Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel (stay & park) suggestions - T5

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA EC Gold
Hotel (stay & park) suggestions - T5

Hello, so after nearly a year of being grounded and with no future bookings showing in my EC account, I'm back up and running with a couple of trips booked for 2021.
The first of these is a family trip to BOG via MAD over Easter.
Thanks to COVID I've finally moved out of London and to the seaside. The outbound flight is an early one so I'm in the unfamiliar territory of needing a hotel with parking @T5.
The obvious solution is Sofitel, however I gather from previous threads that the Thistle can be a decent option too, particularly given it's POD access.
Having looked into this a little further it looks like the PODs aren't avail currently and it's by no means clear whether transfers to the terminal and back are available at all, other than the local bus service.
Anyone have recent first hand knowledge of the Thistle situation?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
The Marriott on Bath Road does parking bookable via JustPark, last time used them last month it was about £36 for a week. You could stay there and then get the bus (just outside on Bath Rd) or Uber/Addison Lee to T5.

(Although you don't need to be staying at the hotel to use it)
dca100 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dca100
Having looked into this a little further it looks like the PODs aren't avail currently and it's by no means clear whether transfers to the terminal and back are available at all, other than the local bus service.
Anyone have recent first hand knowledge of the Thistle situation?
I think it is very difficult to predict how things will work in the next 2 weeks, let alone late March next year. It would be more sensible to leave this until nearer the time otherwise you risk getting boxed in quite mightily. But hypothetically, when the Thistle reopens on 16 December there will be both a Hoppa and the public bus services running. At some point the POD will become available again, but that's also crystal ball stuff.
dca100 and MaxFlyer like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks both. Wise-words indeed C-W-S. I'll hold-off for now while keeping half an eye on Sofitel prices.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Although it is still unknown, it might be worth booking a workable plan now - official car parking is cancellable as are many of the hotels, so you are not that boxed in. I'm in the same boat wrt travel and for anything before about midday will stay the night before.

For family plus baggage I'd be looking for a hotel nearby and then drive to the car park in the morning (or sofitel). The hoppa/TFL bus options are difficult enough with one set of baggage let alone a family's worth. Thistle is an option, and sometimes has excellent value room plus parking rates but it is a bit tired - and the POD is extra - at £6 per person, each way!
Old Dec 2, 2020, 7:30 am
Original Poster

the POD is extra - at £6 per person, each way!
Ouch!

Sofitel currently works out at about £250 for 1 nights stay and 10 days parking for the 3 of us, fully cancellable which doesn't seem *too* bad.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Ouch!

Sofitel currently works out at about £250 for 1 nights stay and 10 days parking for the 3 of us, fully cancellable which doesn't seem *too* bad.
Assuming that the hotel element is 50% of that price then parking at Heathrow T5 @ 50p an hour is pretty good money in my book.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Just a reminder not to count on the currently free TfL buses remaining free next year. Although paying £1.50 is probably still better than the hotel hopper thing.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...e-travel-zone/
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
By all accounts the Premier Inn at T4 is pretty good. You can walk easily to T4 (undercover) I believe then take the train for Nada to T5 I think. Might be worth investigating further.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by nivsy
By all accounts the Premier Inn at T4 is pretty good. You can walk easily to T4 (undercover) I believe then take the train for Nada to T5 I think. Might be worth investigating further.
No walkway at the moment as LHR Terminal 4 is currently closed as is the T4 rail station. The TfL bus (directions here)or Uber would be the best options to T5.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Ouch!

Lastminute.com normally have cheap rates for the Sofitel.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:25 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
When we need to stay before an early morning flight we tend to use a nearby hotel such as the doubletree for a night and then use a valet parking company . That way we an leave suitcases in the car to save lugging them about , don’t have to hang around waiting for buses and have the car at the terminal on return . It’s never more than £200 for the hotel and parking for two weeks
pauldb likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
With all the uncertainty at the moment, I too would want flexible bookings. So either as SimonSmith says, use the valet parking service at Heathrow that is flexible and a hotel. This is definitely the most practical option if the Sofitel is too expensive. Or if you don't mind a 5 min walk with luggage and a bus the following morning, we often park at T5 long stay (fully cancellable until 24 hours ahead) and walk across to Bath Road (Park near the exit for Leonardo cheapest, Holiday Inn and Stalybridge Suites, or park near the entrance for Hyatt Place all within 5 mins walk) and the 423 bus (£1.50 per person, contactless) goes from Bath Road (southern side) the following morning. Easy on return as you take the car park bus.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
If seaside means somewhere south-coast between maybe Southampton and Brighton, then another option might just be to book a car and let someone else drive. Save messing around getting to/from the car parks, get at least some of the night in your own bed and should be comparable cost to hotel/parking. If you're in the depths of the westcountry that might make less economic sense though.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Silver / Aegean
T5 convenience Vs Cost

1. Sofitel wins hands down. Both on a convenience aspect to T5 ( just a small walk ) but quick exit time on your return back to M25. For me depending on time of your departure flight time ( as in early ) that is worth a premium. You start the Holiday the nite before in a QUALITY hotel where the service is GOOD but albeit expensive. You get what you pay for here. At Sofitel the 2 restaurants are great and you start the Holiday in the style you want and there are no hassles with the experience. The Club Milessmie Lounge is also an attractive extra for us boozers!

2. I am flyying Antigua soon on delayed Virgin flight now 9 Dec. We have chosen to stay Radisson Blu Edwardian because of the better Restaurant there to start our Holiday away from everything. Too long being a HERMIT! im afraid ive splashed out and bugga the budget on a deluxe room 2. WE go from T2 hence HOPPA bus decision here.

3. The Thistle I have done also. You do park in POD and then have to WALK and get into the Thistle complex. Thistle is perfectly adequate but TIRED. Rooms are small and Restaurant is 50/50. not 4 star for sure. But adequate. Bar does have a nice view of the Runway and open air in Summer

Thistle is OK but barely. Unless you have a big family and budget limitations go for the SOFITEL.

ALL ROUND BETTER EXPERIENCE im afraid

4. We go to Athens in March 21 and whilst our BA flight goes at 12 pm I am thinking hard about staying the night before for 2 rooms to get the party started on our little mini break. the car Parking is so easy there.

Hope this helps

Depends on Budget clearly but Holiday Extras do run specials.....

Sofitel will be more expensive but better value for experience and T5 departure frankly. Its the journey that matters and not the cost frankly at times like this......

SteveG

PS Do not even BOTHER with HILTON T5. Nice hotel but Hoppa bus DIFFICULT on return if BUSY. WAITED an HOUR!
IAMORGAN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.