Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Y vs WTP LHR - DXB in Jan during CoVid - your seating advice needed

Old Nov 14, 20, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium

Dear FTers

I am wondering if anyone has been on BA106 (DXB-LHR - the night time departure at 0205am recently? I am currently booked in Y as I am not willing to pay for the current Club World offering (which would be approx 2300GBP vs the 360 I paid return).

I would be interested on the current PAX load - I am booked on this one mid Jan (of course, no idea what will happen until then) and have received the almost usual upgrade offer into WTP for a relative modest 136GBP per person. I am actually a bit hesitant to book given the catering will be the same like in Y, and I should sleep most of the time anyway. Another point though is that the 787 (if not swapped by then) is from all what I've heard dreadful in Y - I guess only if the two of us would have a reasonable chance to get a row for ourselves. I have reserved the last row which only has two seats but I understand the plane is till tight in Eco - and maybe a chatty crew in the galley might prevent me from sleeping.

As I said it would lots of crystal ball reading here, but any thoughts of you are as usual almost welcome.

Thanks
Old Nov 14, 20, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
Dear FTers

I am wondering if anyone has been on BA106 (DXB-LHR - the night time departure at 0205am recently? I am currently booked in Y as I am not willing to pay for the current Club World offering (which would be approx 2300GBP vs the 360 I paid return).

I would be interested on the current PAX load - I am booked on this one mid Jan (of course, no idea what will happen until then) and have received the almost usual upgrade offer into WTP for a relative modest 136GBP per person. I am actually a bit hesitant to book given the catering will be the same like in Y, and I should sleep most of the time anyway. Another point though is that the 787 (if not swapped by then) is from all what I've heard dreadful in Y - I guess only if the two of us would have a reasonable chance to get a row for ourselves. I have reserved the last row which only has two seats but I understand the plane is till tight in Eco - and maybe a chatty crew in the galley might prevent me from sleeping.

As I said it would lots of crystal ball reading here, but any thoughts of you are as usual almost welcome.

Thanks
You are asking the impossible. The covid19 vaccine is due to be rolled out early December. It might, or it might not. It could be a roaring success or a complete shambles..If its the former flights could be overbooked with airlines scrambling to get crews back, or if its the latter just more of the same. If you like gambling, place your bets
Old Nov 14, 20, 6:51 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
Dear FTers

Thanks
£136 per person each way?

I did the same flight back from Dubai last year, I believe on the A350, and I would never do that in Y again. But it depends if you can sleep. The new BA Y seats are horribly uncomfortable for me, but I am 185cm and have a long torso.
Old Nov 14, 20, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Radiation Station View Post
£136 per person each way?

I did the same flight back from Dubai last year, I believe on the A350, and I would never do that in Y again. But it depends if you can sleep. The new BA Y seats are horribly uncomfortable for me, but I am 185cm and have a long torso.
Easy way to bag a good chunk of TPs if you need them. Y on 787 is horrific. Never again.
Old Nov 14, 20, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
You are asking the impossible. The covid19 vaccine is due to be rolled out early December. It might, or it might not. It could be a roaring success or a complete shambles..If its the former flights could be overbooked with airlines scrambling to get crews back, or if its the latter just more of the same. If you like gambling, place your bets
Not to take this OMNI, but no vaccine release this year will have any effect at on on any BA flight.

You are otherwise right, that the loads are completely unpredictable. Iíd personally prefer a Y+ seat to the slim chance of a row to myself in Y, but thatís a personal preference.
Nephoi, Grace B and londonba2014 like this.
Old Nov 14, 20, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Absolutely spend the £136. Loads will likely be heavy as itís on the corridor. 787 and 777 ten across Y is the pits
Old Nov 14, 20, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spend the money. WT+ is survivable on a flight like that, WT likely to be deeply unpleasant unless the plane is empty..and I wouldnít gamble on that.
Old Nov 14, 20, 8:38 am

for 136 GBP? take it!
Old Nov 14, 20, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard, Shell Go+
I've flown on BA106 a few times but never again.

The timing of the flight, meal times etc are not for me. And I'd rather walk it back to LHR than sit in Y on this service.
Old Nov 14, 20, 9:21 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
I agree that the price is very good but if the plane is empty you are actually pay £136 for a 'downgrade'. I would rather have 3 seats in a row rather than the WT+ seat. I have actually downgrade myself to economy from WT+ a few times with BA, SAS and Lufthansa due to empty economy.
Old Nov 14, 20, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks all - upgraded for 272GBP for the 2 of us
Old Nov 14, 20, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by TTmex View Post
Easy way to bag a good chunk of TPs if you need them. Y on 787 is horrific. Never again.
Depends on what the OP meant by 'booked in Y'. If it was the cabin (ie WT), the extra TP haul could be up to 70 per leg. If the booking class was Y, then you'd only get an extra 20TP.

The other possible benefit of upgrading to WT+ is the possibility of an OPUP to CW, which I've benefited from on that flight (although my original booking was in WT+)
TTmex and Nephoi like this.
Old Nov 14, 20, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peter h View Post
Depends on what the OP meant by 'booked in Y'. If it was the cabin (ie WT), the extra TP haul could be up to 70 per leg. If the booking class was Y, then you'd only get an extra 20TP.

The other possible benefit of upgrading to WT+ is the possibility of an OPUP to CW, which I've benefited from on that flight (although my original booking was in WT+)
Hi Peter

I actually meant the cabin - TP won't matter much though as my status has been extended to June 2022 anyway. Fingers crossed for the OPUP but I haven't been successful in recent months (the upgrade I'll never forget was for the flight from LHR to JFK on one of the BA 100GBP anniversary tickets - I've never came to JFK in WTP that cheap again
TTmex and Radiation Station like this.
Old Nov 14, 20, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by peter h View Post
They've already said they've paid £360 rt to Dubai.
This won't be a Y fare bucket ticket so pretty certain the OP will be referring to the Y cabin.
TTmex likes this.
Old Nov 14, 20, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Paren View Post
I've flown on BA106 a few times but never again.

The timing of the flight, meal times etc are not for me. And I'd rather walk it back to LHR than sit in Y on this service.
I have flown BA106 (or BA72, the equivalent out of AUH) many, many times. The catering and meal service is irrelevant. Given the flight timings, the only thing that makes sense for virtually every passenger, irrespective of COS, is to eat beforehand (at home, at a nice restaurant, in the lounge ó plenty of options) and to get as much sleep as possible on the flight.

BTW, often times on this route the cost of purchasing WT+ and UuA to CW is quite reasonable. Iím pretty sure that on one of my recent trips (during Covid) WT+ return was actually cheaper than WT.
Duck1981 and Skipcool3 like this.

Last edited by Blumie; Nov 14, 20 at 9:35 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: