Wiki Posts
Search

Flight numbers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Flight numbers

In the thread about restarting flights to Dhaka, there was a comment about re-using old flight numbers, and C-W-S alluded to looking out for BA145/44. I'm curious, because, as a regular TLV traveler, I note that this pair of numbers comes in the middle of the numbers used for the different TLV services. I also reside in Chicago, and I think I'm right in saying that 297/296 to ORD are the highest numbers used for BA's own services. How do all these get decided?? The Dhaka in the middle of Tel Aviv thing feels particularly odd!
Old Nov 22, 2020, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by DominicB
In the thread about restarting flights to Dhaka, there was a comment about re-using old flight numbers, and C-W-S alluded to looking out for BA145/44. I'm curious, because, as a regular TLV traveler, I note that this pair of numbers comes in the middle of the numbers used for the different TLV services. I also reside in Chicago, and I think I'm right in saying that 297/296 to ORD are the highest numbers used for BA's own services. How do all these get decided?? The Dhaka in the middle of Tel Aviv thing feels particularly odd!
BA298/299 are also ORD services and would be the highest designated flight numbers to/from LHR to the Americas and the Caribbean.

BA144/145 were used in recent years for service to/from Baku. These are currently undesignated and will fit perfectly into the geographic area for which they serve (India are in a similar range of flight numbers along with many Middle Eastern destinations which traditionally operated via Middle East to the subcontinent). Looking at routesonline from 1986, BA144/145 historically operated in the mid-late 80's as follows:

​​​​​Looking at the last Dhaka service to operate in 2009 the flight continued to operate as BA144/145.... now nonstop with a 777.

In the years TLV operated as a short haul Club Europe service in the late 80's/early 90's the TLV services operated as BA576/577. I guess when it was redesignated as a long haul product and service, the flight number series would have also changed to reflect what was at that point available to reflect the change in operating fleet and geographic area of the destination..... infact looking at TLV flight numbers of recent years they now seem to be slotted in to the 130-160 flight number series and non-sequentially (apart from flight number pairs) which would reflect these were slotted in wherever there happened to be space and not the other way around.
​​​​​​

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Nov 22, 2020 at 10:31 pm
Old Nov 23, 2020, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DominicB
... I think I'm right in saying that 297/296 to ORD are the highest numbers used for BA's own services.
Only if you ignore short-hauls?
Nephoi and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Whilst far from comprehensive, there is a pretty good list of flights and flight numbers in the Google Sheets doc that some members of this forum were using to track their flights this year before COVID went and ruined that one. See the link in my signature.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 5:14 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
As mentioned in the End of Midhaul thread BA312/3 (previously LHR-CDG) is now being (re)used for LHR-AMM

This seems a curious choice, when BA304 through to BA316 inclusive are all otherwise still LHR-CDG
Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Only if you ignore short-hauls?
Be interesting to know what ends up being highest next summer with no LGW short haul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.