FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   What would you miss? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2027315-what-would-you-miss.html)

macdrew Oct 22, 2020 1:14 am

What would you miss?

In the sad event that BA were to succumb to the current financial crisis and disappear from our skies, what would be the one unique BA thing you would miss?
For me it would have to be that genteel throw back to a bygone age, the hot towel.

krispy84 Oct 22, 2020 1:21 am

I hate to break it to you, but hot towels are available on other airlines.

(Some even manage cold as well)

charlesrhona Oct 22, 2020 1:24 am

This forum!

flybymonkey Oct 22, 2020 1:26 am

As cold as this may sound… NOTHING.

ThatT1Feeling Oct 22, 2020 1:35 am

Really interesting question.

When I first read it, I thought there would be loads of things I would miss - and there certainly would be some things:
  • The light banter with the cabin crew when on a long CW sector or the odd extra G&T that I used to get when travelling down the back on shorthaul
  • I'd miss the interaction with certain key people in the HVC team and on the GGL line
However, a lot of the differentiation has now gone.

I used to appreciate Fast Track Security, but even LGW normal security on school holidays is quick nowadays
I used to appreciate the better legroom in economy on shorthaul BA - it was a real differentiator from the LCCs - but that's gone
I used to love travelling on the old 767s - lots of character - especially in Row 1 CE or the old "fan" CW - all now gone, replaced by sterile Airbus clones
I'd miss the lounge access - but many airports now have pretty good space and seating, certainly better than they used to be, plus I get PP / Dragon Pass with my bank and the outstation BA people aren't really BA people any more so the interaction is now missing.
I wouldn't miss Gold for Life as I only earned it a year or so ago and have never needed to fall back on it, but I'd be well frustrated at all of that cost and effort going to waste!

macdrew Oct 22, 2020 1:36 am

Originally Posted by krispy84 (Post 32764758)
I hate to break it to you, but hot towels are available on other airlines.

(Some even manage cold as well)

Quite - but no one manages to offer them with the dignity and aplomb of a BA crew member.

orbitmic Oct 22, 2020 1:39 am

Originally Posted by macdrew (Post 32764778)
Quite - but no one manages to offer them with the dignity and aplomb of a BA crew member.

Errr.... !!!!!!!!!!!

More seriously, the network from LHR and LCY, the GGL team, the use of my GfL which would suddenly go to waste, the CCR access before flights, the life left in the often excellent memories.

LondonElite Oct 22, 2020 1:42 am

Originally Posted by macdrew (Post 32764778)

Not sure if serious or sarcastic...

1010101 Oct 22, 2020 1:44 am

The Flower Duet. I'm halfway home as soon as i hear that.

wilsnunn Oct 22, 2020 1:53 am

Originally Posted by 1010101 (Post 32764791)
The Flower Duet. I'm halfway home as soon as i hear that.

You prompted me to listen to it again on YouTube, having not flown since February, hearing this again filled me with a great sense of nostalgia. Gosh I miss flying...

macdrew Oct 22, 2020 1:56 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32764789)
Not sure if serious or sarcastic...

Half and half, I must admit some do look as though they are handing out last weeks dirty washing, and some flourish the tongs as though they were offering the finest silk.

A P Yu Oct 22, 2020 1:58 am

Warm flat champagne

Betteronacamel Oct 22, 2020 1:59 am

64A or 64K.....oh dear :(

That ice cold G and T on leaving Riyadh or Jeddah :)

CCR at T5 and JFK - and the ability to use Avios to get into F.

But yes, a lot of the 'soft touches' that made BA so special, with a special mention for those BA staff at outstations and the more senior cabin crew, have of course now disappeared. Willie and Alex really hollowed out the airline from a passenger perspective in many ways. Before anyone shouts ''Club Suites...'', my answer is that they should have done that at least 5 years ago.

Globaliser Oct 22, 2020 2:11 am

Originally Posted by macdrew (Post 32764750)
In the sad event that BA were to succumb to the current financial crisis and disappear from our skies, what would be the one unique BA thing you would miss?

The truly great BA people: those who possess that wonderful mixture of experience, enthusiasm, people-savvy and gentle humour that can make a bad flight easily bearable and a good flight a memorable joy, both in good times and bad times for the company as a whole.

Genius1 Oct 22, 2020 2:14 am

My Avios.