Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

March 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

March 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Just had a cancellation notice for:

March 17 LHR - DBV
March 22 DBV - LHR

Ironically, this trip was rescheduled from March 2020 due to Croatia's COVID-19 quarantine rules at the time which meant my trip made little sense, but BA actually ran the flight so I had to voluntarily cancel at the last minute for a voucher which I subsequently used to re-book for 2021.

Plenty of time yet to ponder my options. Had a ridiculously cheap stay at the Hilton booked, so a 'free' re-book on BA later in the year is likely to cost me in increased accommodation charges. Much research to be done...
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:40 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
I would read that as schools vs. pubs, restaurants, or allowing more mixing vs. travel per se.

My expectation is that as lockdown ends and the country moves to a Tier 1-3 or Tier 1-4 system, at least those first few tiers are not going to have a formal non-essential international travel ban. Time will tell I guess....
Yeah I think the lower Tiers will be fine for travel, but if regions are starting in March with Tier 4 again and with revisions every 2 weeks, its going to be April and beyond before anyone gets a sniff of any Tier 2 action.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:41 am

I would read that as schools vs. pubs, restaurants, or allowing more mixing vs. travel per se.

My expectation is that as lockdown ends and the country moves to a Tier 1-3 or Tier 1-4 system, at least those first few tiers are not going to have a formal non-essential international travel ban. Time will tell I guess....
i rather suspect we will be moving to a not vaccinated cant travel regime - as a global policy not just UK
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:47 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Between the bother and expense of Covid-tests, juggling the 72 hour rule, quarantine restrictions going and coming back from many places (assuming that flights from the UK are allowed at all) and the spectre of being stuck in an airport hotel for however long - really makes for little incentive to travel anywhere.

Our MAD flight was cancelled for mid March which suits me down to the ground.
Misco60 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Swissroll
i rather suspect we will be moving to a not vaccinated cant travel regime - as a global policy not just UK
Eventually? Perhaps. But given the time it will take to vaccinate all normally healthy adults, that's not going to happen in March.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu
Yeah I think the lower Tiers will be fine for travel, but if regions are starting in March with Tier 4 again and with revisions every 2 weeks, its going to be April and beyond before anyone gets a sniff of any Tier 2 action.
Wonder if end of March flights will survive as many holidays may include Easter usually a big revenue earner. Doesn't help either though when Raab says don't book summer holidays yet ! Why not if fully refundable?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Has anyone used the online cancellation/refund form - if so, what timescales for refunds to appear?
I put a couple through on this during the week before Christmas (simple reward bookings, hadn't been changed or upgraded etc) and they were processed and Avios and cash refunded within a couple of days. There may be more of a backlog now than there was then though, given recent cancellations. I've just put another one through on the form today so let's see.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by paulaf
Wonder if end of March flights will survive as many holidays may include Easter usually a big revenue earner. Doesn't help either though when Raab says don't book summer holidays yet ! Why not if fully refundable?
Given the loads, one would certainly hope so for BA's sake. We were forced to select our destination given how many J flights are sold out. Also, I imagine by Easter, compliance may certainly start to suffer if holidays are still "banned."
paulaf and Nephoi like this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:14 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Given the loads, one would certainly hope so for BA's sake. We were forced to select our destination given how many J flights are sold out. Also, I imagine by Easter, compliance may certainly start to suffer if holidays are still "banned."
The need for tests to come back into the country will be enough of a barrier for many.
haroon145 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Had BA 165 LHR - TLV 10/03/21 cancelled over the weekend. Refund received within 36 hours.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Nephoi
yeah, that's Bremen. they are awesome!
cancellation waves like these are always a good opportunity to thank them. they are doing a great job and try to help as much as they can/are allowed to. I don't want to do that job in these times.
Thanks for the information - I just sent in a Golden Ticket!
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:54 am

today 2 cancelation for me
LHR-WAW on 2 March

and
LHR-MXP-LHR 10-14 March

looks like Milan they left only 1 service per day from LHR and one from LCY to LIN

happy with cancelations now I can rebook any time then I will need it...
Old Jan 18, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Two more for me over the last 24 hours:

LHR-ZAG(-SPU)-ZAG-LHR 12-14 March
LHR-AGP 26 March
Old Jan 18, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by A P Yu
As I understand, formally and legally, we still have the tiers, it is just that the whole country is on Tier 4.

On its own Tier 3 wont preclude international tourism (no prohibition of leaving home for specific purposes) but reality is that taken with other rules and guidance it wont see a return to mass travel.

Tier 2 might as long as it is aligned with other changes - so travel insurance valid, testing if needed is cheap, other country borders open etc. On the way up T2 needed any hot spots in an area to be under 150/100k. Even with vaccine roll out that is going to take a while for much of the country.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
The re-entry requirements might be a real issue for summer travel. The corridors have been closed/scrapped. Im not sure the epidemiology supports closing the borders at this stage, rather than 12 months ago. But the classic solution of blaming Johnny Foreigner plays well.
Compliance wont be much of an issue if tests are required on entry to destinations and return to the U.K. The cost and risk of isolation abroad are huge issues. What would you do if you had a positive test before departure back to the U.K.?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.