Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Iberia ticket, BA metal unable to change assigned seat

Old Oct 30, 2020, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec

Apologies if this has already been asked but I have checked the dashboard without much success.

I have a LHR-MAD-LHR flight ticketed with Iberia . The outbound flight is operated by Iberia and it was very easy to select a seat on the Iberia website for this sector. However, the website wont allow me to select a seat for the inbound, BA-operated flight. These flights also appear under MMB on the BA website and app (Im EC Silver) . However, MMB wont allow me to select a seat on the BA-operated flight and I get a message saying unable please try again later or alternatively check in early...

Ive called BA and they have tried unsuccessfully to change my seat (aisle, assigned automatically) and suggested I call Iberia as the flight was marketed by Iberia. Iberia have tried but say they are locked out of the seat map for the inbound flight.

I suppose I should give up and not worry about it given current events in the wider world, but just wondered whether anyone might have another option ?
Old Oct 30, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
This is unfortunately a common IT snafu between Iberia and BA where you have an IB flight number for a BA operated flight. I have never found a way around selecting a different seat, even trying to use the BA booking ref which will be different to the IB booking ref. You may also have a problem with not being able to do online checkin either.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJA_
This is unfortunately a common IT snafu between Iberia and BA where you have an IB flight number for a BA operated flight. I have never found a way around selecting a different seat, even trying to use the BA booking ref which will be different to the IB booking ref. You may also have a problem with not being able to do online checkin either.

Fair enough I suspected something like IT. No problem, Ill just sit where Ive been told to !
Old Oct 30, 2020, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Bar Operator
Fair enough I suspected something like IT. No problem, Ill just sit where Ive been told to !
I also meant to add you may have to chase for Tier Points and Avios too (assuming it's not a reward booking). So keep copies of the BP.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

IIRC I once had a similar problem and was able to sort it out using Finnairs MMB.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
IIRC I once had a similar problem and was able to sort it out using Finnairs MMB.
It's worth trying that, didn't work for me last time I tried.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks AJA_ and HIDDY

Its a regular (non Avios) paid ticket. I tried Finnair and some other OW airline websites and in all cases they either said it wasnt possible or just redirected me back to BA MMB.

No problem, Im fine with it and I suspect the flight wont be that busy (its a 777).
HIDDY and AJA_ like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.