Denied boarding, tricky one

Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Hindsight but could this work if you had booked LHR-DOH. DOH - FRA (-LHR) ?
Unlikely given DOH was still the turnaround point on the itinerary (be that to LHR on the return or even to FRA as per your suggestion) and not a transit stop as such. Destination as far as the flight itinerary goes is DOH at which point the return journey commences. This is where the passenger would fail entry requirements under current entry requirements - even if they say they intended to stay airside. With the airline fined for potential denied immigration, no airline will take that chance, even if the passenger guaranteed to pay it themselves.

Must have been a very important meeting for the OP to fly 6 hours in a mask and visor (QR requirements) just to have a relatively short business meeting and then fly home another 6 hours in another mask and visor.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Nov 29, 2020 at 10:07 am
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Hindsight but could this work if you had booked LHR-DOH. DOH - FRA (-LHR) ?
I think that that would still have been likely rejected - the tiocketed destination would still be Doha and so wouldn't be a transit. Would need to be somewhere where Doha was a transit point ; something like LHR-DOH-MCT / MCT-DOH-LHR would be valid ( of course would then depend on rules for Oman as to whether that would be permitted )

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
That sounds interesting, was two flights on separate tickets. Assuming that you were on a single ticket from LHR-DOH-VIE and you're a UK citizen; why should QR deny you on the flight.
It seems valid since DOH would be the ticketed destination for an open jaw return - the destination of a ticket is never a transit point - you can only transit en-route to a destination/stopover point

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 29, 2020 at 10:12 am
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Indeed, thats why BA at airport wanted to rebook but later when we wanted to get ticket reissued didnt wanna help becuase they said a) it's QR issue to resolve and b) commercially rev man says we cannot offer this rerouting of LHR-VIE anymore
Who in their right mind flies LHR-VIE with a stopover in DOH anyway?!?! Really surprised this one ever got ticketed in the first place.
JessicaB likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that that would still have been likely rejected - the tiocketed destination would still be Doha and so wouldn't be a transit. Would need to be somewhere where Doha was a transit point ; something like LHR-DOH-MCT / MCT-DOH-LHR would be valid ( of course would then depend on rules for Oman as to whether that would be permitted )

It seems valid since DOH would be the ticketed destination for an open jaw return - the destination of a ticket is never a transit point - you can only transit en-route to a destination/stopover point
Our ticket was LHR-DOH-VIE VIE-DOH-LHR. Under no circumstances were QR staff suggesting we were denied because of Doha transit/rules. I already submitted subject access request so will be able to share details of what the staff putin the PNR soon. But as i say cca 24 hours later, when I was chasing QR ticketing desk I got an email saying they now confirmed and I quote : Dear Mr Nufnuf,

We have now received a response and they have advised that travel will be possible.

You may go ahead and rebook through British Airways.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Who in their right mind flies LHR-VIE with a stopover in DOH anyway?!?! Really surprised this one ever got ticketed in the first place.
Why would it be surprising that a same day return be rejected for ticketing? it is just an open jaw return ticket - no more strange than a same day LHR-DOH return

It isn't a oneway ticket to Vienna , but a return ticket to Doha
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Why would it be surprising that a same day return be rejected for ticketing? it is just an open jaw return ticket - no more strange than a same day LHR-DOH return

I assume that BA did rebook nufnuf77 as they have cancelled their direct LHR-VIE service so it shouldn't be an open-jaw return ticket.

Those who prefer not to pay for another last-minute ticket when your flight eventually gets cancelled.
nufnuf77 might have preferred not to get a refund and purchase a separate LHR-VIE ticket on another airline which could be much more costly.

Our ticket was LHR-DOH-VIE VIE-DOH-LHR. Under no circumstances were QR staff suggesting we were denied because of Doha transit/rules. I already submitted subject access request so will be able to share details of what the staff putin the PNR soon. But as i say cca 24 hours later, when I was chasing QR ticketing desk I got an email saying they now confirmed and I quote : Dear Mr Nufnuf,

We have now received a response and they have advised that travel will be possible.

You may go ahead and rebook through British Airways.
I guess that Dave Noble was mentioning the OP's situation ( LHR-DOH-LHR turnaround ).
wrp96 and nufnuf77 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

What do you mean - we were spending (or planning) several days in vienna to sign some bank paperwork. I dont follow you at all ?
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:24 am

Surprised because that has to be the biggest ticketing backtrack ever if it is a true open jaw. Are you sure that's not just 2 separate itineraries nested to create something that looks like a LHR-VIE return? You can't have an open jaw return. It's either one or the other, not both. Not unless you've nested separate tickets.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

There was a provision in rule 8181 of BA tradesupport that allowed QR reroute to any destination as per original origin and destination. this changed i think on Nov18 that only allowed QR on LONG-HAUL reroutes. nevertheless on my days there was not a single option of AY or IB, and BA specifically declined OS option (which I now believe should have been offered as well given guidelines)
wrp96, 1Aturnleft and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:35 am

Wasn't aware this was an already rerouted itinerary that started as something simole. I failed to notice that part....

Reroutes - if BA offered a QR reroute on that itinerary then more fool them for creating that ability in the first place. Never heard of anything so stupid for even allowing it.

Same for IST-LHR via DOH.
Service wise it's a lovely upgrade but seriously?????
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Just wondering, what is the final update on the LH Group rebooking policy. I assume that nufnuf77 could have been rebooked according to that policy as OS is technically a LH Group airline.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Just wondering, what is the final update on the LH Group rebooking policy. I assume that nufnuf77 could have been rebooked according to that policy as OS is technically a LH Group airline.
I did ask for OS originally, but that policy, when I was rebooking was only for tickets issued prior to date x able to reroute OS/LX/LH. mine wasnt. Now the policy and ticketed deadlines have extended so it was possible to use it at the airport on thursday but agent denied us the OS evening flight saying she can only do oneworld (which we now know was wrong).

Either way QR already denied us compensation by email, so preparing letter before action as we speak
wrp96 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did ask for OS originally, but that policy, when I was rebooking was only for tickets issued prior to date x able to reroute OS/LX/LH. mine wasnt. Now the policy and ticketed deadlines have extended so it was possible to use it at the airport on thursday but agent denied us the OS evening flight saying she can only do oneworld (which we now know was wrong).

Either way QR already denied us compensation by email, so preparing letter before action as we speak
Thanks for the answer. I am curious about how the solution would be.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 11:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for the answer. I am curious about how the solution would be.
Thanks,

Despite the disappointment, we are off on LHR-CDG-FRA-ZRH-GRU-BOG on Friday for 10days,(to keep ourselves entertained), with a team offsite in Cartagena over the weekend. It has been a while since i did LX F so will be nice to retry it after LH pulled most of 747s out of the skies.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks,

Despite the disappointment, we are off on LHR-CDG-FRA-ZRH-GRU-BOG on Friday for 10days,(to keep ourselves entertained), with a team offsite in Cartagena over the weekend. It has been a while since i did LX F so will be nice to retry it after LH pulled most of 747s out of the skies.
Don't forget to share your experiences in this thread: Why fly BA at the moment in Club, when Swiss offer all of this?
It would be nice to see how Swiss is doing compared to BA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.