Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2020, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LCY8737
The "Lowest Fares Analysis" tool makes the "lowest fares" options on ba.com more accessible:

On https://www.beartravel.org/p_ba.php a number of pre-defined reports can be used (such as lowest tier point cost or lowest fare for a cabin).
On https://www.beartravel.org/p_ba.php?view=LowestFares2 a detailed search function is available.
On https://www.beartravel.org/p_ba.php the raw data can be downloaded (CSV format) for individual analysis.
On https://www.beartravel.org/p_ba_farearchive.php historic fares are available to identify trends.

The data is refreshed daily.
Print Wikipost

Lowest BA Fares Analysis

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2020, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Lowest BA Fares Analysis

I've played around with BA's low fare API (the same data you see on the low fare finder on ba.com). I structured the data a little different from what you see on ba.com and sorted it by price. Views available are
  • All destinations/cabins sorted by price (e.g. cheapest BA does in the next 12 months is Dublin in Y for January for £40.24 return).
  • All destinations but filtered by cabin (e.g. cheapest First fare in the next 12 months is Boston for October for £1,677.14 return).
  • Lowest fare by month
  • Lowest fare by destination
  • By cost per tier point (best deal is Sofia in January for £1.02 per tier point).
All of the above offer a direct link to the low fare finder on ba.com so you can check on which days of the month the offers are available. Data is updated every 3 days and is available on https://beartravel.org/p_ba.php.

Let me know what you think...
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Good stuff - although only point which makes it less useful for me is that it only supports LON as an origin. I've been looking at automating my search for premium fare deals but the best I could do is attempt to scrape google flights - cumbersome!
u01sss3 and Nephoi like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thebigben
Good stuff - although only point which makes it less useful for me is that it only supports LON as an origin. I've been looking at automating my search for premium fare deals but the best I could do is attempt to scrape google flights - cumbersome!
a list of cheap fares regardless of origin would be aswesome. to find something like BUD-HNL or SOF-LAX
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thebigben
The BA API only provides ex-LON fares, so sadly this is the only data I have.

There are a few data providers out there that share wider fare data, though unfortunately they are not free. And while £0.01 per request doesn't sound like much, once you start doing searches for every major airport to every major airport combinations, possibly considering POS dimensions, that get refreshed every couple of days it quickly gets very expensive. And that is before even talking about proper hosting to handle the data volume.
ThatT1Feeling and toothy like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:36 am

I wasn't looking for it, but I might now go and snap up that £14k return in F to MCO in January.... Interesting what these data searches throw up.
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by Nephoi
a list of cheap fares regardless of origin would be aswesome. to find something like BUD-HNL or SOF-LAX
Note that the BA lowfare finder only shows results where there's actual availability and typically only for a 7 day return.
You want base fare information which is for instance available on-demand in Expertflyer. Other paid solutions exist but don't make much sense for individuals.
Nephoi and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by LCY8737
The BA API only provides ex-LON fares, so sadly this is the only data I have.
I am using the following URL with $to and $from to get results for other airports:

Code:
"http://www.britishairways.com/solr/lpbd/lpfdestinations?fq=(departure_city:".$from."+OR+departure_airport:".$from.")+AND+dep_city_name:***+AND+arr_city_name_search:***+AND+(arrival_city:".$to."+OR+arrival_airport:".$to.")+AND+trip_type:RT+AND+cabin:".$class."&fl=proxy_price,is_sales_fare,route_connection_ind,rounded_lowest_each_way_price,number_of_nights,arr_city_name,trip_type,dep_lpf_city_airport_display,dep_airport_name,rounded_lowest_price,lowest_price,dep_city_name,arrival_airport,arr_lpf_city_airport_display,arrival_city,departure_airport,cabin,region_code,arr_airport_name,currency_code,departure_city,departure_country_code&facet.pivot=month_string,is_sales_fare&facet=true"
Problem with this is that some origins don't mandate to include fuel surcharges etc and and thus the base price is shown.
There's also issues where randomly YQ is missing from the fare and it appears that LHR-RAK is only 15 GBP return for instance. When looking for availability it's obviously not there.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
This is great, thanks for providing this, a few comments:
  • Moscow, Cairo and Amman are now 80TPs each way instead of 140 which changes the price per TP quite a bit on those routes.
  • It would be great (if possible) to select them by long haul only or short haul only, or even TP earned (i.e. in Club, 40, 80 or 140+)
Old Nov 18, 2020, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
I've been wanting something like this for years, so thank you!! Shame I can't really make the most of it at the moment though Ability to look at trip durations shorter than 7-days would be nice for me but it's certainly going to the top of my favourites list as it is...
Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:04 am
A13

Programs: BA Silver
Great tool - thank you!
Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
I am using the following URL with $to and $from to get results for other airports:

Code:
"http://www.britishairways.com/solr/lpbd/lpfdestinations?fq=(departure_city:".$from."+OR+departure_airport:".$from.")+AND+dep_city_name:***+AND+arr_city_name_search:***+AND+(arrival_city:".$to."+OR+arrival_airport:".$to.")+AND+trip_type:RT+AND+cabin:".$class."&fl=proxy_price,is_sales_fare,route_connection_ind,rounded_lowest_each_way_price,number_of_nights,arr_city_name,trip_type,dep_lpf_city_airport_display,dep_airport_name,rounded_lowest_price,lowest_price,dep_city_name,arrival_airport,arr_lpf_city_airport_display,arrival_city,departure_airport,cabin,region_code,arr_airport_name,currency_code,departure_city,departure_country_code&facet.pivot=month_string,is_sales_fare&facet=true"
Problem with this is that some origins don't mandate to include fuel surcharges etc and and thus the base price is shown.
There's also issues where randomly YQ is missing from the fare and it appears that LHR-RAK is only 15 GBP return for instance. When looking for availability it's obviously not there.
That is an interesting interface. Is there any documentation on this? I've so far only played around with the IAG/BA developer API.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
This is great, thanks for providing this, a few comments:
  • Moscow, Cairo and Amman are now 80TPs each way instead of 140 which changes the price per TP quite a bit on those routes.
  • It would be great (if possible) to select them by long haul only or short haul only, or even TP earned (i.e. in Club, 40, 80 or 140+)
Thanks - had not the slightest idea these were downgraded to mid-haul - adjusted for MOW/CAI/AMM.

I have added two additional reports separating short and long haul. But from your question it seems that a few more search requests (e.g. J short haul, Y long haul, ...) would make sense. This will require a bit of interface re-engineering because a drop down list would end up being very long. Will see if I get some time to do this over the weekend.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Great tool!

The geek in me would love to see a £ per mile flown too. That should be on all fares to stop people complaining about the cost of flights. Hopefully!
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by dddc
Great tool!

The geek in me would love to see a £ per mile flown too. That should be on all fares to stop people complaining about the cost of flights. Hopefully!
That will just lead to complaints that such and such a flight is 10p a mile, another is 50p a mile and another £2 a mile. Given ticket cost has a fairly flexible relationship to distance, I’m not sure it would be much use.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by krispy84
That will just lead to complaints that such and such a flight is 10p a mile, another is 50p a mile and another £2 a mile. Given ticket cost has a fairly flexible relationship to distance, I’m not sure it would be much use.
But it will also make people think of getting bang for their pound. I can spend X flying to Y at Z per mile but if I spend a little more, I can go so much further.

People complain about everything so why not one thing more!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.