Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate means reduced refund - what can be done?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exchange rate means reduced refund - what can be done?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2020, 1:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You did have a choice. You could have called the US number or booked through a US channel. But you booked through the BA website which charges and refunds the currency of point of origin. It’s neither BA’s fault, nor your credit card’s. It is a natural effect of currency movements.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 1:49 am

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
Originally Posted by DominicB
I do wonder about whether this is correct. Under the T&Cs under which I booked from the USA, it is clear that the circumstances warrant a full refund. BA certainly has a US bank account. That it chooses to bill me in (what to me is) a foreign currency is not, I would suggest, a factor in terms of my rights.
im pretty sure it is correct they paid you what toy paid them it’s not their fault you paid in a foreign currency.

Another way to look at it would you be refunding them the difference of the exchange rate had worked in your favour.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I guess it's been done to death, but unfortunately in this case (and swings and roundabouts in others - it works in both directions) it sounds like you bought something in GBP then got refunded in GBP, so I think the airline's really done all I'd expect it to as you got all the GBP's returned in full. Whether you 'bought' the GBP with USD, gold bullion or bitcoin isn't really something they'd have visibility on or anything to do with.

If it's any consolation, I suspect most of us have been on either side of currency movements and I'd expect them to broadly balance out over a lifetime
Old Oct 29, 2020, 2:31 am

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Looking at todays exchange rate on XE, it shows approx that 1 GBP = 1.3 USD ; going back to January , it seems to have been between 1.29 and 1.32 , so would have had to be a very expensive ticket to have a $60 variation based on exchange rate variation
Maybe the OPs card issuer charged some kind of transaction fee too
Old Oct 29, 2020, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Funny one this, I’m usually always on the side of the consumer against the faceless corporations, but in this instance, I don’t really see why either the merchant or the card company should be on the hook for currency fluctuations. When you pay in a foreign currency, you accept the rates as they are, knowing they can change - caveat emptor.
Originally Posted by DominicB
Thus, through no choice of my own, I have a transaction on which I've lost c.$60 ...
So all of this fuss is over $60? You chose to book this way. You win some and you lose some. You could easily have been $60 up. Why would it be acceptable for you to pocket that if you ended up on the winning side , but if you lose then someone must make it up to you? If you're really travelling in the way that you describe as much as you describe, it would be surprising if you haven't yourself been on both sides of this effect yourself at some stage, as many of us have.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 3:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by robiles
Maybe the OPs card issuer charged some kind of transaction fee too
Well yes - that was what I was referring to - for many cards , a 3% commision fee is pretty common and this is purely the bank and not BA's fault
Old Oct 29, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Looking at todays exchange rate on XE, it shows approx that 1 GBP = 1.3 USD ; going back to January , it seems to have been between 1.29 and 1.32 , so would have had to be a very expensive ticket to have a $60 variation based on exchange rate variation
I know little about currency exchange, however there is a buy and a sell rate. Xe shows the average. When you buy a ticket in £, you are effectively buying £. When you refund the ticket, you are selling those same £. Even if you did this immediately, you would still lose on the transaction.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sds1493
I know little about currency exchange, however there is a buy and a sell rate. Xe shows the average. When you buy a ticket in £, you are effectively buying £. When you refund the ticket, you are selling those same £. Even if you did this immediately, you would still lose on the transaction.
Banks don't use a buy and sell rate to exchange money. They use the Interbank rate for that particular currency pair - which fluctuates while the markets are open. Many banks then charge a margin on top; some do not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.