Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
Latest guidance

From Heathrow Airport Limited, 22:14 GMT 19 Dec
Following UK Govt. advice, if you are in Tier 4, you should not be travelling unless it is legally permitted. If you’re in Tiers 1-3, you can still fly from Heathrow but should carefully consider whether you need to.

In light of the new tier restrictions, passengers should NOT plan unnecessary time at the airport. Please allow 2 hours ahead of departure for short haul flights and 3 hours for long haul flights.

More information can be found here

List of countries and territories currently restricting travel from the UK, from CWS's post 294, last updated at 18:30 GMT.
- Albania (till January 6th)
- Algeria
- Argentina
- Austria
- Belgium
- Brazil (post 589)
- Bulgaria
- Canada
- Chile
- China (Mainland)
- Colombia

- Croatia
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic (406)
- Ecuador
- El Salvador (also South Africa)
- Estonia
- France (48 hours for the moment)
- Finland
- Germany

- Gibraltar
- Hong Kong (also South Africa)
- Hungary
- India
- Iran
- Ireland
- Israel (also restricting Denmark and South Africa)
- Italy
- Jamaica (2 weeks, see post 397)
- Jordan
- Kuwait
- Latvia
- Lithuania

- Malta (339)
- Mauritius
- Morocco
- Netherlands
- North Macedonia
- Norway
- Oman (all countries)

- Pakistan
- Panama (also South Africa, post 409)
- Peru
- Poland
- Portugal
- Romania (from this afternoon, this morning's flight has gone ahead).
- Russia (1 week for now)
- Saudi Arabia
- Seychelles (until end of Jan - ref BA Holidays agent)(461)
- Singapore (from 2359 on Dec 23)

- Slovakia
- Spain (343)
- Sweden (also Denmark) (362)
- Switzerland (also South Africa)
- Tunisia
- Turkey (also Denmark, NL.)
Print Wikipost

London/SE England in Tier 4 + countries with UK flight ban : impact on BA travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2020, 3:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chick21
I’ve read on Gov.Uk that flights into Portugal are for residents only from UK, but any news on flights flying from Lisbon to Heathrow are they still operating?

We are due to fly back to LHR on 31st.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum chick21. We seem to be working in 48 hour cycles at the moment, so you would be well placed to keep an eye on this forum. But I was told a Tenerife flight today went out empty this morning in order to bring people back to the UK, so what you are suggesting is possible. In a way it would be better if your flight is only cancelled 24 hours to departure, since at that point BA would rebook you - indirectly if necessary - on to other airlines. However LIS-MAD-LHR will probably be viable, I would think.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Well while we're at it, why not let all those people who had planned to visit family for Christmas to continue provided they made there plans before the Tier 4 introduction? This virus is devastating many areas of the planet and it is not going away on it's own.

Personally, I have spent a lot of time, money as well as effort to research, plan and organise which car to buy. Not only mine, but my wife's too so we can drive places important to us. The car I chose can do 155 mph. For the government to then say well tough, you can only travel at up to 70 mph whether you like it or not, I just cannot agree with.

When will people start to accept some personal responsibility for others?
Couldn't agree more. I would love to be on a plane tonight to the Maldives but I won't be since I have some regard for others not just my own family's desire to have a holiday despite the fact I know we could probably get to the airport and get on the plane without being turned back or fined - I have spent over Ł600 on wasted COVID tests and another few hundred on other things I couldn't cancel or get back through my Insurance (which isn't covering Tier 4 losses). While I agree that it makes no sense that we can't go despite being COVID free because of where we live - I'll follow the rules.
VSLover, thijsseh, Kgmm77 and 10 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Reuters reports Hungary has banned passenger planes from the UK until Feb 8th.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 4:08 am

Waggy, I have just been to put my bin out for collection and a rather low flying Emirates A380 passed overhead having just left LHR. I thought at the time that this would be full of people travelling to DXB for Christmas so I applaud your morals but suspect you are in a minority.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum chick21. We seem to be working in 48 hour cycles at the moment, so you would be well placed to keep an eye on this forum. But I was told a Tenerife flight today went out empty this morning in order to bring people back to the UK, so what you are suggesting is possible. In a way it would be better if your flight is only cancelled 24 hours to departure, since at that point BA would rebook you - indirectly if necessary - on to other airlines. However LIS-MAD-LHR will probably be viable, I would think.
Thanks for the info - keeping an eye out.

Edit: just had notice that the BA501 has been cancelled on the 31st from LIS to LHR next available is the BA503 on Jan 1st. Dec 30th still seems to be flying though?

Last edited by chick21; Dec 22, 2020 at 4:34 am
Old Dec 22, 2020, 4:44 am

Programs: BA, CX, SQ, Accor, IHG
Singapore closed to anyone who has been in the UK in the past 14 days, (including transit passengers) Singaporeans and PR’s are the only exceptions. Up on the Straits Times now. Comes into force Thursday, open ended. https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...nter-singapore
Old Dec 22, 2020, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Any word on the US?
my brothers and I flew in from California in order to isolate long enough to see family for Christmas.
Now We’re worried about whether or not we’ll be able to get home.
my gut tells me the us Is unlikely to shut the borders completely, but on checking MMB this morning, they’ve stopped doing upgrades, the flight is marked in red and I got a notice of “possibility of service disruption.”
Old Dec 22, 2020, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by matticusbond
Any word on the US?
my brothers and I flew in from California in order to isolate long enough to see family for Christmas.
Now We’re worried about whether or not we’ll be able to get home.
my gut tells me the us Is unlikely to shut the borders completely, but on checking MMB this morning, they’ve stopped doing upgrades, the flight is marked in red and I got a notice of “possibility of service disruption.”
The US, as a destination from the UK, is already severely restricted unless you're a U.S. citizen, green card holder (or certain relative) or somehow eligible for a National Interest Waiver.

There are rumors that a negative test result may be required in the future (Hawaii-style), but this hasn't been implemented yet.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond
As of today, Greece is requiring air arrivals from the UK to undergo a PCR test on arrival (in addition to presenting a negative result from one taken within 72 hours prior to arrival) and self-isolate for ten days, even if the PCR result is negative. A further PCR is required at the end of the ten day period.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
Old Dec 22, 2020, 5:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chick21
Edit: just had notice that the BA501 has been cancelled on the 31st from LIS to LHR next available is the BA503 on Jan 1st. Dec 30th still seems to be flying though?
Yes, BA1501 on 30 December seems the only flight on LIS-LHR for the time being.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 5:39 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingsingh
Sorry PG but I trust their travel insurance team, their advice has proven invaluable over the years
Hmmmm. Buying insurance cover with someone other than them... no vested interests there then...

YOu pays your money and takes your choice. I used battleface too for my trip to Denmark.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: Executive Club
I've noticed that today's flight to PUJ from Gatwick at 14.00 is still showing as scheduled at both airports and on BA.com, even though the Dominican government banned all flights from the UK with immediate effect and until 10th January yesterday. I wonder if some people will go to the airport and check in. My friend who was flying on 29th also just received a pre-flight email this morning. I guess BA is just so overwhelmed they haven't had time to push the button to cancel flights.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
From midnight 23rd, restrictions on who can travel to Gibraltar:
https://www.chronicle.gi/new-rules-r...-to-gibraltar/
Old Dec 22, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List
Originally Posted by JessicaB
I've noticed that today's flight to PUJ from Gatwick at 14.00 is still showing as scheduled at both airports and on BA.com, even though the Dominican government banned all flights from the UK with immediate effect and until 10th January yesterday. I wonder if some people will go to the airport and check in. My friend who was flying on 29th also just received a pre-flight email this morning. I guess BA is just so overwhelmed they haven't had time to push the button to cancel flights.
It won’t be possible for anyone to check in to fly out to PUJ today. They are flying it out empty in order to repatriate people back to the UK.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
EU Commission Recommends Lifting Ban:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.