Wiki Posts
Search

Flying into EDI from LCY

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2020, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold. Marriott Platinum
Flying into EDI from LCY

Long time lurker, first time poster so apologies if i should have posted this in an existing thread.

My Christmas plans to go overseas have been cancelled so I'm desperately trying to squeeze as much work in as possible before the end of the year! What's the situation flying into EDI at the moment? I've just booked a flight up next Thursday from LCY with my wife. A potential client has invited me up to hopefully seal the deal and I'll stay on a few days to work on the contract if so as I have family up there I can visit from the 23rd. It'll all be socially distanced etc and I'll be mostly working from the hotel room.
However my wife has just said the border is closed expect for work purposes? This trip is justifiable as work under my understanding of exemptions., however I just wondered if people have been stopped at either London or EDI and asked to provide evidence of why they are there? The last thing i want to do is pay for a flight and get stuck at the airport. I also really really need this client to give me the contract which would at least salvage something of 2020..
Old Dec 9, 2020, 3:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Without commenting ont the restrictions - which are constantly changing anyway and potentially it's more at the London end..... - no, no-one is checking reasons for travel at LHR, LCY or EDI or its environs. At least no-one has approached me, though from the way I dress it's pretty obvious that I'm, well, a corporate wage slave. And I'm probably a bit scary too.

Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum robhicky, I hope that we will see more of you.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Thanks CWS!
Hmm being in the creative industries does make me dress down a bit more than I suspect you do but maybe i'll dust off those smarter clothes!
Old Dec 9, 2020, 3:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I have heard of questions being asked on arrival in Scotland, specifically GLA on the first weekday after the restrictions were brought in to force - so that may well have been a "first day" thing. I don't think that it is happening regularly or across all airports in Scotland. If you are working that would be fine, work where it is not possible to do so from home is a reasonable excuse for entering Scotland. I think it is more likely than not you won't be stopped at all, but it may be a good idea to have some evidence with you of your purpose, so copy of email arranging the trip with your client or letter from your employer.

Certainly there should be no expectation of being stopped or questioned in England or LCY. You would not need to submit a PLF for this trip either.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by robhicky
Long time lurker, first time poster so apologies if i should have posted this in an existing thread.

My Christmas plans to go overseas have been cancelled so I'm desperately trying to squeeze as much work in as possible before the end of the year! What's the situation flying into EDI at the moment? I've just booked a flight up next Thursday from LCY with my wife. A potential client has invited me up to hopefully seal the deal and I'll stay on a few days to work on the contract if so as I have family up there I can visit from the 23rd. It'll all be socially distanced etc and I'll be mostly working from the hotel room.
However my wife has just said the border is closed expect for work purposes? This trip is justifiable as work under my understanding of exemptions., however I just wondered if people have been stopped at either London or EDI and asked to provide evidence of why they are there? The last thing i want to do is pay for a flight and get stuck at the airport. I also really really need this client to give me the contract which would at least salvage something of 2020..
YMMV...

With that being said, I was not questioned when I flew from Heathrow to Edinburgh two weeks ago. It was a rather pleasant experience with the exception of the lengthy wait for my priority bags to come out at EDI.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 12:37 pm

Edinburgh Airport calls itself Scotland's gateway to the world, and there are flights every day to outside the UK - let alone internally.

There are no checks on the roads or the trains, and none on the aircraft. Police Scotland are on record as saying it is not their job to charge people with infringements of the movement regulations - but just as they might check your tyres if you get stopped for something else, you might get questioned about why you are travelling if you have some other reason to interact with Scotland's Finest.

I understand that the few - less than 20 or so - movement fines that have been issued have followed road traffic offences, such as speeding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.