Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cancelling partly flied ticket (Club World)

Cancelling partly flied ticket (Club World)

Old Dec 7, 20, 3:29 am
formerly maskelo
Original Poster

Question Cancelling partly flied ticket (Club World)

Hi All,

Question. I decided to cancel a partly flied BA Club World flight from South America and book the return with Avios as the fare difference was ridiculous (c. $3k per ticket). I now have a return leg to cancel, what would be the best option? How would a voucher be calculated in this scenario? Any advice is welcomed
Old Dec 7, 20, 3:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Your fare will be recalculated according to the actual journey that you have flown. In your case, your return fare will be recalculated to a one-way fare, which may end up being more expensive than what you paid (and there will be no voucher to speak of). I'd check if you can use the inbound flight at some point in the future.
Old Dec 7, 20, 3:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I was under the impression that if both sectors operate as scheduled, the return leg could be sent to a FTV, calculated using Involuntary Refund processes, rather than a Voluntary Refund. I am tentative about this since I have no experience of FTVs on return legs and they were only introduced fairly recently. But it would not make sense to issue FTVs using Voluntary Refund calculations, you may as well hand over the cash. There is also the option of rebooking the return paying fare difference only, which if calculated on a historical basis - which is the norm for part flown sectors - may be low or zero (or a lot).
Old Dec 7, 20, 3:48 am
formerly maskelo
Original Poster

Thanks! How sould it work to request an involuntary refund process?
Old Dec 7, 20, 7:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bestuseofpoints View Post
Thanks! How sould it work to request an involuntary refund process?
Subject to the point I made earlier about not having first hand experience, as I understand it you simply apply for the FTV in the usual way in Manage My Booking / Cancel options. Make sure you are definitely apply for the FTV and not a refund, by all means reach out here for help on this, but the Future Travel Voucher should be clearly identified on the screen.

If you want an Involuntary Refund in cash, your flight will need to be cancelled. If you are OK with a Voluntary Refund then you need to call up for this. Various other details are important here, for example it needs to be a BA ticket (125) and BA metal.
Old Dec 7, 20, 10:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I was under the impression that if both sectors operate as scheduled, the return leg could be sent to a FTV, calculated using Involuntary Refund processes, rather than a Voluntary Refund.
Yes, you are right CWS. It escaped my attention that the fare rules only apply to cash refunds but a FTV can be requested even when mid-journey.
Old Dec 8, 20, 7:48 am
formerly maskelo
Original Poster

Thanks, great. Is there a way of knowing what will be given on the FTV or is it a case of submitting and waiting for it? It was a CW return, fare about USD 1,750 pp, flown fully first leg, second due on 17/12 but will not be flown. Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: