Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA cargo strike between Christmas and New Year

Old Dec 12, 2020, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Hi All, long-time reader but first time poster here.

Does anyone know if the BA cargo strike announced yesterday for the days between Christmas and NY is likely to affect passenger operations? The press articles (I can’t post a link) imply that this is confined to BA WorldCargo only but aren’t the same people load cargo and passengers’ bags onto planes?

Have a flight to GRU on the 26th and need to check in bags 😬

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 12, 2020, 1:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Dove777 and welcome to the BA forum. I can post a link, albeit paywalled:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...n-cargo-chaos/

and in line with FT policies, here is a summary:
Heathrow’s cargo operations could be hit by a major strike within days, potentially crippling Britain’s air freight hub and piling further pressure on the country’s creaking logistics system.British Airways cargo workers at the airport have voted overwhelmingly in favour of a walkout which could begin as soon as Christmas Day - less than a week before the UK shifts to its post-Brexit trading regime.
And the short answer is this will not affect passenger baggage handling, which is performed by a different team, which I believe has agreed their new contracts with BA. The worst that could happen is that an inbound aircraft will be slowed down from return to service, but BA have plenty of spare aircraft.
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Dec 12, 2020, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
There is a possibility of cancellations and consolidations, as cargo is all that's keeping some longhaul flights profitable at the moment.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
There is a possibility of cancellations and consolidations, as cargo is all that's keeping some longhaul flights profitable at the moment.
Well, you're full of Christmas cheer, aren't you?

Seriously, thanks for the heads-up. Fingers crossed for my post Christmas and post new year flights sticking!

rb211.
Genius1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.