Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact of vaccine announcement on BA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2020, 2:25 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
If we concede:

1) That the vaccine is indeed as effective as advertised and can be rolled out to at least 20,000,000 Brits by mid-to-end-of Spring.
2) That we are in the midst of a seasonally induced second wave, which should then decline by mid-to-end-of-Spring like earlier this year.

Summer '21 will be more normal than Summer '20, and close to normal overall, at least in the UK and within the EU, and possibly for travel to the US too. Bear in mind (2) above seems to have been true for last summer. You can question the first premise because of the logistical challenge of manufacturing and supply chain complications. But time will tell on that one, and I doubt the current Government survives if it bungles this one.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 4:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sophialite
If we concede:
2) That we are in the midst of a seasonally induced second wave, which should then decline by mid-to-end-of-Spring like earlier this year.
Seasonality likely plays a small part in the current second wave, but it certainly isn't the main factor. The quiet summer was a product of the full localdown suppressing the numbers infected. Just look at the US where they had a second peak in Jul-Aug and are now getting a third to see that the warmer weather doesn't prevent a peak.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by elwe
Seasonality likely plays a small part in the current second wave, but it certainly isn't the main factor. The quiet summer was a product of the full localdown suppressing the numbers infected. Just look at the US where they had a second peak in Jul-Aug and are now getting a third to see that the warmer weather doesn't prevent a peak.
I'm sure the lockdown had some effect, but also look at Sweden, which experienced similar seasonality despite not as much locking down...
Old Nov 12, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lronglien
Not sure this vaccine will be accepted by the USA. VP Elect Harris said Americans should not take any vaccine that was developed during the Trump years. This means they will need to start over in January and that all the work done so far has been wasted. Too bad.
Very odd statement, seems to me you haven't been paying attention to what has or is being said.

Asked if she would personally take any vaccine given the green light in the US before the November poll, Harris replied: “I will say that I would not trust Donald Trump and it would have to be a credible source of information that talks about the efficacy and the reliability of whatever he’s talking about. I will not take his word for it.”

In the VP debate when asked if she would take the vaccine she said "
If the doctors tell us to take it, I’ll be the first in line to take it,” she said. “But if Donald Trump tells us to take it, I’m not taking it.”
Pilou likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 4:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks, as the thread has long-since lost any relevance to BA, we'll close it now.

The mod team has posted repeated requests / guidance / instructions to keep discussion focussed on BA, but it seems, like the virus itself, it just takes one wayward post to trigger yet another wave of off-topic Coronachat on the forum.

Please be directed to the dedicated FT forum :
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

Thank you for your co-operation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.