Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

Arrival in BGI: fast track (F pax)

Old Dec 8, 20, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver

A bit of advice please from someone who knows the current immigration procedures at BGI (Barbados) ...

We'll be arriving with 2 small kids and would like the smoothest immigration experience possible. (We're flying F.)

I've come across a number of options when trawling the web from mention of "red caps" to "fast track services".

What makes the most sense assuming we want to spend the minimum time queuing (and if possible get our covid tests sorted at the airport, rather than paying for them to happen at the hotel) ?

Thank you in advance

Last edited by bmj1; Dec 8, 20 at 3:56 am Reason: clarity
Old Dec 8, 20, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by bmj1 View Post
A bit of advice please from someone who knows the current immigration procedures at BGI (Barbados) ...

We'll be arriving with 2 small kids and would like the smoothest immigration experience possible. (We're flying F.)

I've come across a number of options when trawling the web from mention of "red caps" to "fast track services".

What makes the most sense assuming we want to spend the minimum time queuing (and if possible get our covid tests sorted at the airport, rather than paying for them to happen at the hotel) ?

Thank you in advance
The immigration process deatils - https://www.visitbarbados.org/covid-...uidelines-2020
Red caps are baggage handlers
Fast track is a chargeable cut the queue service - https://www.fivestarfasttrack.com/
Adults need a negative covid certificate to land into barbados ( see first link ). Test done in the three days before arrival.
A second test is required 4/5 days after first test at hotel (chargeable) or local polyclinic (free)
Passengers quarantine until results of second test are recieved

NB some pax have reported queues of up to 3 hours at the aiport on arrival in recent weeks.
A P Yu and mikeyfly like this.
Old Dec 8, 20, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bmj1 View Post

Thank you in advance
I assume you are coming from the UK...you will need PCR test taken in the UK within three days prior to arrival in Barbados (medium and high-risk countries). There won't be any facility at the airport for this (ie I suspect you won't be allowed to board without them). I'm not sure what the protocol is for toddlers.
Old Dec 8, 20, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I'm not sure what the protocol is for toddlers.
Current rules (from 10 November) are that accompanied minors under-5 do not require a PCR test unless they are symptomatic or a member of their party tests positive.
Old Dec 8, 20, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
If you're in F I wouldn't bother paying for any fast track service - you'll be first off, they bus you to the terminal (completely unnecessary) in very small groups and there are so few flights at the minute that i don't think there should be anyone in front of you when you arrive (although check the timings of Virgin flights, that may change soon). When i arrived i was in WTP and made it through pretty quickly. If you are going to book a fast track service, then make sure it is a private one and not one where you might have to wait for a group to join you (eg there were a lot of people using the Fairmont service and they came through in one big group after me).

They are pretty organised - as you walk down the outside walkway from where they drop you off, they will check your PCR test (best to have a print out), you'll then get into the terminal where they will give you a wristband and ask you where you are staying - you'll then be directed to a desk where you'll get a wristband for that hotel, and need to fill out a locator form (make sure you have a pen to hand), When you've done that you'll go through passport control - there are lots of electronic booths, but they weren't in use and you went to the desk, there was no queue though. The only place I had to queue was to see the nurses after passport control who talk you through taking your temperature each day and sending the results. After that, you're in the luggage hall where there are red caps available who will assist with luggage (have money to tip) - I made it through before my suitcases.
jettad likes this.
Old Dec 8, 20, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cosmo74 View Post
If you're in F I wouldn't bother paying for any fast track service - you'll be first off, they bus you to the terminal (completely unnecessary) in very small groups and there are so few flights at the minute that i don't think there should be anyone in front of you when you arrive (although check the timings of Virgin flights, that may change soon). When i arrived i was in WTP and made it through pretty quickly. If you are going to book a fast track service, then make sure it is a private one and not one where you might have to wait for a group to join you (eg there were a lot of people using the Fairmont service and they came through in one big group after me).

They are pretty organised - as you walk down the outside walkway from where they drop you off, they will check your PCR test (best to have a print out), you'll then get into the terminal where they will give you a wristband and ask you where you are staying - you'll then be directed to a desk where you'll get a wristband for that hotel, and need to fill out a locator form (make sure you have a pen to hand), When you've done that you'll go through passport control - there are lots of electronic booths, but they weren't in use and you went to the desk, there was no queue though. The only place I had to queue was to see the nurses after passport control who talk you through taking your temperature each day and sending the results. After that, you're in the luggage hall where there are red caps available who will assist with luggage (have money to tip) - I made it through before my suitcases.
Thanks for this, super helpful
Old Dec 22, 20, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Update - for anyone reading this later: the queues on arrival were a bit crazy, and from reading the internet, the smart move is to buy the fast track, as there are currently 3 queues - each entered sequentially:

1) Wristband/tagging based on departure airport
2) Passport control
3) Medical check

We spend roughly 90 mins queuing, having been one of the first to deplane..

Would highly recommend the fast track during covid times... my understanding is they will walk you to the front of all 3 queues..
Old Dec 23, 20, 12:37 am

Recent Telegraph article here about visiting Barbados during COVID in December 20, includes fast track arrival experience (44, and as bmj1 says, you are walked to the front of every queue) and awaiting test results on the island (tip, use a company that will provide express results):

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/a...-worth-hassle/
Old Dec 23, 20, 1:12 pm

[Removed comment]

Last edited by stuvoi; Dec 23, 20 at 3:37 pm Reason: Comment upset someone
Old Dec 23, 20, 3:21 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

removed...

Last edited by DYKWIA; Dec 23, 20 at 3:41 pm
Old Dec 23, 20, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Reading between the lines, youre saying that somebody should say they need a wheelchair, so that they can jump the queues. Nice
The recommendation was meant to be light hearted and not actual advice that someone might take.

There was nothing between the lines to be read..
Old Dec 23, 20, 3:36 pm

Reading between the lines, youre saying that somebody should say they need a wheelchair, so that they can jump the queues. Nice
I didn't realise it would upset anyone. I'd edit the post and remove the comment, but as you've quoted it, it's still there unless you removed the quote (I think, I'm not 100% sure how it works)
Old Dec 23, 20, 3:41 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by stuvoi View Post
I didn't realise it would upset anyone. I'd edit the post and remove the comment, but as you've quoted it, it's still there unless you removed the quote (I think, I'm not 100% sure how it works)
Done
Old Dec 23, 20, 3:43 pm

Done
Removed mine too...

Search this Thread