FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Cancelling partly flied ticket (Club World) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2029814-cancelling-partly-flied-ticket-club-world.html)

bestuseofpoints Dec 7, 2020 3:29 am

Cancelling partly flied ticket (Club World)

Hi All,

Question. I decided to cancel a partly flied BA Club World flight from South America and book the return with Avios as the fare difference was ridiculous (c. $3k per ticket). I now have a return leg to cancel, what would be the best option? How would a voucher be calculated in this scenario? Any advice is welcomed

Andriyko Dec 7, 2020 3:33 am

Your fare will be recalculated according to the actual journey that you have flown. In your case, your return fare will be recalculated to a one-way fare, which may end up being more expensive than what you paid (and there will be no voucher to speak of). I'd check if you can use the inbound flight at some point in the future.

corporate-wage-slave Dec 7, 2020 3:39 am

I was under the impression that if both sectors operate as scheduled, the return leg could be sent to a FTV, calculated using Involuntary Refund processes, rather than a Voluntary Refund. I am tentative about this since I have no experience of FTVs on return legs and they were only introduced fairly recently. But it would not make sense to issue FTVs using Voluntary Refund calculations, you may as well hand over the cash. There is also the option of rebooking the return paying fare difference only, which if calculated on a historical basis - which is the norm for part flown sectors - may be low or zero (or a lot).

bestuseofpoints Dec 7, 2020 3:48 am

Thanks! How sould it work to request an involuntary refund process?

corporate-wage-slave Dec 7, 2020 7:06 am

Originally Posted by bestuseofpoints (Post 32868044)
Thanks! How sould it work to request an involuntary refund process?

Subject to the point I made earlier about not having first hand experience, as I understand it you simply apply for the FTV in the usual way in Manage My Booking / Cancel options. Make sure you are definitely apply for the FTV and not a refund, by all means reach out here for help on this, but the Future Travel Voucher should be clearly identified on the screen.

If you want an Involuntary Refund in cash, your flight will need to be cancelled. If you are OK with a Voluntary Refund then you need to call up for this. Various other details are important here, for example it needs to be a BA ticket (125) and BA metal.

Andriyko Dec 7, 2020 10:22 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32868035)
I was under the impression that if both sectors operate as scheduled, the return leg could be sent to a FTV, calculated using Involuntary Refund processes, rather than a Voluntary Refund.

Yes, you are right CWS. It escaped my attention that the fare rules only apply to cash refunds but a FTV can be requested even when mid-journey.

bestuseofpoints Dec 8, 2020 7:48 am

Thanks, great. Is there a way of knowing what will be given on the FTV or is it a case of submitting and waiting for it? It was a CW return, fare about USD 1,750 pp, flown fully first leg, second due on 17/12 but will not be flown. Thanks