Video calling with no headphones

Old Oct 31, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
For those who are not familiar with LHR T5, there is Dixon's 3-5 minutes away from the lounge ( via walk ) which would sell any kind of headphones ( in-ear, wireless, headsets ) plus any kind of adaptor if your device does not have an headphone jack.
Coincidentally I've purchased a pair of new ones there, when I had my old ones forgotten on board AA (a domestic flight prior to my TATL to Europe) and I was on a TP run. I was pretty certain they'd never find their way back to me, so didn't waste time and purchased better ones, while waiting for my BA flight. Indeed, AA never found the lost ones (i.e. somebody pocketed them). The headphones I purchased at that Dixon's are still in use, although I relegated them today to secondary status.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:46 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Originally Posted by Vgravity
Sitting in the F lounge. ....
Shouldn't this be in the DYKWIA thread ?

But yes, I agree with you.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Is a millenial someone with more than a million avios?
No, it’s just 1000...
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:58 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Oh no. Not guilty. Like many here I find it inconsiderate and irritating.
Well said! That is exactly what it is. Such boorish behaviour is all too commonplace isn’t it?
BorisBrownBear likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
OP is more than capable of buying a pair of Bose noise-canceling headphones to fix the problem without causing a fuss.

To call the situation "disgusting" is completely dramatic.
What if the OP is travelling in a group, who are all sitting together respectfully having a conversation not annoying anyone? Why should they have to be anti-social and wear headphones in this scenario?

i agree if you are travelling alone and wish to not interact with anyone, the suggestion of noise-cancelling headphones is sensible and gets around the problem. But, it does not fix the underlying issue which is the lack of basic good manners in some people.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by Confus
After a few US trips I once found myself with half a dozen of the small AA/Avis headphone sachets in my rucksack. They were fantastic to hand out to the video-players with a quick ‘since you seem to have forgotten your headphones I thought you might like these’. Funnily enough that tended to do the trick.

I have only once been brave enough to turn around and scream “Do you have to shout?!” at someone on obnoxious calls in a lounge. I scream it internally every time though. Must learn to be less British about that. Or invite Pucci to be my travel companion.

I actually think some people just don’t realise that other people can hear them. It’s as if they’ve grown up in a world that revolves only around them and that contains no other people. I hate it.

Oh, my other confusion... people who hold phones perpendicular to their mouth to have a conversation on speaker. It’s as if they’ve never realised that a mobile phone has noise at one end and a microphone at the other... you know, like a phone. I’ve never understood that one.
With regard to the talking into the end of the phone habit; I blame the TV programme The Apprentice.

It started with the competitors. Doing this in the back of people carriers on group calls to another van.

Then the general populace started doing it down the street when it’s far easier just to hold it to their ears as per the desig of the phone for 100 years.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 3:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
With regard to the talking into the end of the phone habit; I blame the TV programme The Apprentice.

It started with the competitors. Doing this in the back of people carriers on group calls to another van.

Then the general populace started doing it down the street when it’s far easier just to hold it to their ears as per the desig of the phone for 100 years.
I find it helpful in identifying tools.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
very rude behaviour, sadly a sign of the (self centred) times.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Bronze :(
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I agree people should have common courtesy. BUT....

OP is more than capable of buying a pair of Bose noise-canceling headphones to fix the problem without causing a fuss.

To call the situation "disgusting" is completely dramatic.
A touch dramatic, but then I'm also not sure in which world going out and spending Ł200+ on a pair of headphones is an appropriate solution to something that can be fixed for free by the person causing a nuisance.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Sitting in the F lounge. Three separate people have been video calling with no headphones on so we all have to listen to their conversations.

This seems to now be an accepted norm (along with kids playing video games with no headphones on board).

Am I in the minority that I don’t think this should be allowed?
I hope you are not in a minority. I think it is the height of rudeness, and it seems to be on the increase. Personally I find them infinitely more distracting than loud phone calls.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Silver IHG Platinum Elite
I should point out that it’s going on ten feet from the CCR entry desk. Loads of BA staff have been past and nobody seems to care.
Surely if it was 10 feet from the CCR Desk then it must have been in the open area that separates the Frequent Flyer's lounge from the real Fist Lounge (the Concorde Room!). Still not great behaviour but also not as tacky as doing tin the main lounges.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Well said! That is exactly what it is. Such boorish behaviour is all too commonplace isn’t it?
Sat 31st Oct in the CCT - shared that lovely space for 1 hour with an American lady FaceTiming on speakers
Old Nov 2, 2020, 10:27 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Sat 31st Oct in the CCT - shared that lovely space for 1 hour with an American lady FaceTiming on speakers
That was no lady my Dear - you are too well mannered. I'd have put up with three minutes of that nonsense. What was she dicussing - the party her coven were holding that night?
81romeo and Tocsin like this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
That was no lady my Dear - you are too well mannered. I'd have put up with three minutes of that nonsense. What was she dicussing - the party her coven were holding that night?
"When shall we (three) meet again - In thunder, lightning, wind or rain?"
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I had to endure two people in the AA lounge at DFW on a single very loud hands-free call to someone. I went and turned up the TV volume to a suitable level to both drown out their call from my perspective, and to make it impossible for them to continue the call. They went elsewhere to complete it, at which point I turned the TV back down. I was the only other person in the TV room (apart from my wife) so it didn't impact anyone, and the staff behind the bar thought it a novel way of dealing with the problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.