How are the BA Brazilian routes doing?

Old Oct 31, 2020, 1:48 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
I always try and avoid LATAM on flights to Brasil and South America. It's very variable in terms of service and I don't much like the seat or layout compared to other options. Now they're not in oneworld, I definitely wouldn't bother with them.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 9:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
I am flying to Brazil every month at the moment as my partner lives there.
Hi there, thats me now officially booked LHR-GIG-LHR in January with BA. It looks like the route has started up again so fingers crossed I do not get re routed through GRU.

How has it been since your last post? How is life on the ground in Rio? I have booked Hilton Copacabana.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Hi there, thats me now officially booked LHR-GIG-LHR in January with BA. It looks like the route has started up again so fingers crossed I do not get re routed through GRU.

How has it been since your last post? How is life on the ground in Rio? I have booked Hilton Copacabana.
I am off to Rio later today actually. As you pointed out, the BA flights started again on 12th Dec.

About a month ago BA trimmed the route slightly cutting one flight per week in December, so I am pretty certain the route will continue to operate in Jan, even if they may trim the service just a little to meet demand.

I have happy memories of Hilton Copacabana as that is where my partner and I stayed when we met for the first time (I went on a date to Rio). I still remember the view from the room looking down the bend of Copacabana beach as one of the most amazing view from a hotel I have ever had. It was totally magical.

I was in Rio in November again. Things have changed a bit. The politicians re-opened the beaches prior to the November elections (closed beaches are not a vote winner) and some other business such as open-air clubs re-opened as well. You can now try on clothes again in shops.

As I mentioned in my previous post, Brazil does personal protection very well (masks in the street, sanitiser/temperature checks in shops) but is maybe less strong in other areas (e.g. groups or households mixing) and some areas may be very very busy.

Things are certainly busier there than I am now used to - so I find that when I am there - the more consideration and planning of what I do (when, what time, route, how busy it will be) the more I enjoy things and the more I do. There may be quieter times to go to the beach and much busier times and I don't really need to go on Saturday afternoon when it will be packed.

I also find that reading current reviews of hotels under COVID conditions is very useful - following up by talking to the hotel if I have any queries (e.g. for me the gym being open is crucial).

Uber is exceptionally cheap and very reliable there which makes the whole city very easy. At GIG there is an Uber waiting area on the upper level (sign-posted) and it is normal to have Uber lounges in shopping centres. Some public transport such as the Barra Rapid Transit are crammed full as they have a reduced service currently and I avoid.

Travelling from the airport past the favelas at the roadside, listening to samba on the taxi radio, marvelling at the landscape around me is when I know I have arrived in Rio and I am always super-excited at that point.

I think Brazil is an amazing country and Rio is a magical city - so have a great time!
Old Dec 20, 2020, 4:08 pm

(For some reason I couldn't find this thread earlier so have asked in both here and the Tier 4 one, hope thats ok!)

Hi guys in the know! I'm due to fly to Brazil (GRU) for work on the 2nd January, given Brazil's quite blase attitude to COVID what do we think the likelihood of a) Brazil closing their borders to UK and B) BA operating the flights?

Thank you!
Old Dec 20, 2020, 4:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enemigo
(For some reason I couldn't find this thread earlier so have asked in both here and the Tier 4 one, hope thats ok!)

Hi guys in the know! I'm due to fly to Brazil (GRU) for work on the 2nd January, given Brazil's quite blase attitude to COVID what do we think the likelihood of a) Brazil closing their borders to UK and B) BA operating the flights?

Thank you!
Hi,

Are you aware that on the 18th, Brazil introduced a new rule that from the 30th, ALL people arriving from abroad whether foreign or Brazilian, residents or non residents need a PCR test from within the last 72 hours? Sprung on us out of nowhere.

Also regards a UK ban, no idea right now. Only non European countries banning UK so far are El Salvador, Israel and Kuwait. But who knows? Real mess.

I think its likely BA will continue LHR-GRU as they have done through the last lockdowns (flight ban permitting), but I think LHR-GIG may be a goner for the next few months, certainly with London tier 4 and the ban on any transit traffic from the EU.

Eurgh, what a mess.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Hi,

Are you aware that on the 18th, Brazil introduced a new rule that from the 30th, ALL people arriving from abroad whether foreign or Brazilian, residents or non residents need a PCR test from within the last 72 hours? Sprung on us out of nowhere.
NO! I had no idea about that... That seems to of been sprung out of nowhere. I think I will move flights to the 1st and get a test on the 30th. Out of interest do you have to do the physical test within 72 of the flight taking off or arriving?

Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 20, 2020, 4:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

NO! I had no idea about that... That seems to of been sprung out of nowhere. I think I will move flights to the 1st and get a test on the 30th. Out of interest do you have to do the physical test within 72 of the flight taking off or arriving?

Thanks for the help!
72 hours before departure. You need to fill out some health form too (not yet released). I was not best pleased to have this sprung out of nowhere but oh well. I am quite tempted to just shift my LHR-GIG to April/May time now.

https://www.traveloffpath.com/brazil...all-travelers/
Old Dec 20, 2020, 4:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
It's unclear whether this is a requirement for transit as well - I regularly did FRA-GRU-BOG, having read the ordnance 630 I am still not sure. As I do not enter the country usually the test shouldnt be necessary
Old Dec 20, 2020, 5:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
It's unclear whether this is a requirement for transit as well - I regularly did FRA-GRU-BOG, having read the ordnance 630 I am still not sure. As I do not enter the country usually the test shouldnt be necessary
It is unclear. No specifications for what the result certificate needs to have on it either. Over on the South Africa thread there is discussion as to whether PCR results need a doctor signature/stamp or not, despite many PCR results coming in via email with no such signature or stamp.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 2:26 am

Article in the Telegraph today- if it's been in Brazil since Spring hopefully we can still travel!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...l-last-spring/
Old Dec 21, 2020, 2:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver

Thank you!
Last Friday I spoke with a good friend who lives in Rio. He says most bars and restaurants open plus shops but currently around one thousand Covid deaths a day in Brasil. I love the county and people but would not be looking to go there anytime soon even if the flights operate.

I do wonder if BA will tack the GIG flights onto GRU (like they used to do some years ago)? So a daily flight to GRU then one day it goes onto EZE and another day to GIG.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 3:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
TIMATIC still not updated but keenly awaiting to hear transit rules if any changes happen
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
Last Friday I spoke with a good friend who lives in Rio. He says most bars and restaurants open plus shops but currently around one thousand Covid deaths a day in Brasil. I love the county and people but would not be looking to go there anytime soon even if the flights operate.

I do wonder if BA will tack the GIG flights onto GRU (like they used to do some years ago)? So a daily flight to GRU then one day it goes onto EZE and another day to GIG.
Hello from Rio

Most things are open here except cinemas and large events. Very good levels of protection but manically busy to the point where I just feel unsafe sometimes and have to get out of where I am. I am enjoying walking in quiet parks etc away from the main tourist sites

Covid rates are increasing and hospitals are full. But life carries on as there is no social security net so you either work or starve.

the BA flight to GIG on 17th was full in all classes but with many Brazilians (returning home?) rather than full of tourists. My hotel has Brazilians staying just for the weekend but few international guests. I think it was just the 3rd GIG flight since April lockdown

The GRU flight connects to about 4 Rio services AM so maybe BA doesn’t need to fly on to GiG ? But neat idea re EZE.

I feel a lot more scared in London than here because in London a sizeable majority don’t follow the rules whereas here almost everyone does.

As you mention there are problems here beneath the sunshine veneer. I suspect Brazil will get bad again as they are following the Euro open up too quickly trail and we all know where that ends up ...
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:41 am

Hi All, has anyone flown to Brazil yesterday from the U.K.? There are some confusing (as always) reports in the Brazilian press that the Ministry of Health has introduced a ten day isolation for the U.K. arrivals (link below, sorry it’s in Portuguese).

I cannot find an official statement but am seeing similar articles across the different papers. The headlines tend to say “must isolate” or “need to isolate”, but when you read the text it only talks about recommendations by the Health Ministry.

I have a flight on the 26th (LHR-GRU) and won’t go if there is isolation...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/saude...0003560926.amp

​​​​​​​many thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Dove777
Hi All, has anyone flown to Brazil yesterday from the U.K.? There are some confusing (as always) reports in the Brazilian press that the Ministry of Health has introduced a ten day isolation for the U.K. arrivals (link below, sorry it’s in Portuguese).
many thanks!
Spoke to a friend in Brazil who said it sounds more like an advisory... If anyone has any more details I'd also be keen to know. Due to fly on 1st!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.