BA South Africa Flights

Old Nov 13, 20, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
The OP was the first one to claim that DUR is significantly expensive and I could claim this via fare screenshots through ITA Matrix. Here are the lowest 4-10 day interval roundtrip prices for all CPT, JNB, DUR on BA. The search is filtered for BA direct flights only.
Er, yes? That is simply what you see now, in the present extremely odd circumstances. It shows you nothing about the competitive landscape on this route. Similarly, your present inability to price a through fare for LON-JNB-DUR tells you nothing about the competitive landscape on this route.

I used the word "were" in my post. To make it crystal clear, what I was asking was whether you have in the past (pre-pandemic) seen LON-DUR consistently selling at significantly higher prices than LON-JNB or LON-CPT. That would have indicated that LON-DUR was commanding some non-stop/lack-of-competition/monopoly premium.

The present situation is not what we have seen throughout the time that the LON-DUR non-stop has been operating, but that is explained by the fact that we are not at present in normal circumstances. If your experience of pricing LON-DUR is limited to what is being shown now, then that is no basis for your claim that "it's normal that prices are expensive compared to JNB & CPT".
Old Nov 13, 20, 12:53 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Er, yes? That is simply what you see now, in the present extremely odd circumstances. It shows you nothing about the competitive landscape on this route. Similarly, your present inability to price a through fare for LON-JNB-DUR tells you nothing about the competitive landscape on this route.

I used the word "were" in my post. To make it crystal clear, what I was asking was whether you have in the past (pre-pandemic) seen LON-DUR consistently selling at significantly higher prices than LON-JNB or LON-CPT. That would have indicated that LON-DUR was commanding some non-stop/lack-of-competition/monopoly premium.

The present situation is not what we have seen throughout the time that the LON-DUR non-stop has been operating, but that is explained by the fact that we are not at present in normal circumstances. If your experience of pricing LON-DUR is limited to what is being shown now, then that is no basis for your claim that "it's normal that prices are expensive compared to JNB & CPT".
In the past is something different and the present is something different. I'll be honest to tell you that I couldn't recall searching for a price search on LON-DUR before the pandemic.
It's true that I am not an expert on the UK-ZA market but when I made general searches ( sometimes originating from elsewhere ), tickets to JNB were mostly cheaper than CPT & DUR.

Also in general, regardless of the air carrier, prices to less popular destinations are usually more expensive than more popular destinations that are served by multiple airlines.
I would like to imply one more time that there is a competition between BA and TK, QR, EK on this route but BA is offering a much higher convenience for the passengers, so it is absolutely normal for them to charge more compared to their competitors.

I am pretty sure that this isn't an IT error but maybe research in demand for these high prices or the sign that the route would be suspended for a longer period.
Old Dec 16, 20, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It doesn't take much to work out why - even though the flights almost certainly have very few reservations on them - BA is only taking reservations for these flights at expensive fares.
Originally Posted by Sam Bee View Post
Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
That kind of availability pattern can also indicate uncertainty about whether the route will come back or continue.
It's this. It's every flight. in both directions in 2021. It's indicative of no decision made as to whether they will operate the route. Slot sitter in the schedule if you like. If you book at the higher fare and they pull it, they'll rebook you via CPT/JNB. If they sell £500 returns in Y and have to rebook they'll lose money.
And this has all been confirmed today; Durban has been cancelled: COVID-19 BA Suspended Routes, Changes in The BA Network, Speculation & Discussion
Sam Bee likes this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 3:10 pm

And this has all been confirmed today; Durban has been cancelled: COVID-19 BA Suspended Routes, Changes in The BA Network, Speculation & Discussion
Ultimately, BA has gone from roughly 13000 seats a week to South Africa to roughly 4000 seats per week, and JNB has lost F, whilst CPT has retained it. Whilst its a pity for DUR, I imagine BA is more concerned with saving JNB and CPT. And, it's not just about what happens if travel stays low - if there's a magical post-covid boom, BA is going to be short of aircraft and it's hard to see DUR as a priority.
Old Dec 17, 20, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Silver; Virgin Silver; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Avis president's
Originally Posted by cauchy View Post
Ultimately, BA has gone from roughly 13000 seats a week to South Africa to roughly 4000 seats per week, and JNB has lost F, whilst CPT has retained it..
I have a first booking for March to JNB, out on the 12th on BA57 and back on the 21st on BA54. MMB still has these as first, with the first seat map for 2 different B777 variants showing. When does First get discontinued for the route?
Old Dec 17, 20, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by umgowah View Post
I have a first booking for March to JNB, out on the 12th on BA57 and back on the 21st on BA54. MMB still has these as first, with the first seat map for 2 different B777 variants showing. When does First get discontinued for the route?
There's no F for sale until the middle of January, though it is on sale after then. It's not clear what the long term plan is, though I imagine JNB will eventually get F back.
Old Dec 18, 20, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Hi all - I am not certain this is the right place to post this question but given it is SA related... I would appreciate any help.
Am UK based and my standard AXA worldwide travel insurance does not cover C19 related claims, so I need to get a new travel insurance policy for a trip to SA I have planned (on BA!) over the new year to provide some insurance protection.
However, SA is on the Government advisory against travel list : https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/south-africa - does this invalidate most insurance policies, even that are C19 specific policies?
Any ideas or thoughts on what is a good policy to consider for a 2 week trip to SA would be much appreciated! Thank you
Old Dec 18, 20, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld View Post
However, SA is on the Government advisory against travel list : https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/south-africa - does this invalidate most insurance policies, even that are C19 specific policies?
Any ideas or thoughts on what is a good policy to consider for a 2 week trip to SA would be much appreciated! Thank you
Yes, currently most UK issued policies will not cover you for anything if travelling against FCDO advice. The standard answer is Battleface who used to be a niche insurer but this year have become more mainstream. Another option is Nationwide’s FlexPlus current account which includes insurance and covers even if there is FCDO advice against all but essential travel but does not cover if the advice is against ALL travel.

If you plan on hiring a car there are UK issued policies that cover car hire when travelling against FCDO advice too.
Old Dec 18, 20, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA View Post
Yes, currently most UK issued policies will not cover you for anything if travelling against FCDO advice. The standard answer is Battleface who used to be a niche insurer but this year have become more mainstream. Another option is Nationwide’s FlexPlus current account which includes insurance and covers even if there is FCDO advice against all but essential travel but does not cover if the advice is against ALL travel.

If you plan on hiring a car there are UK issued policies that cover car hire when travelling against FCDO advice too.
This is really helpful - thank you. Long live Battleface!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: