Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

January 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

Old Nov 4, 20, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry

Time to start the new thread

My BA92 has been cancelled on the 4th Jan and replaced with BA98. (YYZ-LHR)

At least I can cancel and get a refund without the 35 per person fee
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Nov 4, 20, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
I’m booked to travel LHR to KUL on Jan 11th but have had no cancellation notice yet.
Old Nov 4, 20, 5:03 pm

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
My early Jan BA 206 MIA to LHR has just been downgraded from an A380 to a 777.
And its pretty much packed it out in J.
I went to look at seating options - it gave me a relatively decent one for a old J 777, but always like to look, and no seating pairs left, just a few odd seats scattered round the cabin.
Old Nov 4, 20, 6:31 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
My Jan 6 LHR-SAN flight is showing zeros across the board. Same for the few days either side when the direct flight operated. (US POS) The days when no direct service was scheduled is showing connections available via JFK, ORD, DFW and surprisingly PHX. I had expected PHX to have bitten the dust too. I guess I just need to wait for the SAN cancellation notice to show up in the mail.

Anyone had much success in changing travel dates +/- a few days when making schedule changes? I was due to fly direct on a Wed, land at 4PM and go to work next day. Earliest I can get in with a connecting flight is 21:50 on an itinerary that is 5hrs longer, so I’m not sure I’ll be ready to work next day. So if I’m going to get home late, I would prefer that to be on a Saturday night and use the Sunday to recover.
Old Nov 4, 20, 6:50 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen View Post
My Jan 6 LHR-SAN flight is showing zeros across the board. Same for the few days either side when the direct flight operated. (US POS) The days when no direct service was scheduled is showing connections available via JFK, ORD, DFW and surprisingly PHX. I had expected PHX to have bitten the dust too. I guess I just need to wait for the SAN cancellation notice to show up in the mail.

Anyone had much success in changing travel dates +/- a few days when making schedule changes? I was due to fly direct on a Wed, land at 4PM and go to work next day. Earliest I can get in with a connecting flight is 21:50 on an itinerary that is 5hrs longer, so Im not sure Ill be ready to work next day. So if Im going to get home late, I would prefer that to be on a Saturday night and use the Sunday to recover.
If you booked through BA, you could move your dates -3/+14 days without any extra charge. There were also reports that the -3/+14 day requirement was waived at some point in the summer but I'm not sure if it's still waived in an involuntary situation.

Though, you would need to wait for the cancellation e-mail.
Old Nov 4, 20, 6:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Booked on BA229 LHR-BWI on the 9th Jan - in the vain hope that it will operate. Currently zeroed out in EF with only two seats taken - myself and Mrs CKBA in 21A and 21K. Uhm.
Old Nov 4, 20, 6:56 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by CKBA View Post
Booked on BA229 LHR-BWI on the 9th Jan - in the vain hope that it will operate. Currently zeroed out in EF with only two seats taken - myself and Mrs CKBA in 21A and 21K. Uhm.
Sorry, prepare yourself for a PHL or IAD arrival or a connecting itinerary to BWI.
BWI is zeroed out until 11 January.
Old Nov 4, 20, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
If you booked through BA, you could move your dates -3/+14 days without any extra charge. There were also reports that the -3/+14 day requirement was waived at some point in the summer but I'm not sure if it's still waived in an involuntary situation.

Thank you for the information. I will use that when I get the cancellation email and contact BA to re-route. Given the 14 day window, I could even stay to the following weekend, but (I) its January in the UK (ii) I live in San Diego and (iii) my in-laws will probably be sick to the back teeth of me as I will have been there since late November! 😀
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 20, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post

i noticed that you said dates. Does that mean that I could also change the outbound flight when the return is cancelled and needs a re-route?

I was originally on a SAN-LHR-SAN itinerary. I had a hunch that the outbound SAN-LHR flight would be cancelled, so I took the BWC option to rebook the outbound to LAX-LHR and as it was voluntary, I paid the $1 fare difference​​​​​. I was originally on the earlier 280 service that was ultimately cancelled and I was moved to the later 268 service than now lands at 3:25PM. I would now be open to switching that to a LAX-DFW-LHR, or even better, a SAN-DFW-LHR to get in just after 11AM. My outbound is on a Sat, so I spend the day traveling to DFW, or hang about the house all day before driving up to LAX to catch the late direct LAX flight. Getting to the UK 4 hrs earlier is the more appealing option for me.
Old Nov 5, 20, 8:34 am

i noticed that you said dates. Does that mean that I could also change the outbound flight when the return is cancelled and needs a re-route?
I don't know BA's exact policy on this. I know some airlines that allow it but I also know some others who don't which includes the Lufthansa Group.

I was originally on a SAN-LHR-SAN itinerary. I had a hunch that the outbound SAN-LHR flight would be cancelled, so I took the BWC option to rebook the outbound to LAX-LHR and as it was voluntary, I paid the $1 fare difference​​​​​. I was originally on the earlier 280 service that was ultimately cancelled and I was moved to the later 268 service than now lands at 3:25PM. I would now be open to switching that to a LAX-DFW-LHR, or even better, a SAN-DFW-LHR to get in just after 11AM. My outbound is on a Sat, so I spend the day traveling to DFW, or hang about the house all day before driving up to LAX to catch the late direct LAX flight. Getting to the UK 4 hrs earlier is the more appealing option for me.
If you booked through BA, the 300-mile radius rule applies in involuntary cases, so you should be able to switch your origin to SAN. That's what I'm sure about.
Old Nov 5, 20, 10:24 am

I see on another thread that the SAN service is showing availability on Sunday Jan 10, so I would certainly be open to switching to that service, knowing if that gets canned, then I could revert to the LHR-DFW-SAN on sat the 9th if they extend the postponement of the SAN route.
Old Nov 5, 20, 10:30 am

I see on another thread that the SAN service is showing availability on Sunday Jan 10, so I would certainly be open to switching to that service, knowing if that gets canned, then I could revert to the LHR-DFW-SAN on sat the 9th if they extend the postponement of the SAN route.
The schedule is updated until 10 January ( excludes 10 Jan ) so be prepared for a cancellation on 10 January as well.
Your worst-case scenario seems reasonable for me as LHR-DFW is one of the last USA routes to be trimmed and AA would 99.99% operate DFW-SAN in January.
Old Nov 9, 20, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
doh! Not surprising that the LHR-BWI has just been cancelled for 9 January... . Email from BA have just booked into IAD - but have to confirm it through MMB. Tried that, but it won't show the BA293 into IAD (even though BA says we are rebooked on it). Might have to leave a day or so for it to sort itself out.
Old Nov 9, 20, 8:27 am

My SAN flight was officially cancelled this morning, so 5 days after being zeroed out.

Under MMB, I was given the option to switch the outbound and inbound flights. I decided to keep my outbound as before. By sticking with the direct flight on the Saturday evening I lessen the travel time, remove the need to hang around DFW and hopefully lessen contact on board as the Sat direct flight is very lightly loaded in CW. I did look to perhaps switch from a Sat to a Fri departure, but that flight is a lot more heavily loaded (as of right now)

For the return I opted to switch to a LHR-DFW-SAN route and pushed travel back from Jan 6 to Jan 9. It’s currently showing a 781 for the DFW flight with a CS layout. I selected 7A should it revert to a 789 in the hope that the seat selection sticks.
Old Nov 9, 20, 3:24 pm

My early Jan SJC flight cancelled today. Moved to SFO flight with no issues. Fortunately my travel plans/requirements are relatively simple and I'm generally fairly flexible.

rb211.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: