Use BA or AA app?

Old Dec 14, 20, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Use BA or AA app?

I apologize for asking the following dumb questions, but if I'm flying AA, but crediting my flights to BAEC, do I use the BAEC app to keep track of my flights or AA's app? If both can, which app is superior?
Old Dec 14, 20, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
If you have AA flights then you won't get much functionality from the BA app.
Old Dec 14, 20, 3:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
AA is fundamentally on SABRE and BA on Amadeus, the interface between them uses 1970s architecture and so has many limitations. So for keeping up to date with things like time changes, AA is best for AA metal, BA for BA metal. You may be able to check-in for the AA flight on BA, particularly if it is a codeshared flight, but it doesn't take much for it not to work, typically the AA app will then work. Essentially I use both, being a "guest" user on AA, and for any query I have I work out whether the answer is on SABRE or Amadeus, then use the apps appropriately. So if the AA app shows a cancellation and BA app does not, for AA metal the AA app is going to be correct.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhbloke View Post
If you have AA flights then you won't get much functionality from the BA app.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
AA is fundamentally on SABRE and BA on Amadeus, the interface between them uses 1970s architecture and so has many limitations. So for keeping up to date with things like time changes, AA is best for AA metal, BA for BA metal. You may be able to check-in for the AA flight on BA, particularly if it is a codeshared flight, but it doesn't take much for it not to work, typically the AA app will then work. Essentially I use both, being a "guest" user on AA, and for any query I have I work out whether the answer is on SABRE or Amadeus, then use the apps appropriately. So if the AA app shows a cancellation and BA app does not, for AA metal the AA app is going to be correct.
I guess I'm going to need both apps installed. Believe it or not, in the past when I flew BA and AA, I never used the apps. I used paper tickets and Google to keep track of flights. I would also use the web browser to log into my BA and AA accounts to keep track of points. It was only recently that I concluded that it was faster to use the apps to access my accounts.

corporate-wage-slave, are you saying that you use AA's app as a "guest user" even though you're crediting them to BAEC? Were you able to check-in with AA's app?
Old Dec 14, 20, 3:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I apologize for asking the following dumb questions, but if I'm flying AA, but crediting my flights to BAEC, do I use the BAEC app to keep track of my flights or AA's app? If both can, which app is superior?
Not sure what you mean by keep track of flights.

For day of travel/check-in, use AAs app. It will simply give you more functionality (flight status, gate info, seat assignments, etc.).

If you want to track that your flights did indeed get credited properly, use BAs app/website.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
The AA app will save your booking after you enter the details the first time as a guest. I find the "on the day" experience with the AA app is better than BA's when it comes to notification of gate changes and delays, it also has baggage tracking and airport maps.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 3:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I had a period of time when I used to credit excess TPs (or rather the AA equivalent) to AA, so I had an AA account. The TP structure changed to give benefits up to 9,000 TPs which is relatively new. But trying to shake off my AA account was very difficult, every so often AA (probably an over-helpful AA lounge agent) would register a flight against an account that I had closed - happily it hasn't happened recently. But as a result I always credit to BAEC when flying AA, I always use only my BAEC number in all bookings and dealings with AA, but I use the AA app in guest mode for day to day activities such as SDC or seat changes or checking on connections. That includes checking in, which domestically is very easy, I sometimes send the boarding pass to email but usually I use the in-app boarding pass. International trips can get a bit finnicky if there is a documentation check stage but generally I can get sorted via the AA App. It's quite a good app, in the past it was better than BA, now it's a bit more matched, but it's worth getting the hang of it.

[I still have the US Airways app on my phone, incidentally. The phone is six months old].
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 3:54 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titatnium, HH Gold

corporate-wage-slave, are you saying that you use AA's app as a "guest user" even though you're crediting them to BAEC? Were you able to check-in with AA's app?
That is what I do - I use it as a guest user, enter in the AA record locator and it will pull up the record. You can then use the app to check in and it will also do groovy things like tell you where your checked bags are.
lsquare and dougzz like this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I had a period of time when I used to credit excess TPs (or rather the AA equivalent) to AA, so I had an AA account. The TP structure changed to give benefits up to 9,000 TPs which is relatively new. But trying to shake off my AA account was very difficult, every so often AA (probably an over-helpful AA lounge agent) would register a flight against an account that I had closed - happily it hasn't happened recently. But as a result I always credit to BAEC when flying AA, I always use only my BAEC number in all bookings and dealings with AA, but I use the AA app in guest mode for day to day activities such as SDC or seat changes or checking on connections. That includes checking in, which domestically is very easy, I sometimes send the boarding pass to email but usually I use the in-app boarding pass. International trips can get a bit finnicky if there is a documentation check stage but generally I can get sorted via the AA App. It's quite a good app, in the past it was better than BA, now it's a bit more matched, but it's worth getting the hang of it.

[I still have the US Airways app on my phone, incidentally. The phone is six months old].
Slightly OT, but what do you mean by "TP structure changed to give benefits up to 9,000 TPs"? Was there a cap on how much TP one can earn in a membership year?

I actually have an AA account and my CC points are still posted in my account on a monthly basis. I'm assuming I'll have to log out of my account to be in "guest mode" to do all that you had described earlier?
Old Dec 14, 20, 4:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
you dont have to be logged out.

i'm lifetime plat on AA but credit all flights to BA now for a few years so when i need to fly AA, i use the AA app and am always logged in to my AAdvantage account and use the app to get my AA mobile boarding pass and yes the app is pretty fantastic on day of travel. that said, because my AA flights contain my BAEC number, sometimes it will just disappear from the app, so i have taken to ensuring i include the AA PNR somewhere for my easy reference when i need to look it up on the app. i am ALWAYS mindful to ensure that my BAEC number is on all AA flights since it can be a mess afterwards to credit if a larger amount (not fussed over 40tp, am fussed over 140).

and i use the BA app for any BA flights.

...and us the BA website online to track that my AA flights are appropriately credited since i find the BA app generally lacking.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VSLover View Post
you dont have to be logged out.

i'm lifetime plat on AA but credit all flights to BA now for a few years so when i need to fly AA, i use the AA app and am always logged in to my AAdvantage account and use the app to get my AA mobile boarding pass and yes the app is pretty fantastic on day of travel. that said, because my AA flights contain my BAEC number, sometimes it will just disappear from the app, so i have taken to ensuring i include the AA PNR somewhere for my easy reference when i need to look it up on the app. i am ALWAYS mindful to ensure that my BAEC number is on all AA flights since it can be a mess afterwards to credit if a larger amount (not fussed over 40tp, am fussed over 140).

and i use the BA app for any BA flights.

...and us the BA website online to track that my AA flights are appropriately credited since i find the BA app generally lacking.
Perfect! I get it now. Thank you!
VSLover likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 5:13 am

Perfect! I get it now. Thank you!
great. one last note of warning from prior experience: if an AA flight goes IRROP and i call AA, the revised ticket/routing/flights/whatever will often revert to my AAdvantage number, so thats why i called it out earlier to always check because its easy for an agent to fix on the ground and near impossible once i've set foot on the plane to get the TP credited to BA since AA often credits to the AAdvantage account near immediately.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VSLover View Post
great. one last note of warning from prior experience: if an AA flight goes IRROP and i call AA, the revised ticket/routing/flights/whatever will often revert to my AAdvantage number, so thats why i called it out earlier to always check because its easy for an agent to fix on the ground and near impossible once i've set foot on the plane to get the TP credited to BA since AA often credits to the AAdvantage account near immediately.
Wow, that's good to know. What if you forget? Is it impossible to get AA to remove the flights so that you can credit it to BAEC?
Old Dec 14, 20, 5:38 am

Wow, that's good to know. What if you forget? Is it impossible to get AA to remove the flights so that you can credit it to BAEC?
it is, however it can be a challenge to fight because BA will say AA already credited it (which was true) and i never had success in getting AA to revoke credit so it could be credited to BA--hence my comment that i made peace losing a small credit like 40TP LAX-DEN or something small like that. so i've never had success fighting this, but never really tried because it hasnt been for a larger value flight (knock on wood!).
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 5:46 am

Slightly OT, but what do you mean by "TP structure changed to give benefits up to 9,000 TPs"? Was there a cap on how much TP one can earn in a membership year?

I actually have an AA account and my CC points are still posted in my account on a monthly basis. I'm assuming I'll have to log out of my account to be in "guest mode" to do all that you had described earlier?
I haven't really got the time to deal with incorrect postings to AA, hence I made a clean break, and only use the specific guest mode on the AA App. It's the left side button on the initial screen. But, yes, until a few years ago I think the highest TP benefit was at 6,000 TPs a year, and there was no Lifetime concept either. Complicated further by AA's year-end system aligning with the calendar year, whereas BAEC has a monthly timetable. I have also got top tier status on SkyTeam and Star, so I've come to the view that if you do a fair amount of flying you best stick to one card per atlliance, make the most of it, and don't try to complicate matters for the sake of a trivial number of airmiles sitting in some obscure airline.
lsquare and VSLover like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: