Impact of November lockdown on BA travel

Old Oct 31, 20, 1:36 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY (finally); previously BOS, NYC, AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 16,092
Impact of November lockdown on BA travel

Ok, so I know people might need more than 15 minutes to digest the latest lockdown announcement, but can we please have a factual (i.e., no speculation!) discussion of its impact on BA operations.

I was due to fly QR DOH-LHR on Thursday (5 Nov), and then fly BA LHR-DXB on Sunday (8 Nov). I'm pretty sure that's not in the cards now.

My QR flights are entirely flexible, so I can easily change to arrive on Tuesday (3 Nov). Can I expect BA to offer flexibility for changing my LHR-DXB flight to fly out that night without significant penalties/change fees/fare differences, etc? My ticket is a purchased PE ticket with a UUA to J.

Alternatively, if I arrange to fly DOH-LHR before the lockdown kicks in, can I expect to fly out on my scheduled LHR-DXB flight on Saturday?

Last edited by Blumie; Oct 31, 20 at 1:43 pm
Blumie is offline  
Old Oct 31, 20, 1:42 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Silver
Posts: 375
I understand that international travel other than for work will be banned.
SxMan likes this.
Vgravity is offline  
Old Oct 31, 20, 1:43 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,727
Originally Posted by Vgravity View Post
I understand that international travel other than for work will be banned.
Who will check your reason for travel?
paulaf is online now  
Old Oct 31, 20, 1:44 pm
  #4  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,370
Possibly. There were some policies along those lines back in March allowing movement of flights to avoid certain deadlines. However I think you would have to wait until Monday and Tuesday to see the details of how travel is restricted and what ba’s policy is.
KARFA is online now  
Old Oct 31, 20, 1:46 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Bronze
Posts: 5,264
Originally Posted by paulaf View Post
Who will check your reason for travel?
That's beside the point, isn't it?
Flexible preferences is offline  
Old Oct 31, 20, 1:47 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Leicestershire, UK
Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard, Shell Go+
Posts: 490
I am scheduled to fly on the LHR > BLR route on Thursday.. Do we think this will still go ahead as planned or if it's safer to see if I can move it to Wednesday?
Paren is offline  
Old Oct 31, 20, 1:47 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 335
I'm supposed to be connecting in LHR from EDI. Will that be allowed?
u01sss3 is offline  
Old Oct 31, 20, 1:51 pm
  #8  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,370
Originally Posted by Paren View Post
I am scheduled to fly on the LHR > BLR route on Thursday.. Do we think this will still go ahead as planned or if it's safer to see if I can move it to Wednesday?
Originally Posted by u01sss3 View Post
I'm supposed to be connecting in LHR from EDI. Will that be allowed?
I think we will have to wait for some details of the rules of the lockdown to answer those.
KARFA is online now  
Old Oct 31, 20, 1:55 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK - South Coast
Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Posts: 1,560
I’d question your assumption that your current booked itinerary isn't possible. We don’t know until the rules / regs for this lockdown are released.

If your LHR - DXB is avios on BA, then you’re presumably dependent on the avios rules re. cancellation etc. As a stand-alone ticket, BA is under zero obligation to consider any possible issues with your QR ticket, as far as they’re concerned they’re taking you from LHR to DXB.
krispy84 is offline  
Old Oct 31, 20, 2:04 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY (finally); previously BOS, NYC, AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 16,092
Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
I’d question your assumption that your current booked itinerary isn't possible. We don’t know until the rules / regs for this lockdown are released.

If your LHR - DXB is avios on BA, then you’re presumably dependent on the avios rules re. cancellation etc. As a stand-alone ticket, BA is under zero obligation to consider any possible issues with your QR ticket, as far as they’re concerned they’re taking you from LHR to DXB.
I'm not concerned about my QR ticket. I am dealing directly with QR on that, and in fact likely will change it to arrive on Wednesday rather than Thursday to beat the start of the lockdown.

And while BA can always strictly adhere it its T&Cs (whether Avios or otherwise), we have, of course, seen the airlines, including BA, adopt special rules, typically affording greater flexibility, to deal with the Coronavirus and the associated government restrictions on travel. I think it's reasonable that BA will announce some sort of policy related to this most recent lockdown.
Blumie is offline  
Old Oct 31, 20, 2:08 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Posts: 1,642
As has been said, I really think we need to give the industry some time to get their head around the latest announcement. They found out about it at the same time as us after all...
tom139 is offline  
Old Oct 31, 20, 2:09 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK - South Coast
Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Posts: 1,560
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
I'm not concerned about my QR ticket. I am dealing directly with QR on that, and in fact likely will change it to arrive on Wednesday rather than Thursday to beat the start of the lockdown.

And while BA can always strictly adhere it its T&Cs (whether Avios or otherwise), we have, of course, seen the airlines, including BA, adopt special rules, typically affording greater flexibility, to deal with the Coronavirus and the associated government restrictions on travel. I think it's reasonable that BA will announce some sort of policy related to this most recent lockdown.
Why should BA do anything? They’re transporting you from LHR to DXB. How you get to LHR is entirely down to you.
krispy84 is offline  
Old Oct 31, 20, 2:14 pm
  #13  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 48,232
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
I'm not concerned about my QR ticket. I am dealing directly with QR on that, and in fact likely will change it to arrive on Wednesday rather than Thursday to beat the start of the lockdown.

And while BA can always strictly adhere it its T&Cs (whether Avios or otherwise), we have, of course, seen the airlines, including BA, adopt special rules, typically affording greater flexibility, to deal with the Coronavirus and the associated government restrictions on travel. I think it's reasonable that BA will announce some sort of policy related to this most recent lockdown.
The current formal answer is it depends on whether BA cancels the service. If they do, then you can move to alternative services without issue or extra expense. If they don't cancel you can either travel, if that is allowed, claim the FTV for the cash element, get a potentially voluntary refund on the cash fare component but a refund of the Avios for the UUA. The last option probably isn't attractive, but the thing to watch, if the flight goes ahead, is to cancel the UuA at least 24 hours before departure.
Dambus and KARFA like this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Oct 31, 20, 2:19 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY (finally); previously BOS, NYC, AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 16,092
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The current formal answer is it depends on whether BA cancels the service. If they do, then you can move to alternative services without issue or extra expense. If they don't cancel you can either travel, if that is allowed, claim the FTV for the cash element, get a potentially voluntary refund on the cash fare component but a refund of the Avios for the UUA. The last option probably isn't attractive, but the thing to watch, if the flight goes ahead, is to cancel the UuA at least 24 hours before departure.
That's very helpful. Thank you.

So my current plan, pending further information from the government and BA, is to change my QR ticket to arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday, and fly out on BA as scheduled on Saturday. I'm also expecting that I'll be able to keep my Thursday medical appointment for a PCR test to allow me to travel to DXB.

(I also just realized that my DXB-LHR return flight is for 30 Nov -- which may or may not work, depending on the details of the lockdown -- but I'll deal with that later.)
Blumie is offline  
Old Oct 31, 20, 2:21 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY (finally); previously BOS, NYC, AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 16,092
Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
Why should BA do anything? They’re transporting you from LHR to DXB. How you get to LHR is entirely down to you.
Thank you for your continued assistance. I think you're completely missing my issue. In any event, I have an interim plan, pending further details from the government and BA.
Silver Fox likes this.
Blumie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: