BA and Canaries

Old Dec 12, 20, 8:00 am
Original Poster

BA and Canaries

Apologies for starting a new thread. Has anyone flown to Canaries with negative antigen test result? Is BA allowing to board with antigen tests instead of PCR? There are reports on TripAdvisor of U2 turning away pax with antigen tests despite these being accepted in Canaries.
I booked PCR with Collinsons and now got an email saying I'm all set for LAMP test . Have also booked DocTap antigen test day before my flight.
Old Dec 12, 20, 8:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by flyslow View Post
Apologies for starting a new thread. Has anyone flown to Canaries with negative antigen test result? Is BA allowing to board with antigen tests instead of PCR? There are reports on TripAdvisor of U2 turning away pax with antigen tests despite these being accepted in Canaries.
I booked PCR with Collinsons and now got an email saying I'm all set for LAMP test . Have also booked DocTap antigen test day before my flight.
What a bunch of shysters that lot are.

I’d expect that a bit of digging would find directors related to HM Government Ministers.

Just look at the Manchester Airport Facebook page to see how they are doing. Stories of people booking tests but hearing nothing and thus losing their holidays.

I tried to book a PCR test at MAN for my wife and I. I didn’t hear anything other than a pointer to a website that had spelling mistakes. My wife got a confirmation email 3 hours after the scheduled time - and it was at LHR rather than MAN,

Fortunately, DXB has testing on arrival.
Old Dec 12, 20, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
BA don't check/enforce the need to have a test certificate for boarding flights to the canaries at all, or at least they weren't when I flew out on 10/12.

Also, on arrival in the canaries the local authorities scan everyone's Spain Travel Health QR but to get one of those you only need to tick a box saying you've had a PCR test they don't actually check.

A few passengers get pulled randomly aside at the health control post (between the gate and customs) for an actual check of their cert but the majority just scan their QR and walk straight through...

Last edited by mickeyjaw; Dec 12, 20 at 8:35 am Reason: clarify date I flew without a check
Old Dec 12, 20, 8:31 am

Oh also, if you want a geniune PCR test at LHR then the Sofitel will do you one for 99 as a walk-up, or you can book an overnight 'rest and test' package for about 199. If you take the test by 8pm the day before flying then they promise the test will be carried out overnight and ready in time for a morning flight.
BJ787 and Newbtravelle like this.
Old Dec 12, 20, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Is the Sofitel test acceptable for Spain? I've seen reports saying Spain requires a PCR test via a swab, while the Sofitel says the test is with saliva/spit in tube.

Anyone have experience/know any more?
Old Dec 12, 20, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by sirkay View Post
Is the Sofitel test acceptable for Spain? I've seen reports saying Spain requires a PCR test via a swab, while the Sofitel says the test is with saliva/spit in tube.

Anyone have experience/know any more?
Well,
Spain needs pcr test for entry ( non spit )
Sofitel spit test
what else do you need to know?

Last edited by sunshinebob; Dec 12, 20 at 12:22 pm
Old Dec 12, 20, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 100K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
Well,
Sofitel spit test
Most coronavirus saliva (spit) tests are PCR tests. Hasn't the issue with most saliva tests being accepted that they are self-administered and not witnessed?

FCO does say that Spain requires a PCR swab test:
However, from 23 November, all passengers (excluding children under the age of 6 years old) travelling to Spanish airports and ports from ‘risk’ countries (as determined by the European Centre for Disease Prevention & Control) will be required to present a negative PCR (swab) test taken within no more than 72 hours prior to arrival, in order to enter the country. The UK is currently on the ‘risk’ countries list and passengers arriving from the UK are therefore subject to this requirement.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Dec 12, 20 at 1:34 pm
Old Dec 12, 20, 1:24 pm

Programs: Silver, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw View Post
BA don't check/enforce the need to have a test certificate for boarding flights to the canaries at all, or at least they weren't when I flew out on 10/12.

Also, on arrival in the canaries the local authorities scan everyone's Spain Travel Health QR but to get one of those you only need to tick a box saying you've had a PCR test they don't actually check.

A few passengers get pulled randomly aside at the health control post (between the gate and customs) for an actual check of their cert but the majority just scan their QR and walk straight through...
I hope they all had a negative test as its a 6,000 fine.for not having one.
mickeyjaw likes this.
Old Dec 12, 20, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
Well,
Sofitel spit test
I can't see anything in the official Spanish advice that distinguishes spit vs swab sampling so long as the the lab uses rt-PCR which the Sofitel test definitely does. The UK FCO website says PCR (swab) under Spain's entry requirements but that's not reflected in the English language version of the Spain travel health website which only mentions rt-PCR as the analysis technique and doesn't say anything about the sampling method having to be via swab rather than spit.

Also as a matter of practicality: None of the PCR test result certificates I've seen so far from any UK labs mention the method of sample collection. There is no question/stipulation from Spain Travel Health when you're filling out the online form/app form about the sampling method either. It just asks you to confirm that it was PCR. So in reality there would be no easy way for anyone to distinguish whether your PCR test was by spit or swab, nor are you making a false declaration on the entry form...

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
Most coronavirus saliva (spit) tests are PCR tests. Hasn't the issue with most saliva tests being accepted that they are self-administered and not witnessed?

FCO does say that Spain requires a PCR swab test:
The Sofitel test I took was self-administered but the instructions were clear: That I had to provide the sample then and there in the area that has been set aside as a test area, and that more than a 30 minute delay between payment and handing the sample back would result in them refusing to issue a certificate.

There are plenty of services which will do a postal self-administered swab test and issue a cert, surely that's worse?

Also, you are right that FCO says swab, but nothing I found on any Spanish official government website said swab, just rt-PCR.

I didn't get my test cert checked at the border, but my hotel required the cert for check-in and they seemed happy with what the Sofitel provided.

Originally Posted by SonTech View Post
I hope they all had a negative test as its a 6,000 fine.for not having one.
Funny thing: They don't check at the border (only that you've signed a declaration) but hotels are obliged to double check the actual cert before they let you check in. If they check you in without one then they are liable to be fined. Where I stayed were /way/ more vigilant than the people at the health control border check. The hotel asked me to forward them the email with the certificate PDF then wait for 5-10 mins whilst they tapped and clicked away on a computer before handing me my key...

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 16, 20 at 3:31 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Dec 12, 20, 9:52 pm

Programs: Lowly blue, sometimes Bronze
Anyone have a link for the Sofitel walk up service ?

test and rest lights up Google but the Sofitel promoted link is broken and a search of Sofitel Heathrow does not mention test and rest only the room rate and no mention of walk up testing.

thx
Old Dec 12, 20, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 100K; BA Gold
This is the best description of using the Sofitel HALO test without booking the test and rest room that I have seen:
https://travelingformiles.com/taking...l-heathrow-t5/
Old Dec 13, 20, 1:11 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GFL, Iberia Plus Platino, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw View Post

In my experience this depends, I've flown to Spain twice since 23rd Nov, both from LHR. Once I only to show QR code in order to board flight, but on the other I was asked to show negative PCR test before boarding. So I guess it depends on gate agents
Old Dec 13, 20, 1:36 am

I needed to show a negative PCR test and the QR code on Friday at LHR first wing for flight to LPA.
Old Dec 13, 20, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
This is the best description of using the Sofitel HALO test without booking the test and rest room that I have seen:
https://travelingformiles.com/taking...l-heathrow-t5/
The HALO test description was very useful. How do you find out whether or not a particular country accepts the HALO test or not?
Old Dec 13, 20, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by higham44 View Post
The HALO test description was very useful. How do you find out whether or not a particular country accepts the HALO test or not?
In relation to Spain only:

Here is a link to the actual legislation (in Spanish)

https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2020/11/...2020-14049.pdf

Here is a link to the official Spanish government FAQ (In English):

https://www.mscbs.gob.es/en/profesio...spuestasEN.pdf

Attached is a google translate of the relevant bit of the Legislation.

As I read it, the Halo test should be acceptable. No mention of spit vs swab, only that the test method must be PCR and approved to an EU harmonised standard (CE marked, which the HALO test is), and the cert must have certain info on it (which my Halo test did).

Search this Thread