Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to escalate Seating Department requests?

Old Nov 1, 20, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott

I am having a problem with seat selection in 2 CE flights (LHR-VIE and MUC-LHR) for June 8 and 19. It's a technical problem. When I get to seat selection it says I can select seats without charge (am OW Sapphire). I can select the seats but then when I click "confirm seats" it says:
  • Sorry, we are unable to process your request. Please contact your local British Airways office.
I have called BA res 3 times now hoping they can resolve this problem. I have been told 1) wait 24 hrs and try again 2) "it's too far in advance - we don't know what equipment will be on that flight and 3) I'm sending your request to the "seating department" and they will reserve for you. So, I've tried after 24 hrs and after 3 weeks, I went through the steps up to payment for a mock duplicate booking on the same flights and the error doesn't occur, and after several weeks the "seating department" hasn't done anything.

On call #3 I asked to speak with a supervisor and was denied. Is there still a BA rep here on FT who maybe can help resolve this problem, which appears to be technical ?
Old Nov 1, 20, 4:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think the team that handles manual seating requests has been furloughed for the time being, we saw some complaints about TCP seating for Emeralds not being actioned. The usual cause of that message is ticketing not being completed, heavily amended ticketing, or the use of non BA booking channels.

But I have to say that it probably would be a better use of time to leave this until around April or May next year. There isn't a huge difference in the seats in CE and Theoretical Seating will keep groups of passengers together anyway. Given all the equipment and flight changes (currently running into hundreds a week) I fear that even if someone did resolve this, within a few weeks you could be back to square one again. There isn't any realistic danger of flights selling out in the current climate.
Old Nov 2, 20, 2:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
i thought there was a new joiner a few weeks back under the handle HighViz2020 or NotAlex2020 ? or is he not past his inagural post limits?
ermis177 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 20, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
The twitter team are typically very helpful with seating requests.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Nov 2, 20, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
This is probably something to action in about six months' time.
Old Nov 2, 20, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
This is probably something to action in about six months' time.
If BA still exists then.
JessicaB likes this.
Old Nov 2, 20, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
I am having a problem with seat selection in 2 CE flights (LHR-VIE and MUC-LHR) for June 8 and 19. It's a technical problem. When I get to seat selection it says I can select seats without charge (am OW Sapphire). I can select the seats but then when I click "confirm seats" it says:
  • Sorry, we are unable to process your request. Please contact your local British Airways office.
I have called BA res 3 times now hoping they can resolve this problem. I have been told 1) wait 24 hrs and try again 2) "it's too far in advance - we don't know what equipment will be on that flight and 3) I'm sending your request to the "seating department" and they will reserve for you. So, I've tried after 24 hrs and after 3 weeks, I went through the steps up to payment for a mock duplicate booking on the same flights and the error doesn't occur, and after several weeks the "seating department" hasn't done anything.

On call #3 I asked to speak with a supervisor and was denied. Is there still a BA rep here on FT who maybe can help resolve this problem, which appears to be technical ?

This looks like the error message when the booking isn't actually ticketed yet. Could that be it?
Old Nov 2, 20, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tjcxx View Post
This looks like the error message when the booking isn't actually ticketed yet. Could that be it?
I have a had a few unticketed reservations recently because of FTVs and they have all allowed me to make seat reservations even in the unticketed state.
Old Nov 2, 20, 1:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If it is a booking made using an FTV you should be able to make seat reservations whilst waiting for re-ticketing if you are a OWS/BA silver or higher.

One thing I have noticed, sometimes my BAEC number has fallen out of the booking between when I call to make the booking and the ticketing and this would prevent me doing seat selection, but you can put it back in on MMB and then do seat selection.
cwagsg likes this.
Old Nov 2, 20, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
If it is a booking made using an FTV you should be able to make seat reservations whilst waiting for re-ticketing if you are a OWS/BA silver or higher.

One thing I have noticed, sometimes my BAEC number has fallen out of the booking between when I call to make the booking and the ticketing and this would prevent me doing seat selection, but you can put it back in on MMB and then do seat selection.
It's an award reservation made over the phone with BA (open jaw trip). It has my AA AAdvantage OW Sapphire number in it which gives me free seat selection. It allows me to do seat selection, just won't confirm it. The BA res agent who made the initial booking couldn't even get seat selection on the sectors in CE; transatlantic flights in F were no problem.
Old Nov 3, 20, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.

Try the Twitter team via DM, they're normally very helpful.
Old Nov 5, 20, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tuonopepper View Post
Try the Twitter team via DM, they're normally very helpful.
Twitter team NOT helpful at all. I tweeted them and the agent simply responded the same as the res agent responded - seat map not available yet. I told them in my tweet that 1) 2 seats in CW have already been reserved and 2) I am able to create a mock revenue reservation and reserve seats, so seat map IS available. Why would they waste my time with a response like this. I explained there is some technical problem here that needs to be escalated. They failed to do this.
Old Nov 5, 20, 9:14 pm

Twitter team NOT helpful at all. I tweeted them and the agent simply responded the same as the res agent responded - seat map not available yet. I told them in my tweet that 1) 2 seats in CW have already been reserved and 2) I am able to create a mock revenue reservation and reserve seats, so seat map IS available. Why would they waste my time with a response like this. I explained there is some technical problem here that needs to be escalated. They failed to do this.
Please read post 2 - it's probably the most concise information you could ever read that answers the semantics behind your problem.
​​​​​
Old Nov 5, 20, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft View Post
Please read post 2 - it's probably the most concise information you could ever read that answers the semantics behind your problem.
​​​​​
There is absolutely nothing to suggest that this problem will resolved any better next May than now. It's a technical problem involving my PNR that time will not resolve. I want it fixed NOW. Is that unreasonable ? I want specific seats. Others apparently can get specific seats now. I'm not going to leave this until departure date. Would you?
Old Nov 5, 20, 10:54 pm

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that this problem will resolved any better next May than now. It's a technical problem involving my PNR that time will not resolve. I want it fixed NOW. Is that unreasonable ? I want specific seats. Others apparently can get specific seats now. I'm not going to leave this until departure date. Would you?
I understand you're based in the US and, comprehensibly, news are a bit clogged up with the elections and so on but over here in the UK it's day 2 of the second lockdown. BA is furloughing at least half of their people, based on what I'm hearing and is operating between a third and a fourth of their normal flights. LGW is closed, LCY is all but closed, the short-haul programme (normally 250/300 flights a day) will reduce to 87 frequencies per week. All this to say that fixing a seating issue for a flight 6 months away is, indeed, unreasonable.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: