Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

how to avoid mandatory quarantine coming from the US?

Old Dec 17, 20, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hello,

I am currently in the US and I want to come to LHR and from there start doing back and forth CE TP runs to IST, OTP, ATH, TFS etc. Fares are under 100 GBP one way! BA Holidays are a steal!

But how do I avoid the mandatory 14-day quarantine?

1) If I have 2 separate tickets (ORD-LHR, LHR-IST) and no checked luggage, can I stay airside while transiting at LHR?

2) What if I had luggage? Could I be allowed to go landside at LHR, pick it up and then travel the same day to IST?

Thank you.

EDIT: I have UK and EU passports.

Last edited by skyscanner; Dec 17, 20 at 11:46 pm
Old Dec 17, 20, 11:27 pm
HAF

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AAPlatinum, UA Exec. Premier, Hilton, Marriott, Delta, Southwest.....
Originally Posted by skyscanner View Post
Hello,

Thank you.
By NOT traveling so you avoid getting yourself and others infected!!!!

Quarantine is there for a reason.

--HAF
Old Dec 17, 20, 11:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Without getting into the issues of compliance and quarantine requirements as part of the public health measures or the risk of infecting others etc, have you checked if you are even entitled to fly to ATH, OTP etc?

Turnarounds are not classified as transits and you might not be allowed to board the flights to those places after having been in the US in the last 14 days (or if you are not holding a suitable residency or passport - some countries are only allowing those who have been in certain countries in the last 14 days if the passenger is holding the passport of the destination country or residency there, regardless of whether than passport if the EU one or not - it is often about having been present in what you could consider a 'disallowed' country, even if you are holding the 'suitable' passport), or may be required to quarantine at the destination, or at least a negative PCR within a certain period may be required.

There are various restrictions in place, and such restrictions are not consistent throughout the EU.
Have a look at the following link for info on each country:
https://reopen.europa.eu/en

Flights are also prone to being cancelled due to restrictions. There is even a potential to be stranded in a locked down location which might not exactly be amusing.

Things are changing very fast as well.

It is not sensible to contemplate anything like a TP run right now.
It is not sensible to assume that things will work out right now just because it had one in the past.

My advice would be simple - don't do it.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 17, 20 at 11:59 pm
Old Dec 17, 20, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello,

I am currently in the US and I want to come to LHR and from there start doing back and forth CE TP runs to IST, OTP, ATH, TFS etc. Fares are under 100 GBP one way! BA Holidays are a steal!

1) If I have 2 separate tickets (ORD-LHR, LHR-IST) and no checked luggage, can I stay airside while transiting at LHR?
2) What if I had luggage? Could I be allowed to go landside at LHR, pick it up and then travel the same day to IST?

Thank you.
With separate tickets you are not transiting in the common usage. Just the end of one flight/ticket and the start of another flight/ticket at the same airport.
Will have legal entry to LHR, IST, OTP, ATH, TFS etc.?

More to allowed to boarding issue as post 3 above (recent thread)-->Denied boarding, tricky one

As post 2 better to stay at home
Old Dec 17, 20, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
With separate tickets you are not transiting in the common usage. Just the end of one flight/ticket and the start of another flight/ticket at the same airport.
Will have legal entry to LHR, IST, OTP, ATH, TFS etc.?

More to allowed to boarding issue as post 3 above (recent thread)-->Denied boarding, tricky one

As post 2 better to stay at home
I am sorry, but I do not understand

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 18, 20 at 12:03 am Reason: Edited by mod to remove problematic comments
Old Dec 17, 20, 11:54 pm

I am sorry, but I do not understand
It is perfectly comprehensible to me, but then, I am familiar with the story Mwenenzi is trying to pass onto you, as I was following the thread in question, so please allow me to explain what Mwenenzi is trying to say to you.

Turnarounds, including on separate tickets, are NOT transits and therefore you need to meet the criteria to ENTER the destination country in order to be allowed to board the flight to that country.

There was a recent case of a denied boarding because the passenger was planning a turnaround at the destination (i.e. flying A-B then B-A on the same day rather than A-B and then B-C on the same day). The recent thread in question --> Denied boarding, tricky one

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 18, 20 at 12:03 am
Old Dec 18, 20, 12:02 am
Original Poster

I do have UK and EU passports. Going to Turkey is fine. I found this at Coronavirus (COVID-19): jobs that qualify for travel exemptions - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Transiting airside through the UK

Applies to:

People transiting airside (individuals who arrive in the UK but do not pass border control).

You will need to complete the passenger locator form before you travel to the UK.

You will not need to self-isolate as you are only transiting via the UK.

You will not need to show anything as you will not pass through the UK border.
Old Dec 18, 20, 12:11 am

Make sure you can enter Turkey, and that you can get back into the US in that case, and check the quarantine requirements, if any, in Turkey and in the US. I'm sure it would not exactly be funny if you are denied entry into the US after your TP run.

An entry into the UK (that is, not just transiting airside in the UK) from the US or from Turkey will require you to quarantine until you leave the UK. You can leave the UK before the end of the mandatory quarantine period.
Old Dec 18, 20, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do have UK and EU passports. Going to Turkey is fine. I found this at Coronavirus (COVID-19): jobs that qualify for travel exemptions - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Transiting airside through the UK
Applies to:
People transiting airside (individuals who arrive in the UK but do not pass border control).
You will need to complete the passenger locator form before you travel to the UK.
You will not need to self-isolate as you are only transiting via the UK.
You will not need to show anything as you will not pass through the UK border.
With separate tickets you are not transiting LHR. Just a ticket that ends at LHR, for which BA will be checking you are OK for entry to UK.
Then another ticket leaving LHR, for which BA will be checking you are OK for entry to Turkey.
If the second LHR-IST flight is cancelled or leaves without you (ORD-LHR is late) you will have problems

Note post 1 has been edited twice plus original
Old Dec 18, 20, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
With separate tickets you are not transiting LHR. Just a ticket that ends at LHR, for which BA will be checking you are OK for entry to UK.
If the second LHR-IST flight is cancelled or leaves without you (ORD-LHR is late) you will have problems
This isn't a problem in the OP's case with a UK passport in any case (i.e. Skycanner won't be denied boarding a flight to the UK, and he won't be denied entry to the UK), except that he needs to quarantine in the UK until he is due to leave (it would have been the same arrangement even if he had a US passport given the UK is not restricting entry on the basis of the passport as part of the Covid measures anyway).

Then another ticket leaving LHR, for which BA will be checking you are OK for entry to Turkey.
I agree this could be an issue if Turkey imposes restrictions on arrivals from the UK, US, UK/EU passport holders etc. But at least he can remain in the UK without any issues except for having to quarantine.
Old Dec 18, 20, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Make sure you can enter Turkey, and that you can get back into the US in that case, and check the quarantine requirements, if any, in Turkey and in the US. I'm sure it would not exactly be funny if you are denied entry into the US after your TP run.

An entry into the UK (that is, not just transiting airside in the UK) from the US or from Turkey will require you to quarantine until you leave the UK. You can leave the UK before the end of the mandatory quarantine period.
I have the US passport as well, so there is no risk of getting denied entry in the US, unless all flights are cancelled.

COVID-19 Information | U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Turkey

Here they say that you are allowed to enter Turkey as a US citizen, no COVID test is required and since you are a foreign tourist, no curfew applies to you.

Right, so the conclusion is that I can do these TP runs as long as I do not get landside in the UK.
Old Dec 18, 20, 12:24 am

I have the US passport as well, so there is no risk of getting denied entry in the US, unless all flights are cancelled.

COVID-19 Information | U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Turkey

Here they say that you are allowed to enter Turkey as a US citizen, no COVID test is required and since you are a foreign tourist, no curfew applies to you.

Right, so the conclusion is that I can do these TP runs as long as I do not get landside in the UK.
Going landside in the UK isn't even an issue as you are allowed to leave the UK during the mandatory quarantine period after arriving internationally.

However, do bear in mind things are changing rather quickly and extra restrictions could be placed any time (e.g. by Turkey), flights could be cancelled at a short notice, and airports could even be closed and trapping you. Another potential issue is travel insurance which is becoming harder to obtain, so you are probably well advised to have a substantial fund in place to cover potential expenses, including medical ones, if you need to travel without insurance.
Old Dec 18, 20, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Going landside in the UK isn't even an issue as you are allowed to leave the UK during the mandatory quarantine period after arriving internationally.
Thank you, I did not know this. So I could even arrive in the UK, stay in a hotel for a day or two then leave the country without having to quarantine for the whole 2 weeks?
Old Dec 18, 20, 12:45 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
Right, so the conclusion is that I can do these TP runs
That does sound more like what you want to hear rather than the conclusion .

So yes, IST is currently viable.

ATH, one of the myriad of other locations you mentioned, certainly is not - at least, not in the format I’m sure you’d like it to be. Greece currently has a mandatory quarantine and a requirement for a negative PCR test prior to travel. Your bargain BAH deal suddenly wouldn’t be such a bargain, let alone managing the logistics of getting the test whilst potentially in quarantine on your return from a country not in the travel corridor list.

On 1st January, given you’d be relying on your UK passport to enter the European countries, the circumstances may well change yet again depending on the result of the ongoing Brexit negotiations between the UK & EU.

If you were really only interested in IST, then just ask about that. It merely muddies the waters to throw in other places.
Old Dec 18, 20, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer View Post
That does sound more like what you want to hear rather than the conclusion .

So yes, IST is currently viable.

ATH, one of the myriad of other locations you mentioned, certainly is not - at least, not in the format I’m sure you’d like it to be. Greece currently has a mandatory quarantine and a requirement for a negative PCR test prior to travel. Your bargain BAH deal suddenly wouldn’t be such a bargain, let alone managing the logistics of getting the test whilst potentially in quarantine on your return from a country not in the travel corridor list.

On 1st January, given you’d be relying on your UK passport to enter the European countries, the circumstances may well change yet again depending on the result of the ongoing Brexit negotiations between the UK & EU.

If you were really only interested in IST, then just ask about that. It merely muddies the waters to throw in other places.
You are right, IST is definitely doable, ATH is too bureaucratic, but I can still get in. As I have already written, I do have a EU passport as well, so I would not rely on the UK passport to enter the EU in 2021. Please read my posts carefully before assuming they "muddy the waters". Thank you.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: