Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
Latest guidance

From Heathrow Airport Limited, 22:14 GMT 19 Dec
Following UK Govt. advice, if you are in Tier 4, you should not be travelling unless it is legally permitted. If you’re in Tiers 1-3, you can still fly from Heathrow but should carefully consider whether you need to.

In light of the new tier restrictions, passengers should NOT plan unnecessary time at the airport. Please allow 2 hours ahead of departure for short haul flights and 3 hours for long haul flights.

More information can be found here

List of countries and territories currently restricting travel from the UK, from CWS's post 294, last updated at 18:30 GMT.
- Albania (till January 6th)
- Algeria
- Argentina
- Austria
- Belgium
- Brazil (post 589)
- Bulgaria
- Canada
- Chile
- China (Mainland)
- Colombia

- Croatia
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic (406)
- Ecuador
- El Salvador (also South Africa)
- Estonia
- France (48 hours for the moment)
- Finland
- Germany

- Gibraltar
- Hong Kong (also South Africa)
- Hungary
- India
- Iran
- Ireland
- Israel (also restricting Denmark and South Africa)
- Italy
- Jamaica (2 weeks, see post 397)
- Jordan
- Kuwait
- Latvia
- Lithuania

- Malta (339)
- Mauritius
- Morocco
- Netherlands
- North Macedonia
- Norway
- Oman (all countries)

- Pakistan
- Panama (also South Africa, post 409)
- Peru
- Poland
- Portugal
- Romania (from this afternoon, this morning's flight has gone ahead).
- Russia (1 week for now)
- Saudi Arabia
- Seychelles (until end of Jan - ref BA Holidays agent)(461)
- Singapore (from 2359 on Dec 23)

- Slovakia
- Spain (343)
- Sweden (also Denmark) (362)
- Switzerland (also South Africa)
- Tunisia
- Turkey (also Denmark, NL.)
Print Wikipost

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2020, 11:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
France has confirmed that her frontiers will re-open from midnight tonight. However arrivals will need a negative PCR test of less than 72 hours' vintage.

I'm trying to find out what sort test is allowed, whether it has to be PCR, but I suspect it will be so, since that is the main test used in France too.

The BBC is reporting that those arriving need a legitimate reason for travel, again I'll try to find out more about this. This is the quoted Twitter from M. Djebbari.

Jean-Baptiste Djebbari @djebbari_JB
·
Les avions, les bateaux et les Eurostar reprendront leur service dès demain matin. Les ressortissants français, les résidents en France et ceux qui ont un motif légitime devront être munis d’un test négatif.

Thank you @Grantshapps
for the amazing work we have done the last 48h!
alex67500 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
According to this Seychelles will be closed from the 28th December.
Seychelles takes measures to address threat of new variant of COVID-19 - Ministry of Health - Seychelles

“With effect from Monday 28th December, the United Kingdom will no longer feature on the list of countries from which visitors may travel to Seychelles. Seychellois, permanent residents and approved GOP holders may continue to travel from the United Kingdom to Seychelles under existing conditions.

These measures will be in effect until the end of January 2021, and will be subject to reviews before that date.”
Old Dec 22, 2020, 11:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It is being reported that only Japanese nationals will be allowed to enter Japan from the UK as of 24 December.
I am unsure how BA flights to HND will be impacted by it as there are currently no restrictions on flights themselves.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Guys weird one - BA676 to IST tomorrow 9:25am still shows as operating.
BA cancelled yesterdays and todays one with 24 hours of notice due to Turkey closing borders.

Any hints? Just want to avoid a 5am wake up call to get to the airport and find the flight has been cancelled indeed.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
i would be patient and wait to get the cancellation notification.
All rebooked for the end of Feb, fingers crossed it’ll be ok by then...
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Further update from France
- Test must be PCR or a "recognised Antigen" test
- Certificate must be under 72 hours old at the point of arrival
- Entry allowed to EEA and EU citizens, plus residents of France
- Transit is allowed by all, with PCR (etc) test, provided the transit is within 24 hours and airside
- UK citizens can enter France if resident or have a legitimate reason to be in France (e.g. professional / work related). Again a negative test result is needed.

Not explicitly stated but implied, holiday trips to France aren't at this point allowed by UK nationals.
wrp96, alex67500, James91 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Further update from France
- Test must be PCR or a "recognised Antigen" test
- Certificate must be under 72 hours old at the point of arrival
- Entry allowed to EEA and EU citizens, plus residents of France
- Transit is allowed by all, with PCR (etc) test, provided the transit is within 24 hours and airside
- UK citizens can enter France if resident or have a legitimate reason to be in France (e.g. professional / work related). Again a negative test result is needed.

Not explicitly stated but implied, holiday trips to France aren't at this point allowed by UK nationals.
Finally, some common sense from somewhere. Hopefully this will become EU wide policy.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:16 pm

Spain have said border restrictions will remain in place until 6pm on 5th January.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Do we all think this is the start of reversing the bans? Albeit with some slightly extra restrictions.

I'm guessing this is happening because the new version of the virus really isn't as much of a threat as Mr BJ scared us to believe?
paulaf, flyingcrazy and cauchy like this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:27 pm

For a flight that is running the options are
- The Christmas rebooking allowance, which allows you to rebook to (I think) 1 year from issue.
- FTV
- Involuntary refund (which on restricted tickets isn't a lot).
There isn't a special refund allowance for operating flights as far as I know. So if the FTV is the best option then you best do that online. You should get the FTV within 10 minutes or so, just make a note of your PNR before leaving the MMB screen, for the FTV option, which is under the cancellation options at the bottom.
Managed to rebook online at approx T-90. Weirdly it allowed a very cheap I class CE fare to rebook into a more expensive D class CE bucket without asking for any more money, so either a welcome glitch or BA are being very generous in current situation
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:27 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
What are the legitimate reasons? Does it include house inspections? I had one lined up in Bordeaux on the 28th of December for an investment property. Will we get any clarification on this?
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Looks like Mexico is not going to ban us. Do we think LGW-CUN and LHR-MEX will continue (likely at reduced frequencies)?

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-h...-idUSKBN28W1UN
I can't speak to CUN but MEX will most definitely continue due to reasonable pax load outbound and cargo inbound. Remember, that most US-bound travelers who are otherwise not eligible (e.g. citizen, perm resident or certain relative or NIW) for a direct US-bound flight, MEX (+2 weeks quarantine there) is the most viable indirect route.
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by HB7
What are the legitimate reasons? Does it include house inspections? I had one lined up in Bordeaux on the 28th of December for an investment property. Will we get any clarification on this?
Usually the first 24 hours of this sort of thing are a bit confusing or even contradictory. But by 27 December I would be fairly confident you will know. If you only have short visit to BOD and have all the right paperwork, I'd imagine the police will let you in.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by eugegall
Do we all think this is the start of reversing the bans? Albeit with some slightly extra restrictions.

I'm guessing this is happening because the new version of the virus really isn't as much of a threat as Mr BJ scared us to believe?
Doubtful bans will be reversed without testing.
The reaction from overseas may imply that they may believe BJ.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:44 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Usually the first 24 hours of this sort of thing are a bit confusing or even contradictory. But by 27 December I would be fairly confident you will know. If you only have short visit to BOD and have all the right paperwork, I'd imagine the police will let you in.
I have emails from agents etc, and my business partner in France too.

I got a PCR test today as I planned to fly in on the 24th of December. I just want to make sure it's ok because technically it's not work, however, as I don't get that much of a chance to go to France mid-week, I thought this period would be ideal - of course I made that decision a month ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.