Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boeing 757 final flight : ten years to the day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2020, 5:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

My goodness, doesn’t time fly. I am feeling quite nostalgic today.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
I loved the thrill of a 757 takeoff...., lots of thrust, quick ascent and away!
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 6:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

I had an excellent article about the 757 in mind but couldn’t remember where I had read it. Found it now. Here it is...

The Boeing 757 was the little aircraft that could., published by London Air Travel in summer 2019
20Rothmans and KARFA like this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 6:21 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Prospero
When we reach your age, Pet, then doubtless so will we

Now - this is interesting. The reason always given for having services in the ghastly T3 was that the 757 did not have luggage bins and each piece was loaded individually. This apparently would not work in T5 - though they still managed to seriously damage people's baggage - as this was geared for bins only. 10 years have now passed and were it not for the collapse of traffic - they would still be there.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I believe these birds also operated UK domestic? I remember a flight in a 757 (at least I think so) from Glasgow to LHR as it was of the bumpiest rides I ever had.

Never managed to fly on of these birds again - and I think AA hasn't too many of them (should I ever be allowed to be back in the States)
Old Oct 30, 2020, 11:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I had an excellent article about the 757 in mind but couldn’t remember where I had read it. Found it now. Here it is...

The Boeing 757 was the little aircraft that could., published by London Air Travel in summer 2019
Thanks. I never knew BA had so many 757s.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC GfL, Marriott Bonvoy TfL
I was on that final flight; memorable for several reasons. Full thrust takeoff and full autobrake on landing. I seem to recall the Captain saying we were climbing at 6,000 fpm immediately after take off and ATC had to ask us to reduce the rate of climb.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
There were two parked at LGW for a while after their withdrawal. They were parked together south of the runway, noses to wings. From across the airfield, they looked like an inverted pushmipullyu.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I believe these birds also operated UK domestic? I remember a flight in a 757 (at least I think so) from Glasgow to LHR as it was of the bumpiest rides I ever had.

Never managed to fly on of these birds again - and I think AA hasn't too many of them (should I ever be allowed to be back in the States)
Absolutely correct. I flew on them many times between Glasgow and Heathrow. 3 cabins with I think 9 rows in the forward cabin. They also plied the Glasgow-New York route for a bit with the forward cabin being Club World with the older cradle seats.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by Steve74
I was on that final flight; memorable for several reasons. Full thrust takeoff and full autobrake on landing. I seem to recall the Captain saying we were climbing at 6,000 fpm immediately after take off and ATC had to ask us to reduce the rate of climb.
Yes, me too. I did the whole day LHR MAN LHR GLA LHR EDI LHR. Glasgow runway to FL340 in just over 6 minutes as I recall. A transformative aircraft. Unbeatable performance but a bit too thirsty for the Finance team!
ENTP likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star

i frequently flew on the 757 from GLA to LHR, including one trip where I was in the cockpit for landing at LHR
Old Oct 30, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Yes, I was on it too. I took various pictures (happy to post if I can find them). Recall we descended to 9000 feet for most of the Journey to get a better look at whatever was below.

Old Oct 30, 2020, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Never managed to fly on of these birds again - and I think AA hasn't too many of them
None anymore.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
My retirement flight b2b at MAN

ENTP, pennineuk and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
I never flew on a BA 757 but the last one I flew on was an AA 757 from PHL > GLA, a few weeks before the service ended.

The flight was lightly loaded, so we didn’t need much of the runway for take off. The power of those engines on that aircraft is unforgettable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.