Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
Latest guidance

From Heathrow Airport Limited, 22:14 GMT 19 Dec
Following UK Govt. advice, if you are in Tier 4, you should not be travelling unless it is legally permitted. If you’re in Tiers 1-3, you can still fly from Heathrow but should carefully consider whether you need to.

In light of the new tier restrictions, passengers should NOT plan unnecessary time at the airport. Please allow 2 hours ahead of departure for short haul flights and 3 hours for long haul flights.

More information can be found here

List of countries and territories currently restricting travel from the UK, from CWS's post 294, last updated at 18:30 GMT.
- Albania (till January 6th)
- Algeria
- Argentina
- Austria
- Belgium
- Brazil (post 589)
- Bulgaria
- Canada
- Chile
- China (Mainland)
- Colombia

- Croatia
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic (406)
- Ecuador
- El Salvador (also South Africa)
- Estonia
- France (48 hours for the moment)
- Finland
- Germany

- Gibraltar
- Hong Kong (also South Africa)
- Hungary
- India
- Iran
- Ireland
- Israel (also restricting Denmark and South Africa)
- Italy
- Jamaica (2 weeks, see post 397)
- Jordan
- Kuwait
- Latvia
- Lithuania

- Malta (339)
- Mauritius
- Morocco
- Netherlands
- North Macedonia
- Norway
- Oman (all countries)

- Pakistan
- Panama (also South Africa, post 409)
- Peru
- Poland
- Portugal
- Romania (from this afternoon, this morning's flight has gone ahead).
- Russia (1 week for now)
- Saudi Arabia
- Seychelles (until end of Jan - ref BA Holidays agent)(461)
- Singapore (from 2359 on Dec 23)

- Slovakia
- Spain (343)
- Sweden (also Denmark) (362)
- Switzerland (also South Africa)
- Tunisia
- Turkey (also Denmark, NL.)
Print Wikipost

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2020, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by 13901
What I fear is the proliferation of different standards. France wanting one thing, the Netherlands wanting another, Hungary wanting a PCR test done on a Wednesday by a Hungarian who believes Trianon has been an injustice... I'm a keen Europeist: this is the time for Ursula to step up and put together EU-wide rules. Otherwise it's just a total mess.
The EU have been trying to achieve a standardised approach to Rapid Antigen testing for months. There are various public documents available on this. It seems trying to reach an agreement between the member states isn’t working and with each country having sovereignty over their own entry requirements it might be difficult to achieve.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 3:22 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
Sofitel T5 LHR 'test and rest' will give you the results overnight. It is a spit test rather than swab, but the results have the magic "PCR" on the paperwork, so seem to be widely accepted.
Yes this does sound like the best option currently. And certainly the route I would be happy to head down for future travel if things improve and open up. But still quite an expensive option for a family wanting to head south in the summer so not mass market yet.

Originally Posted by 13901
I'm a keen Europeist: this is the time for Ursula to step up and put together EU-wide rules. Otherwise it's just a total mess.
We will need them for vaccine passports anyway so might as well try and get on with it.

Originally Posted by alex67500
They paid somewhere between 60 and 75 euros since they don't have social security in France anymore; it would have been state funded otherwise. They all got their results within 24 hours. It beats my 120-pound Boots test (36 hours), or even the Collinson one, by quite a margin.
Yes and I believe you don’t need social security for the free test on departure at CDG. But this is why I think £50 is an achievable and affordable goal.

Aviation, travel and tourism support so many jobs in the UK, I just hope the government begin to recognise that they need to be a bit more hands on to get some kind of recovery once the current wave subsides.

Before this becomes too Omni I note that WizzAir and EasyJet are offering cheaper tests through Confirm at £85/75 respectively. I wonder if BA will follow suit.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
Most of my French friends who left in a hurry at the weekend found tests in private labs within 24 hours of their return. They paid somewhere between 60 and 75 euros since they don't have social security in France anymore; it would have been state funded otherwise. They all got their results within 24 hours. It beats my 120-pound Boots test (36 hours), or even the Collinson one, by quite a margin.
Not sure why anyone is surprised by Rip Off Britain anymore

From Jan 1st will get worse. German airports were providing state funded testing to all EU citizens including transitioning citizens
Old Dec 23, 2020, 3:42 am

something a bit more official regarding Cyprus on the Gov website (https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/cyprus):
Travel is subject to entry restrictions
  • On 21 December, the Cypriot authorities publicly advised against all but essential travel to the UK from Cyprus, and a mandatory authority-assigned quarantine of a minimum of 7 days for all arrivals into Cyprus from the UK. Following this announcement, the authorities have informed the British High Commission, but not yet publicly announced, that the UK is now in Cyprus’ Category C. This means that visitors from the UK are not permitted to travel to Cyprus.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't want to encourage anyone to push the boundaries here, it's important to get infections under control or vaccination will take twice as long for us to get past the worst of it. And that needs everyone to play their part, in the battle against people being selfish, the virus has a massive and now increasing genomic advantage. But I think the restrictions going to fragment fairly quickly. Schengen being what it is, someone can fly now to CDG on fairly low spec tests, transit there to a flight to Germany and probably not see anyone other than airline staff in the process. And at least one Schengen country appears not to be asking for tests at all. EU governments will be aware of this, so further adaptations will come along in one direction or the other.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:09 am
Suspended

Which schengen country does not require tests?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Which schengen country does not require tests?
A word of caution - most requirements and restrictions throughout EU countries are and have been based on where you were in the last 10-15 days prior to arrival. Entering Schengen somewhere and then thinking you’re free to go wherever as long as you meet the requirements of your point of entry is therefore incorrect.

Please do your research to not break the laws of your final destination (and unnecessarily endanger others!)
Old Dec 23, 2020, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by nigelw
Anyone know how long this policy is for. I'm quite liking these £100 CE fares with the flexibility of an £800 one.
Very short term - for this exact reason.

The additional flexibility is for severe disruption events only, and is designed to allow customers to move themselves around without BA being accused of ‘profiteering’ through what is effectively standard (and largely automated) revenue management - it’s basically a temporary override switch. It will be turned off as soon as the situation is considered to be under control (or immediately if there’s evidence of significant abuse).
Old Dec 23, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Typing from the CCT right now.

T5 very empty. No questions or checks whatsoever about where and why I was travelling.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 5:46 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Typing from the CCT right now.

T5 very empty. No questions or checks whatsoever about where and why I was travelling.
Where are you flying to if you don't mind me asking?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by destone
That’s really great to hear. The new saliva tests can be PCR standard, but not all are. Glad to hear that you were offered the PCR standard of it. It is also available privately but normally costs 50% higher.
To be clear, we had a test at a private clinic locally. no need to travel to the airport twice. We thought it risky to attempt to start our holiday with what we knew wasn't the right sort of PCR test. Just reporting what I have heard from others. Without the check list the check in staff have, they are busy checking the time of tests against their country list and I doubt have time to delve into the particular PCR requirements of each country.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by HB7
Where are you flying to if you don't mind me asking?
Final destination is IST but today I'm diverting to CAI.
HB7 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:14 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Hi All,

I have checked in for my flight to CDG tomorrow and I will travel to the airport early, however, if I'm not allowed on the plane - what will happen to my flight? Do I lose it completely?

I'm worried that I will end up losing the flight and money I paid for it.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by HB7
Hi All,

I have checked in for my flight to CDG tomorrow and I will travel to the airport early, however, if I'm not allowed on the plane - what will happen to my flight? Do I lose it completely?

I’m not sure what is your citizenship however it is your responsibility that you meet with all the required criteria to able to fly to CDG. If you don’t have the PCR test, etc then BA can take your money and you can loose your flight. However you can apply for the FTV if BA is not cancelled your flight.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HB7
Hi All,

Formally and usually it's down to the passenger to get their paperwork in order to ensure they are allowed to fly, it's not the airline's job. However there are several dispensations going around at the moment. Firstly FTVs are available up to the closure of the flight, usually an hour or so before departure, CDG would usually be nearer 35 minutes. Obviously you don't want to be on the wrong side of that, but if you have a good reason to think that you will be denied travel hen you better get their sooner than normal. Secondly LHR appears to have an airport policy at the moment which I would deem to be aimed at trying to avoid hard discussions. So if you were denied but asked for a week to resolve the issue, I suspect it will be done in a few clicks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.