Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Executive Club - is it worth it anymore?

Old Dec 16, 2020, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Folks, I've hit a walll.

I've been EC Gold since 2016, earned the hard way, primarily through PE and strategic upgrades. I've enjoyed the benefits of lounges and discounting with points all the way, but.

My collection year ends in September - and by March 2020, I'd already earned Gold again for 2021/22.

And then COVID.

Customers like me didn't get the additional year of Gold, because we already had it. My reward for spending heavily upfront... was nothing. Plenty of other customer's reward for spending nothing, was an extra year of Gold

So with fewer opportunities to travel, as well as points I can't use with vouchers - despite vouchers literally been as good as money - I'm just wondering whether to bother.

I feel disallusioned with chasing the tiers, because I can't acheive it, because I'm going to be downgraded.

I appreciate there's a good smack of privilege here, so to ask the question - how's everyone feeling about BA EC right now? Is it worth chasing prices for a couple of years, rather than points?

Is there any point in being loyal right now?
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I'd say drop to Silver and not worry about Gold for the foreseeable
HIDDY likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Chasing status for the sake of it was never terribly smart. You earned enough to have Gold for the next year +, I'm not sure it matters that other people had their status extended. Just fly as you normally would and life will seem much simpler.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by captainmargaret
I appreciate there's a good smack of privilege here, so to ask the question - how's everyone feeling about BA EC right now? Is it worth chasing prices for a couple of years, rather than points?
In the other status extension thread others have speculated that BA may extend status again, but there doesn't seem to be any proof or internal rumors at this point. Currently speaking the benefits of even Silver are negligible as most lounges are closed, or reduced offering and loads are relatively light seat selection is a non issue.

I'm in a broadly similar situation to you with a hard drop to Silver coming after many years of Gold or GGL. Assuming your travel pattern will not change in the short term then aside from just letting it drop not much you can do. At the start of the COVID restrictions there were some members who were able to have BA give TP credits for cancelled flights, but they didn't apply that policy uniformly so others/myself lost out that way also - this is buried in the other thread.

Do you hold status with any other airline that you may be close to reaching a similar level as Gold? Use the chance to (travel policy permitting) use other airlines or see if there are better options/prices out there for you. Not sure if you are USA based or not but AA Plat Pro is set to become a OWE status so that may be in reach for you, where Gold on BA may not.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
BA siler, IMHO, is the sweet spot of the program. (But I would say that, my wife is gold so get goldie stuff when we fly together). Joking aside, silver makes life a lot more bearable fir a frequent flier; post covid this will still be the case.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 1:16 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
I'm glad I hit GFL a few years ago. This year is the least I have flown in 13 years. It started well with 2 x Asia trips via DOH by early Feb...
IAMORGAN and malcolmcampbell like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:25 pm

Is there any point in being loyal right now?
Well, we can't do any serious frequent flying for the foreseeable future

I'd already earned Gold again for 2021/22.
So you're effectively silver until 2023, bronze until 2024. By 2024 the airline landscape might be totally different - we could see lounges on a subscription basis like in the US (where even full-fare domestic first class won't do), we could see economy cut up like EasyJet (must get up-front economy to bring a large cabin bag), and so on. No point thinking too far ahead!
HIDDY, lsquare and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cauchy
Well, we can't do any serious frequent flying for the foreseeable future

So you're effectively silver until 2023, bronze until 2024. By 2024 the airline landscape might be totally different - we could see lounges on a subscription basis like in the US (where even full-fare domestic first class won't do), we could see economy cut up like EasyJet (must get up-front economy to bring a large cabin bag), and so on. No point thinking too far ahead!
Yest I'm not really sure what problem the OP has.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I'm glad I hit GFL a few years ago. This year is the least I have flown in 13 years. It started well with 2 x Asia trips via DOH by early Feb...
I hit GFL 12 months ago (returning from Sri Lanka via DOH). Haven't flown since!! But when we do venture out, I am sure I will enjoy the benefits, even if they are pared back
Old Dec 16, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm not sure it matters that other people had their status extended.
of course it matters !

if you feel that a FF programme is treating other members more favourably that is you, then you're going to get disillusioned with that programme.
cosmo74 and TangoOneSeven like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 6:57 pm

Do you make most of your flying decisions about your situation relative to others, rather than your absolute one? I'd hope not.
​​​
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
of course it matters !

if you feel that a FF programme is treating other members more favourably that is you, then you're going to get disillusioned with that programme.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:22 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Some people will always fall out of the path of the extra discretion. There has to be a line drawn somewhere.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
If you're not going to get gold, then drop to silver. Having gold only makes sense when you are using it enough to get the benefits. If you start flying more in future you can get back to gold then if and when you think that is the best option.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have sympathy with the OP as I too got shafted by making the mistake of requalifying in my own right for Gold with an August renewal date. I have spent ages complaining to BAEC that they had said in their email that everyone would get an extension and then later moved the goalposts. All this came to nothing, as I knew it would, but I got to have a rant. Anyway, when the Gold upgrade voucher offer came around recently I contacted BAEC and said, politely of course, that they could shove their offer where the sun doesn't shine as the last offer wasn't honoured and so I wasn't about to believe anything they said and that apart from using my remaining FTV's and points, that would be about it for me and BA. They have now offered to look into whether to extend my Gold status again, their suggestion not mine... I'm not hopeful but you never know!
Old Dec 17, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze
I'd agree that for the majority of people, silver is the sweet spot, the big win is lounge access (admittedly better lounges are a good pull!), but getting away from the crowds is the biggest draw..... now if only I could book a flight / trip that doesn't get cancelled!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.