FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   DOM to DOM connection LHR lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2029723-dom-dom-connection-lhr-lounge.html)

asnovici Dec 5, 2020 9:31 am

DOM to DOM connection LHR lounge

Connecting at LHR from EDI to BHD (dont ask!) and it sounds like its a non common occurence to connect domestically at LHR for several reasons. Having said that, I also did some research and it appears there is no security check for these connections which is perfect. Question is, with an hour twenty between the flights, will I be able to use the lounge? Also, any experience with the checked bag transfer for these flights? All seamless as it should be? Thanks

sammyg901 Dec 5, 2020 9:33 am

You'll have access and would have a few minutes I think if all on time

I vaguely recall an issue with these connections in that you won't pass anywhere to get your photo taken which will cause trouble at boarding, I'm sure one of the experts will be along shortly to advise!

Genius1 Dec 5, 2020 9:35 am

You can have your photo taken at the desk in the arrivals corridor in T5, just before passing into the departure lounge, or at the electronic gates. There is no security, and your bags will be checked through if all on one ticket. Currently, the Galleries First and Galleries Club South lounges are open.

asnovici Dec 5, 2020 9:36 am

Originally Posted by sammyg901 (Post 32864750)
You'll have access and would have a few minutes I think if all on time

I vaguely recall an issue with these connections in that you won't pass anywhere to get your photo taken which will cause trouble at boarding, I'm sure one of the experts will be along shortly to advise!

Thats what I read also but didnt quite understand what that whole picture taking thing is. Would be interesting to learn.

Gastrocnemius Dec 5, 2020 9:37 am

i do this all the time

separate transfer at the North end of the terminal- all Domestic arrivals are processed at that end.

e-gate for boarding card, picture taken, which is then deleted at your departure gate, up a escalator, and deposited in the terminal

plenty of time for a lounge- bit of a trek to the south complex, but hey ho!

asnovici Dec 5, 2020 9:39 am

Is finding the place to take the picture taken an obvious process?

Gastrocnemius Dec 5, 2020 9:41 am

Originally Posted by asnovici (Post 32864763)

it is part of the e-gate- the black post has a camera in it and it lights up green when your image is captured. you cannot get through without this happening

Genius1 Dec 5, 2020 9:44 am

Originally Posted by asnovici (Post 32864756)
Thats what I read also but didnt quite understand what that whole picture taking thing is. Would be interesting to learn.

The photo is checked when you scan your boarding pass at the gate to board your domestic flight to confirm your identity, as you don't need a passport for domestic flights.

Originally Posted by asnovici (Post 32864763)

Yes, the desks are to the left of the electronic boarding pass gates that will let you into the departure lounge - you can also have the photo taken automatically at the electronic boarding pass gate, which won't open unless you've had your photo taken.

asnovici Dec 5, 2020 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Genius1 (Post 32864779)
The photo is checked when you scan your boarding pass at the gate to board your domestic flight to confirm your identity, as you don't need a passport for domestic flights.

Yes, the desks are to the left of the electronic boarding pass gates that will let you into the departure lounge - you can also have the photo taken automatically at the electronic boarding pass gate, which won't open unless you've had your photo taken.

It sounds like there is really no need to worry about the picture taken until I actually board as it can be taken at the electronic boarding pass gate, correct?

Genius1 Dec 5, 2020 9:50 am

Originally Posted by asnovici (Post 32864786)
It sounds like there is really no need to worry about the picture taken until I actually board as it can be taken at the electronic boarding pass gate, correct?

The electronic boarding pass gate is before you get into the departure lounge, and it won't let you in without you having your photo taken. It's a two second process and the screen will tell you where to look to have the photo taken once you scan your boarding pass for your onward flight.

Once you're at the gate for your flight, you scan your boarding pass and look into the camera again for identity check.

It's definitely nothing to worry about.

Globaliser Dec 5, 2020 10:04 am

Originally Posted by asnovici (Post 32864756)

The photo confirms that you are "inside" the UK for immigration purposes. This is the case if you have arrived at T5 on a domestic flight. It is also the case if you have checked-in landside at T5 and then entered the airside area through security.

The confirmation is needed because once you are beyond security (if coming from landside), or once you have entered the departure lounge (if you are connecting from a domestic flight), you will be mixing with passengers who have arrived at T5 on international flights, who have not cleared immigration, and are therefore "outside" the UK for immigration purposes. The photo system allows both "inside" and "outside" passengers to mix before boarding, and means that only those who are "inside" the UK are allowed to board an onward domestic flight. This is why the photo that was taken earlier is checked when you board the onward domestic flight.

But this is why you must have your photo taken within the transit route before you leave the domestic arrivals stream and enter the departure lounge, even though there is no need for you to clear security again.

antichef Dec 5, 2020 10:09 am

Don't worry about a thing ... as Bob Marley used to sing!

I regularly do ABZ-LHR-BHD. As you get off at LHR you stay airside and walk to the domestic transfer desk. It has electronic gates just as at the boarding gates and a manned gate. When you get there you then scan your boarding pass for the BHD flight at the electronic gate and you get your face scan at the same time. You then go up the escalator and come out close to the Gates 1-6 north end of the terminal. If your time is short use the North lounge otherwise just head up to the south lounges.

Your luggage should be ok too.

asnovici Dec 5, 2020 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 32864836)
The photo confirms that you are "inside" the UK for immigration purposes. This is the case if you have arrived at T5 on a domestic flight. It is also the case if you have checked-in landside at T5 and then entered the airside area through security.

The confirmation is needed because once you are beyond security (if coming from landside), or once you have entered the departure lounge (if you are connecting from a domestic flight), you will be mixing with passengers who have arrived at T5 on international flights, who have not cleared immigration, and are therefore "outside" the UK for immigration purposes. The photo system allows both "inside" and "outside" passengers to mix before boarding, and means that only those who are "inside" the UK are allowed to board an onward domestic flight. This is why the photo that was taken earlier is checked when you board the onward domestic flight.

But this is why you must have your photo taken within the transit route before you leave the domestic arrivals stream and enter the departure lounge, even though there is no need for you to clear security again.

Thank you for this! Now I understand.

TRISTAR1979 Dec 5, 2020 10:45 am

I also do this on a fairly regular basis GLA-LHR-BHD, just like any connection from a domestic flight only when the check your boarding pass before you enter the gate area they will take your photo at the boarding pass check. Plenty of Lounge time as there is no security to go through.

I much prefer this to a SlezyJet direct. Bit of shopping and lounge time at LHR makes the short trip seem a bit more exciting.

Genius1 Dec 5, 2020 10:58 am

Originally Posted by antichef (Post 32864847)
If your time is short use the North lounge otherwise just head up to the south lounges.

Galleries Club North is currently closed, so depending on when the OP is travelling the South lounges may be the only options.