Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worth upgrading to F at the moment?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Worth upgrading to F at the moment?

What are people’s thoughts on using avios to upgrade a J booking to F based on current food / drink / lounges?

Have a J booking to MEX for Jan and there’s F seats available
Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Waste of money / avios in my opinion. The seat is pretty much the only difference these days, as the catering and bar service is equally pathetic in both classes (and you will be served all plastic in both J and F)
Howard Long, James91 and SxMan like this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Agree. I flew Club suites internationally yesterday and was sat in 5k so got a good look ahead.

there was no pre-takeoff beverage served for us in biz or in first. The food is not yet anywhere near where it should be, (it’s now just on par with the old economy) and the drinks on board are also not yet back to where they should be.

You would be paying for the seat. I would recommend staying in biz, but again you’re still paying for the seat.
SxMan likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:18 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
I've upgraded an upcoming LHR-MLE to F.

We are travelling with another couple, neither of whom have status.
Upgrading to F means that my girlfriend and I can guest both of our friends through the F wing and all 4 of us can spend the day on the CCT.
I imagine we'll be sleeping most of the flight, so being in a different cabin to them won't make a huge difference on board.

...I was also eager to try the new F seat 😁

I'd argue that ex-LHR without status it still makes sense to upgrade, especially if your aircraft isn't equipped with Club Suites.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:57 am
Original Poster

It’s currently down as a 789 so no club suite. We’re both Gold so have first wing etc
Old Oct 28, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: BA EC
Upgrade for the seat and the space: get your inflight food at Gordon Ramsey's or Fortnums in T5 a la SFO777 :-)
HNL1K, tattikat2, Blumie and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Absolutely, unless I'm scraping low on Avios, I think I will always pay the small amount of Avios to go into F, especially on leisure trips. Just keep your expectations in check
Old Oct 28, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
IMHO unless you just want a more comfy seat, it's a waste of Avios & ŁŁŁ travelling longhaul at all on BA or Virgin in biz or F cabins for discretionary leisure travel particularly while the government recommended sealed, pre-packaged F&B service is being followed.

Meanwhile, as many of us are all so well aware, the likes of Swiss, Lufthansa and Emirates offer a near normal service.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...-for-operators

Facilities

Reduce on-board service to the minimum necessary to ensure comfort and wellbeing of passengers and limit the contact between crew members and passengers.

Ask passengers to remain seated as much as possible.

Consider additional measures, such as:
  • limiting duty free or other non-essential product sales on board and accompanying these with procedures to minimise the contact between crew and passengers
  • reducing the food and drink service
  • using pre-packaged and sealed food and drink products
  • using contactless payments, wherever possible
  • implementing systems to avoid queueing or crowding around toilets
  • providing cleaning materials and hand sanitiser so people can wash their hands before entering and after leaving toilets
  • making passenger announcements on coronavirus guidance in the arrival country
Old Oct 28, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
I booked 2 seats in F (1st First) to fly back from Hong Kong on an A380. It has to be the best sleep I’ve had on a plane as the seat and bedding really was comfortable. Maybe it had something to do with my getting out of hospital that day with a broken wrist and zonked on tramodol!! The food was extremely disappointing. My husband was having to saw up my beef into morsels and it was largely inedible. Dessert was 2 frozen lumps of ice-cream and none of the other accompaniments mentioned in the menu. Spending 10 hours in the Concorde Room awaiting domestic connection was nice.
We thought the J offering on the outbound was far superior.
I would give F another try but only on leaving the UK and maybe on a daytime flight to enjoy all the food and drink offerings.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
club = sainsburys
first = waitrose

will i pay extra for similar food only because it is presented in a nicer environment with wider aisles and seat? yep.

but to each their own!

(econ in 3 class 777 to BKK is greggs of course)
Will100 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:00 am

Taking the risk on F to MEX myself in a few weeks. Could have downgraded to J but will make the most of the terrace and enjoy the extra seat space. Only do this once a year so will happily pay a little extra avios. Although I did manage to change my booking during the 50% sale which means I only paid 85k return for 2 people in first (was with a 2-4-1). Well worth it at that value!
mikeyfly and RockyRobin like this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Have my first Club Suite next week and its full to the brim. Hoping I dont get an upgrade to First.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 12:33 pm

I think perhaps the positioning on this thread is slightly off. If you're one to buy J tickets in general, you'll likely have a decent stash of avios.

If you have already bought a J ticket you're happy with, is it a biggy to spend c,25k avios to upgrade to First? Not at all, definitely do it.

If you're optimizing spend for a flatbed, I'd upgrade a WTP as availability is vast. Again to reiterate as above, you will be paying for the bed (and terrace if LHR) as the service is lacklustre all around.
andymcdonnell likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 1:11 pm

I did hear through somebody in customer services that the F offering food wise will definitely improve soon!
Old Oct 28, 2020, 1:42 pm

Also another point worth noting as OP called out, is whether or not it'll be regular J or suites. I would be meh about suites vs F when it comes down to the seat, as personally I like the additional privacy. If it was old layout vs F.. Well, I think we know the answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.