-booking and will be (subject to availability and applicable charges) as set out in the Conditions of Use under Spending Avios on Hotel, Car Rental and Experiences.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HB7
So if I arrive at the airport 2 hours early, and I'm denied boarding (even though I have already checked in online, which I have), I should have no issues getting a FTV, is this correct?
Yes, I think the important bit, if you are HBO, is to get airside, since that means the computer has you down as "Ready to Fly". If you check in luggage then any issue would show up then. If it's "no go" then BA staff will offload you and then on BA.com - or the App more likely - you can apply for the FTV. If going a week later (or whatever) is your preference, you would need to do that in T5 before leaving.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:27 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, I think the important bit, if you are HBO, is to get airside, since that means the computer has you down as "Ready to Fly". If you check in luggage then any issue would show up then. If it's "no go" then BA staff will offload you and then on BA.com - or the App more likely - you can apply for the FTV. If going a week later (or whatever) is your preference, you would need to do that in T5 before leaving.
Thanks for that, much appreciated! I'll make sure to turn up early to avoid any major hassles.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Keeping any thread in the BA sub-forum on topic is a bit like herding cats, and doubly so with covid-related threads. Perhaps the moderators simply have better things to do at Christmas.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

The thread is intended as a resource for FT members whose BA travel plans are being impacted by the Tier 4 restrictions imposed in the U.K and travel restrictions imposed internationally.

Forum members are again reminded / requested to keep the thread on-topic and not clutter it up with tangential discussion and argument.

The thread title has been tweaked for clarity.

the mod team
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
Originally Posted by 13901
Don't know if it was only me being a muppet or what, but I asked Express Test - part of Cignpost - if their Heathrow testing systems are available for walk-ins, i.e. for people who cannot drive. the answer is no: everywhere they are you must have a car.
i used them at Gatwick on Saturday before my BA flight to Spain on Monday,
I did see taxi pull up and the people in the back got tested, so maybe an option? Tested at 0930, results received by 10pm same day.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by binman
Not sure why anyone is surprised by Rip Off Britain anymore

From Jan 1st will get worse. German airports were providing state funded testing to all EU citizens including transitioning citizens
I only paid £60 at LGW for a test on Sunday (drive through, South Terminal long stay car park). Test at 11, results by email at 18:00 same day. However friends waited longer the week before. Also, their admin doesn’t fill you with confidence...I didn’t receive a booking confirmation or QR code by email, but showed proof of payment on arrival using mobile banking and I was waved through. My email address was handwritten on a piece of paper when the test was done... but, despite my misgivings the turnaround was good

I needed it for a flight to South Africa that I was supposed to take last night...the rapidly changing situation meant I decided to cancel, and I’m glad I did seeing how things have developed. Credit to BA - the flight (Avios) was refunded straight away, hotel (BA Holidays) had a FTV issued, Avis car was refunded and purple parking LHR issued a voucher. If I’d been in tier 4 I’d have got a cash refund on the hotel, but at the time was in tier 2. Not from Boxing Day though!
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Does anybody think BA will be making extra cuts to their January schedule? Holding out hope for a ANU trip in January but I guess this largely depends on how much traffic onboard can no longer travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.