Wiki Posts
Search

BA won’t rebook into Qatar

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2020, 3:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
It always frankly astonishes me when they offer a ticketed first class passenger an alternative in economy class when there is a higher class available. I want to say it defies logic and I'll never understand it, but I imagine it's to save the airline costs - some people would probably just accept the economy re-route. Well. Some must.
don’t forget sometimes it’s a genuine mistake or mistype by the agent. Not everyone is out to get you
Old Nov 8, 2020, 3:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Well, when it‘s an Avios booking and BA downgrade you to another route, you will probably find that your „reimbursment“ will be calculated by BA to be the mere difference in Avios cost. You will have to push, or in my case go to CEDR to get the EU261 75% level of reimbursment.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
don’t forget sometimes it’s a genuine mistake or mistype by the agent. Not everyone is out to get you
Maybe the agent felt that QR J was better than BA F.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: OWE, *G
Tried rebooking a cancelled intra-Europe BA booking made with cash to QR and it was declined since there was no codeshare flights to the destination (only to and from LHR).

I ended up just changing the dates, but it could be interesting for others to know. I had no idea about there needing to be BA codeshare (such as on MLE).

Last edited by Andrew35K; Nov 9, 2020 at 9:51 am
Old Nov 11, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TAP Miles&Go Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Accor Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by KARFA
Ok thanks. Firstly BA do have an obligation to reroute you and get you home. They can't simply leave you there and provide no plan for your return flight - or at least of they do they are responsible for duty of care beyond when the flight should have happened and I imagine the cost of a hotel after a few days will soon eclipse any cost of rebooking you on another carrier. Are they expecting you to stay there until whenever the route resumes in December or 2021?

There is a policy to rebook on QR, but it does not cover rewards, and I think this may be why they said no. However, I think that's unreasonable if the result is they are not providing you with any options at all. Perhaps the approach is to point out my comments in the first paragraph?
Huge thanks for this invaluable info, KARFA.

Was due to fly one-way from IST in J with BA on Dec 3, but was canceled. TK want £600 for a direct go on their A359, which is a nice cabin, but considering I paid £160 originally seemed a bit on the steep side.

Called the BA USA number just now to resolve. The guy offered a BA flight on Dec 4 as the only other flight they have, which doesn't work for me. Enquired about indirect and was told there is nothing, despite options via AMM or DOH.

After I started reading this advisory to him, he eventually relented and requested the QR flight numbers. After about 5 minutes on hold, he came back and said there was availability and could be booked. Ticket reissued. Now going IST-DOH-LHR a day earlier for the same price and saving myself a night in a hotel.

Thanks again!
VSLover, haroon145, KARFA and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by mgb90
Huge thanks for this invaluable info, KARFA.

Was due to fly one-way from IST in J with BA on Dec 3, but was canceled. TK want £600 for a direct go on their A359, which is a nice cabin, but considering I paid £160 originally seemed a bit on the steep side.

Called the BA USA number just now to resolve. The guy offered a BA flight on Dec 4 as the only other flight they have, which doesn't work for me. Enquired about indirect and was told there is nothing, despite options via AMM or DOH.

After I started reading this advisory to him, he eventually relented and requested the QR flight numbers. After about 5 minutes on hold, he came back and said there was availability and could be booked. Ticket reissued. Now going IST-DOH-LHR a day earlier for the same price and saving myself a night in a hotel.

Thanks again!
Thanks for reporting your experience.
It's nice to know that you've convinced BA to rebook yourself on IST-DOH-LHR.
QSuites all the way, a visit to the Al Mourjan Lounge, real catering onboard, plus 180TP's instead of 80TP's and the savings of your hotel.

As a frequent flyer based in IST, my worst-case scenario on upcoming bookings would have been to ask to be rebooked on LH but having the option to be rebooked on QR seems much better.
wrp96 and OneworldHarj like this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, Flying Blue Gold, MH Enrich Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
It seems impossible to actually understand what you can get in case of cancellations.

As a GGL:
  • In July, Avios booking from HKG to FRA on Cathay in Business cancelled 16 days before departure. Within 5 minutes GGL agent rebooks me on Qatar and even allows to do DOH-BRU instead of FRA. (That’s was better for me)
  • In August, BA cash booking in Business from LHR to FCO cancelled 7 days before departure. Despite multiple calls and escalation, impossible to get rebooked while there were good options on AZ and AF. I ended up getting a refund and buying a new flight on AF.
  • In September, LHR-KUL on BA WT+ cash booking upgraded to CW with Gold upgrade voucher cancelled 4 weeks before departure. Impossible to get rebooked despite multiple calls to GGL line... They only offered refund or rebooking in Y on Qatar. A week later, I asked again my options at the First class ticket desk at LHR and within minutes, the super helpful agent had me rebooked on Qatar in Business.
This inconsistency means I avoid flying BA for the time being. The last thing I want is to have to spend hours to enforce my rights... or to end up having to buy last minute expensive fares to be able to travel...
Old Nov 14, 2020, 2:21 am

Theres no agreement to rebook AZ and AF so thats unfortunate but correct that you couldnt be rebooked on them. With QR its only joint business routes that you could normally be rebooked on, so if its not a route thats joint business couldnt be used.

Last edited by Anonba; Nov 14, 2020 at 6:29 am
Old Nov 14, 2020, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by FlyingYan
It seems impossible to actually understand what you can get in case of cancellations.

As a GGL:
  • In July, Avios booking from HKG to FRA on Cathay in Business cancelled 16 days before departure. Within 5 minutes GGL agent rebooks me on Qatar and even allows to do DOH-BRU instead of FRA. (That’s was better for me)
  • In August, BA cash booking in Business from LHR to FCO cancelled 7 days before departure. Despite multiple calls and escalation, impossible to get rebooked while there were good options on AZ and AF. I ended up getting a refund and buying a new flight on AF.
  • In September, LHR-KUL on BA WT+ cash booking upgraded to CW with Gold upgrade voucher cancelled 4 weeks before departure. Impossible to get rebooked despite multiple calls to GGL line... They only offered refund or rebooking in Y on Qatar. A week later, I asked again my options at the First class ticket desk at LHR and within minutes, the super helpful agent had me rebooked on Qatar in Business.
This inconsistency means I avoid flying BA for the time being. The last thing I want is to have to spend hours to enforce my rights... or to end up having to buy last minute expensive fares to be able to travel...

I had similar experiences during the summer. Had a DUB-LHR-BLQ booking in Club Europe. BA pulled out of DUB for August so I got an email 6 days before travel saying the booking was cancelled. Rang the Gold line and they point blank refused to put me on EI DUB-LHR even in Y saying “they’d no rebooking option with EI” (also IAG, codeshare partner etc). Also refused to rebook me with LH/KL so I ended up just getting a refund and booking directly with EI to Verona.

A few weeks earlier, similar story but we were going to LCA. Again the DUB flight was canned but booked straight into EI as has always been the case in the past
Old Nov 14, 2020, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I had similar experiences during the summer. Had a DUB-LHR-BLQ booking in Club Europe. BA pulled out of DUB for August so I got an email 6 days before travel saying the booking was cancelled. Rang the Gold line and they point blank refused to put me on EI DUB-LHR even in Y saying “they’d no rebooking option with EI” (also IAG, codeshare partner etc). Also refused to rebook me with LH/KL so I ended up just getting a refund and booking directly with EI to Verona.

A few weeks earlier, similar story but we were going to LCA. Again the DUB flight was canned but booked straight into EI as has always been the case in the past
As crazy as it seems there isnt normally a rebooking agreement with EI for cancelled flights in advance. The exceptions are if you were already due to travel on an EI flight that was cancelled or a flight is cancelled on the day of departure could be used. There has also been additional flexibility added to use EI due to covid. No agreement to rebook on LH or KL so not surprised at this.Do your scenarios fit this?
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by Anonba; Nov 14, 2020 at 6:48 am
Old Nov 14, 2020, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Anonba
As crazy as it seems there isnt normally a rebooking agreement with EI for cancelled flights in advance. The exceptions are if you were already due to travel on an EI flight that was cancelled or a flight is cancelled on the day of departure could be used. There has also been additional flexibility added to use EI due to covid. No agreement to rebook on LH or KL so not surprised at this.Do your scenarios fit this?

This has never been my experience. Numerous times I’ve booked DUB-LHR-USA in BA J and there’s been some change where I was either auto rebooked or rang & rebooked onto a DUB-LHR EI flight on a BA code. Happened only a few weeks ago for an upcoming January booking
Old Nov 14, 2020, 9:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Anonba
I was surprised by this too and that there isn't a general rebooking allowance in the standard guidelines for EI for DUB.

As you say it is allowed where there are specific rebooking allowances, such as the current coronavirus rebooking allowance for DUB. If it is within 24 hours or at the airport then there is additional felixbity of course.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 9:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Thanks for reporting your experience.
It's nice to know that you've convinced BA to rebook yourself on IST-DOH-LHR.
QSuites all the way, a visit to the Al Mourjan Lounge, real catering onboard, plus 180TP's instead of 80TP's and the savings of your hotel.

As a frequent flyer based in IST, my worst-case scenario on upcoming bookings would have been to ask to be rebooked on LH but having the option to be rebooked on QR seems much better.
You will need a specific COVID test to be allowed to board QR flight in IST. This is a QR not a UK requirement.
s1362083 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TAP Miles&Go Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Accor Gold
You will need a specific COVID test to be allowed to board QR flight in IST. This is a QR not a UK requirement.
Did IST to DOH yesterday and, aside from check-in asking if I’d been to China in the last 14 days, wasn’t asked any questions about COVID by anyone at either end or en route.

My understanding is the PCR test is a Qatari requirement for those ending their journey there, but doesn’t apply to transit passengers.

I did see some people down the line having to take COVID consent forms.

Got a good grilling from a US Embassy official before they would let me get near QR729 to DFW this morning, but I expected that.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
No, as mgb90 reported, it's only for passengers terminating their journey in DOH.
Since the pandemic started, almost all my international flights were with Qatar and I was never asked for a COVID test and I never had a COVID test when departing Turkey.

Originally Posted by mgb90
Did IST to DOH yesterday and, aside from check-in asking if I’d been to China in the last 14 days, wasn’t asked any questions about COVID by anyone at either end or en route.

My understanding is the PCR test is a Qatari requirement for those ending their journey there, but doesn’t apply to transit passengers.

I did see some people down the line having to take COVID consent forms.

Got a good grilling from a US Embassy official before they would let me get near QR729 to DFW this morning, but I expected that.
I hope you enjoyed the journey
nufnuf77 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.