Have BA axed Baltimore BWI?

Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Have BA axed Baltimore BWI?

I’ve just received cancellations for outbound March 21 and return April 21 and been offered Dulles instead. Have BA axed their Baltimore service altogether or just reduced it?

Best regards,

26left
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC
The route is due to resume on 25th April.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 12:12 pm

Yeap, 25 April onwards (ex Thu/Sat) - at least at the moment.
I doubt if BA would drop that route not least since it was always close to/or 100% full, AND BA was subsidised by the State of Maryland to run that route (a figure of $6M a year springs to mind).
Auto Enthusiast and BearX220 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by 26left
I’ve just received cancellations for outbound March 21 and return April 21 and been offered Dulles instead. Have BA axed their Baltimore service altogether or just reduced it?

Best regards,

26left
Dulles is a pain, the only saving grace at the moment is that it is empty, and the flight uses an A350 (miles better than the 787).
ISTFlyer and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
San Jose, CA has been treated the same.
Rather than splitting multiple flights to multiple airports that are close to each other, it makes sense to consolidate multiple flights into one.

By the way, I agree with CKBA in terms of IAD. If possible when traveling to Washington DC; I prefer to fly IST-LHR-XXX-DCA to avoid IAD.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
By the way, I agree with CKBA in terms of IAD. If possible when traveling to Washington DC; I prefer to fly IST-LHR-XXX-DCA to avoid IAD.
I live about 5 minutes from DCA and always kick myself for taking the extra connection from LHR home instead of just flying non-stop to IAD (at least when not using AA miles/upgrades). That short hop is just annoying at the end of a long travel day.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Agreed. Never understand why people add additional hour(s) onto their journey which end up costing more time overall. Dulles isn’t a great airport I agree but it’s realistically under an 45-1hr 9/10 into DC.

Would be like taking an extra connection and flying into City to avoid flying into Heathrow if you live in East London
Old Dec 9, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I don't want to get off topic but if I don't have time constraints, I generally take a detour if the connecting option is cheaper or around the same price.
Time is money in general but when you are sitting in a hotel room and doing nothing, that money is zero unless you have other things to do. Miles and airline points are also worth money.
GrumpyYoungMan and Confus like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 5:09 pm

There’s a time for LHR-IAD non-stop... and a time for LGW-JER-LGW/LCY-SNN-JFK-T8 flagship-DCA... and it’s not for you or me to decide who should do which and on which occasion. I have done both and would do so again in the same circumstances. YMMV of course.

In normal times there’s also LHR-BWI, which if it connects well with a direct train from the airport into DC can also be a decent option.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Confus
In normal times there’s also LHR-BWI, which if it connects well with a direct train from the airport into DC can also be a decent option.
I've used the train option at BWI and it's a 5-10 minute bus ride from the terminal to the train station, plus a 30-45 minute ride on a train with infrequent schedules during non-business hours ( there is Amtrak and a commuter train option where the commuter train is a bit slower than Amtrak ). For ex-BWI, you could leave your house/hotel by looking at the train schedule but on the other way, you might end up waiting 1h-1h30mins for a train depending on the speed of the immigration/baggage claim process.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:02 pm

... at least the 'terminal parking' (okay, 5 mins walk) at IAD is only $10/day at the moment, although BWI daily garage is $6/day.
Pity the IAD lounge is closed though.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
Depends where you're going. Dulles is fine if you're going to DC, but to Baltimore it's a massive pain.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:12 am

When I was working in DC I would seldom use IAD which would involve either a taxi (expensive), shared ride (slow), or Silver line and then connecting bus....with all my luggage (and there was sometimes a lot of it!).
I found it much preferable to connect from DCA (and on the way back to the UK there were times when I was just leaving the office 90mins before my departure time). There was also the added incentive that I would earn more tier points on the connecting domestic (sometimes an extral 20% in TPs depending on fare class). Plus the pleasure of either the Flagship or BA lounges at JFK, ORD or BOS...., and sometimes the AA Arrivals lounge at T3! Actually a more enjoyable trip all told.

I think I only used BWI once when it was by far the cheapest option....
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is also a direct bus ( line 5A ) from IAD to DC ( stops in Arlington ) which I use when I travel to IAD. Pre-COVID and Post-COVID, that bus mostly had more airport employees than passengers as it is not that known. The bus ride takes 45-50 minutes and it's normally $7.50, however free of charge at the moment ( due to COVID ). The only major downgrade of the bus is that you might wait up to 1h for this line as it doesn't run that frequently.

Uber/Lyft from/to IAD could be surge pricing to central DC at some points which could go up to $95 ( post-COVID highest rate that I've seen ), $115 ( pre-COVID highest rate that I've seen ). Though, at cheaper times, you could find an Uber/Lyft for $30-40.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:23 pm

BWI is far more convenient than IAD if your destination is Baltimore...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.