Should I get seats on an Aer Lingus award?

Old Dec 1, 20, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, DL, AA, Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Should I get seats on an Aer Lingus award?

Just booked an Aer Lingus award using BA Avios and I noticed no seats were assigned. I can see the tickets on the Aer Lingus website and can even "Manage Trip" within Aer Lingus but there's no place to do a seat assignment. Should I get seats on an Aer Lingus award? It has only been a couple days - perhaps I need to wait a little longer? I know BA can be a bit funky with the final ticketing on their awards.
Old Dec 1, 20, 12:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by newbie_flyer View Post
Just booked an Aer Lingus award using BA Avios and I noticed no seats were assigned. I can see the tickets on the Aer Lingus website and can even "Manage Trip" within Aer Lingus but there's no place to do a seat assignment. Should I get seats on an Aer Lingus award? It has only been a couple days - perhaps I need to wait a little longer? I know BA can be a bit funky with the final ticketing on their awards.
You will need to telephone Aer Lingus to assign seats. Use the Aer Lingus booking reference, which you will see in the Aer Lingus Manage Trip.

They will ask you to pay for the seats just like anyone else. You don't get them free because it's booked with Avios (or cash, for that matter).

Once the seat is assigned at EI and you have paid, you will also see it in BA Manage Booking, though you won't be able to view or amend it. It will just show "Seat: 3A - Confirmed" for example.

Hope that helps!
Old Dec 1, 20, 1:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The key aspect to this is that EI isn't in oneworld so the usual slate of benefits do not apply. If you are a BA status cardholder (as opposed to say AA) then your easiest solution is to let the system roll, you will be able to check-in on the web version and get a seat and a printable boarding pass via that (the App subversion of MMB and boarding pass display doesn't work). Then at check-in or the lounge get the agent to re-allocate your seating to a better seat. I don't think I have ever been allocated a middle seat via this process. Apparently you can also call EI the evening before or morning of departure for a free allocation but I've never bothered with that.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 1, 20, 1:27 am

Hmm, are you sure? I got a seat for free last year just by asking when booking on the phone with BA.
Old Dec 1, 20, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by _nate View Post
Hmm, are you sure? I got a seat for free last year just by asking when booking on the phone with BA.
Yes, I'm sure... I have called Aer Lingus twice in the past two weeks to assign seats on BA cash bookings (DUB-LHR-ARN, with DUB-LHR on the BA codeshare flight operated by EI) and they have charged me both times. The agent did quote less than I expected, so I happily paid that.

I always have to pay for the seats on EI. In the past, you would get them assigned free when they were sold as a BA ticket with cash or Avios, and sometimes you still get lucky and they will. However you are supposed to pay.
Old Dec 1, 20, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, DL, AA, Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks all! I tried BA as per _nate's comment. BA could only see the last three rows to give me a seat assignment
I'll try Aer Lingus tomorrow and report back here.
I should have mentioned this is an economy booking. If I don't get a seat assignment, that would imply that BA Avios award seats on Aer Lingus are the equivalent of a Saver fare, when I expected them to be a Smart fare. Not sure why I had that expectation; I suppose because an award ticket is typically an Economy fare even on other carriers that offer Basic Economy fares.
Old Dec 1, 20, 11:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Avios bookings do come with a baggage allowance, if that is what you mean. You can't generally relate redemption tickets to commercial buckets since under IATA protocols the ticketing processes for redemptions are very different. Some airlines for simplicity relate redemption bookings to commercial marketing channels, and some frequent flyer schemes are based on commercial protocols, but not in this scenario. This is why you can't mix redemption and commercial bookings on the same ticket, the two can't be added together.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 2, 20, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by newbie_flyer View Post
Thanks all! I tried BA as per _nate's comment. BA could only see the last three rows to give me a seat assignment
I'll try Aer Lingus tomorrow and report back here.
Your question inspired me to write up an entire blog post about how to select seats with Aer Lingus.

https://travelupdate.com/select-seat...gus-booked-ba/

Hopefully that will help you and others like you in the future. Let us know once you've spoken to Aer Lingus as to how you get on.
Sealink and SHT88T like this.
Old Dec 2, 20, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Gold
The process is painful and needs fixing IMO.

Before COVID stopped my travel I avoided these EI codeshares as much as possible because if find the process irritating. If BA sell me a ticket, my BA benefits should be associated with that ticket. They all live under IAG so I’d hope some form of inter business agreement could get around EI not being oneworld.

Unlike C-W-S, on a couple of occasions I ended up with middle seats at the back. Probably because I couldn’t be bothered with the hassle of calling Aer Lingus after previous bad experiences with wait times and agents being pretty unhelpful.
Old Dec 2, 20, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective View Post
Your question inspired me to write up an entire blog post about how to select seats with Aer Lingus.

https://travelupdate.com/select-seat...gus-booked-ba/

Hopefully that will help you and others like you in the future. Let us know once you've spoken to Aer Lingus as to how you get on.
I was given a free seat when calling BA but this was a business class booking. The OP mentioned they were offered a selection of at least some economy seats by ringing BA. It may be worth updating the guide to reflect this.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Dec 2, 20, 8:43 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by _nate View Post
I was given a free seat when calling BA but this was a business class booking. The OP mentioned they were offered a selection of at least some economy seats by ringing BA. It may be worth updating the guide to reflect this.
Business class seat allocation is always free on EI.

Seat allocation is free on EI TATL from a pool of seats in the front of the second Y cabin on the A330 and the back (but not the last rows) of the A321.

In theory Avios bookings are entitled to a free seat selection but this will be limited to the rear of the cabin and no good seat such as exit rows.

Just remember EI does not provide free seat selection based on status even to its own program

Search this Thread
Search Engine: