Denied boarding, tricky one

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2020, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Sorry for the confusion; what I meant was;

If you are flying:

LHR-DOH with BA followed by a separate ticket with Ethiopian to Tanzania, BA would allow you to board the LHR-DOH flight if you show your onward DOH-ADD-DAR ticket with ET as UK citizens are allowed to enter Tanzania at the moment.

If you're flying IST-DOH with TK followed by a separate ticket with ET to Tanzania, TK would not allow you to board the IST-DOH flight stating that the passenger is not eligible to enter Qatar which is his final destination on his ticket with TK.

Similar situation for Russia;

Pre-COVID, on BA services to DME, people were able to fly LHR-DME without a Russian visa by showing an onward separate S7 ticket to the check-in and gate agent whereas some airlines like TK would not allow a UK citizen to board a flight to Russia without a visa unless the passenger has a connection to a third country on the same ticket.
OK, understood!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
However this ends up for me (and my expectations have been re-managed due to this forum), there have been a number of interesting tales, which demonstrate the complexities and downfalls of some arrangements.

When I booked the flights on Thursday, and then on Sunday morning at the airport, I didn't consider there was anything particularly to think about, I'd already looked through what appeared to me to be reasonable due diligence.

The take away from all this is down to this one technicality: doing a back-to-back isn't treated the same as being a transit passenger.

Interestingly I haven't yet heard anything from my supplier, I texted and emailed her to explain the situation before she checked in to her flight to DOH, but have yet to receive a response.

My lesson of the past 48 hours is that hindsight is a truly wonderful thing!
Old Nov 30, 2020, 10:24 am
Suspended

Haha, maybe she was denied boarding as well for trying to pull the same caper!
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Howard Long

Interestingly I haven't yet heard anything from my supplier, I texted and emailed her to explain the situation before she checked in to her flight to DOH, but have yet to receive a response.
Wait, was she doing the same thing from another outstation?
XXX-DOH-XXX with a same-day turnaround.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Haha, maybe she was denied boarding as well for trying to pull the same caper!
Hmm, not sure about a "caper", that strongly suggests bad faith, but I wouldn't be surprised if she found herself in the same boat: however I thought I'd have reached her well before her airport arrival time, let alone her departure time.
Silver Fox and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 11:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Hmm, not sure about a "caper", that strongly suggests bad faith, but I wouldn't be surprised if she found herself in the same boat: however I thought I'd have reached her well before her airport arrival time, let alone her departure time.
Until now I knew capers only as pickled fruits - there is always something to learn on here
Freddorick likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Interesting read and discovery that back-to-back isn't treated as in transit. Hopefully, we won't ever have to put that knowledge to use in any future pandemic; but if we do, I guess you just add an extra destination in there with a big gap at the desired location so it does indeed qualify..!
Old Nov 30, 2020, 11:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jjLDNY
Interesting read and discovery that back-to-back isn't treated as in transit. Hopefully, we won't ever have to put that knowledge to use in any future pandemic; but if we do, I guess you just add an extra destination in there with a big gap at the desired location so it does indeed qualify..!
Possibly, but OP and his supplier could have actually met face-to-face had they flown to, for example, IST and leaving DOH out of the picture completely.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 11:57 am

Possibly, but OP and his supplier could have actually met face-to-face had they flown to, for example IST and leaving DOH out of the picture completely.
Definitely a route.

Also I can never not think about your story as to why you named yourself LondonElite whenever I see you. Hope the yacht clubs are still in action
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jjLDNY
Definitely a route.

Also I can never not think about your story as to why you named yourself LondonElite whenever I see you. Hope the yacht clubs are still in action
I lived in London when I joined FT and was an Elite level member in Air Canada's programme. Yacht clubs are doing fine, but without much custom from me these days!
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:06 pm

I lived in London when I joined FT and was an Elite level member in Air Canada's programme. Yacht clubs are doing fine, but without much custom from me these days!
Yes I remember the innocent story behind it which makes me smile.

Anyway not to derail.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 3:35 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by keitherson
Border police do not care about customer service.
Is that what Gary is? If so, it is an abuse of power to ban someone for life simply for making a complant.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Because Qatar allows visa-free/visa on arrival (not sure about the exact arrangement) for UK Passport holders. That's why you have no problem at all.

I simply can't see what your complaint can accomplish. Qatari official information has been very clear on this - citizens and residents only for now. And you are neither.

If I was on the other side of the complaint, I would make sure you be banned for life.
wow, some one is on a keyboard warrior power trip! Chill out dude.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 4:54 pm

Also, I think it's worth pointing out that the immigration authorities in the GCC can be more accommodating and flexible, and so travellers might let their guard down and get caught out by things like this.

For example, you can re-start a 30 day UAE tourist visa by travelling to Oman in an afternoon, and you can do this as often as you like. I imagine you can reset a Qatari tourist visa in the same way. This is completely unlike the situation in the UK or in Schengen, where I imagine you'd be refused entry.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

The take away from all this is down to this one technicality: doing a back-to-back isn't treated the same as being a transit passenger.
I think we somehow got lulled into believing otherwise by the relative ease of B2B within Europe, and at other airports without visa/entry requirements. But if any form of pre-authorisation for entry is required.airlines will generally protect their position: same goes for connections on separate tickets.

Some years back, checking in at Singapore with Air Asia for Saigon, they were busy at the next desk spoiling the life of a girl travelling on the same flight but connecting within a couple of hours of arrival at SGN to somewhere else. She needed a visa to enter Vietnam, and as far as the airline was concerned she was on a one-way ticket to Vietnam. I learned then to be much less cavalier about entry requirements.

There's probably a long German word for learning lessons from the unhappiness of others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.