Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"...don’t worry, we’ll have the kettle on"

Old Dec 12, 20, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club

I received the 2020 thank you email from BA yesterday (only reading now.) I find the last part of the email odd...very colloquial language, and of course, if you're in ET, that tea isn't free.

Suggest then it should read ""...don’t worry, we’ll have the kettle on, and the tea will only cost £2.50."
James91 and masmadrid like this.
Old Dec 12, 20, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My first thought was, "...we'll have the kettle on, so please have your debit card ready."
Old Dec 12, 20, 6:39 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
My first thought was, "...we'll have the kettle on, so please have your debit card ready."
...and gulp it down quick then put your mask back on
masmadrid and James91 like this.
Old Dec 12, 20, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Actually, tea and coffee are free in ET right now! Or at least I got a free coffee out of the crew on BA2731 yesterday by walking up to the galley and asking nicely...
firstlight and volar like this.
Old Dec 12, 20, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by JessicaB View Post
...and gulp it down quick then put your mask back on
If only that were true...

I flew EI LHR to ORK last Sunday (so I'm currently in self-isolation in Ireland.) I believe all along EI has been blocking the middle seat, but that wasn't the case on Sunday. I was by the window (I believe that's best as you're away from those walking to the bathroom), next to me was a married couple. The wife was directly next to me, and as soon as she sat down she pulled Dettol wipes out of her bag and start wiping the area around the seat. She also never removed her mask.

Her husband, however...he was wearing a mask boarding but as soon as he sat down, the mask was off as he had a bag of crisps during taxiing. Mask on for take-off before off again when we got to cruising level as he enjoyed a Pret sandwich. He then ordered a coffee and spent about 40 mins nursing that. Mask on again for landing.

I appreciate the rules allow masks off for eating, but c'mon...he pretty much spent the entire flight maskless.
Old Dec 12, 20, 11:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, Bamboo First, AF Elite+, AV Diamond, A3 G
If you worry so much about masks, spending MH hours in close proximity isn’t ideal, whether it’s a seat away or not.
Old Dec 12, 20, 11:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Folks, we need to quarantine the “mask chat” and ask that we return to the thread’s topic, please

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Dec 16, 20, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Onyx Platinum
My wife and I both thought it was a really nice warm email that felt personally penned. Refreshingly the marketing opportunity was resisted too.
Sealink and ajamieson like this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Sparkyfletch View Post
Refreshingly the marketing opportunity was resisted too.
By BA, or by you?

The email's big blue box saying "See you soon" was a link to a marketing page!
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 5:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by Sparkyfletch View Post
My wife and I both thought it was a really nice warm email that felt personally penned.
I agree. It was more empathetic and intelligent than anything burped out by Cruz for the past five years, and there was a noticeable shift in tone. At this point I don't care if it's simply someone new writing the marketing emails; it's one of the first management messages since 2015 that hasn't been infuriating, sloppy, or both.

Hopefully this marks an end to the "enjoy your menu" era.
Old Dec 16, 20, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw View Post
Actually, tea and coffee are free in ET right now! Or at least I got a free coffee out of the crew on BA2731 yesterday by walking up to the galley and asking nicely...
Indeed, it even says so in the (online) High Life magazine at the moment - "please ask a crew member if you would like a hot drink or juice".
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue
I had a wonderful crew member serve me a cup of tea in ET from TXL-LHR in October and they wrote “Mr Smith, Enjoy your cup of tea!” Thought it was a lovely touch!
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 11:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ajamieson View Post
I agree. It was more empathetic and intelligent than anything burped out by Cruz for the past five years
From my experience working in the industry, airline CEOs tend not to be the ones creating (or even approving) marketing emails.
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 17, 20, 1:06 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Boten View Post
From my experience working in the industry, airline CEOs tend not to be the ones creating (or even approving) marketing emails.
True of almost any industry. In a company strongly identified with a founder, perhaps, but in a broadly held, publicly traded corporation like BA, there are armies of marketing people drafting and revising these things to the nth degree, possibly in consultation with any marketing firm that has been hired to work on particular campaign...

I'd be shocked, albeit pleasantly, if someone like Cruz ever had any direct input on this e-mail.

Search this Thread