Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FNC [today’s flight returned to LHR]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
We were probably the last to get bags and started to join a long queue for testing but we were pulled to the top of the queue like celebrities due to MasterH. He is 6 months old and apparently there is priority for under 2’s by law.

5 mins later we are in the car on route to hotel.
Old May 19, 2021, 3:10 pm

Not sure if it's okay to revive this thread [if not, mods please close], but I'm on an FNC service in the next week. Is there an obvious way to check the risk of a diversion? Or does it really come down to the subtleties of the wind when we're on approach?
Old May 20, 2021, 4:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Looking at the weather really is the main way to try and make an semi-educated guess.
VSLover and cauchy like this.
Old May 20, 2021, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC
A bit off topic but does anyone know what the 7 day case rate per 100,000 is for Madeira?

I’ve calculated it manually but it’s coming out as over 50 - which seems too high for it to make the green list. Could it become amber soon or have I messed up my calculations?

EDIT: Sorry I’ve found a better thread to ask this in, so ignore.

Last edited by BAeuro; May 20, 2021 at 9:17 am
Old May 20, 2021, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by cauchy
Not sure if it's okay to revive this thread [if not, mods please close], but I'm on an FNC service in the next week. Is there an obvious way to check the risk of a diversion? Or does it really come down to the subtleties of the wind when we're on approach?
The approach has strict wind limits. Out of limits and air traffic control won’t allow an approach to be made. The most limiting wind direction is a North Westerly to Northerly wind of 15kts (around 17mph), so that would be a big clue.

Of course there are plenty of times when the wind is within limits but approaches don’t go to plan, mainly due to turbulence created by the terrain. Again this is most likely with a NW-N wind but can occur even with no wind.
cauchy likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 2:56 pm

I’ve just read that Madeira is expected to be on Jersey’s ‘Amber List’ when it is published next week. I know the numbers have been rising a bit over the last few weeks so it’s something to bear in mind if you’re considering going.

https://www.channel103.com/news/jers...ist-published/

“Currently, Madeira and Tenerife are anticipated to be graded amber.”
Old May 21, 2021, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by BAeuro
I’ve just read that Madeira is expected to be on Jersey’s ‘Amber List’ when it is published next week. I know the numbers have been rising a bit over the last few weeks so it’s something to bear in mind if you’re considering going.

https://www.channel103.com/news/jers...ist-published/

“Currently, Madeira and Tenerife are anticipated to be graded amber.”
If it goes horribly wrong I'll just have to go to Porto for 10 days afterwards...
BAeuro likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 9:29 am

A great day for passengers flying to Madeira! BA2780 taxied to the runway, returned to stand, departed LHR 3 hours late, got to FNC and had to divert to LIS.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: GGLfL
A great day for passengers flying to Madeira! BA2780 taxied to the runway, returned to stand, departed LHR 3 hours late, got to FNC and had to divert to LIS.
Is this weather-related? We're on the same flight tomorrow and hope not not to be delayed/diverted. I wonder this affects the arrival process, as I believe the PCR test exemption for vaccinated passengers only applies to Madeira and only if arriving on a direct flight from the UK.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Yes the weather at the airport is pretty bad judging by the thick cloud and rain over there at the moment.

As I understand it, in case of diversions, its either a temporary quick stop at Porto Santo and they try again within the crew's hours, or return to the UK via Lisbon of Faro just to pick up fuel.
Sophoclefr likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by MrSimonR
Is this weather-related? We're on the same flight tomorrow and hope not not to be delayed/diverted. I wonder this affects the arrival process, as I believe the PCR test exemption for vaccinated passengers only applies to Madeira and only if arriving on a direct flight from the UK.
Yes weather, an unseasonal front / squals have set in which must have been annoying for the PAX onboard as things were fine this morning, especially around the time 2780 should have arrived. Departing 3 hours late and missing the weather must be sickening. Flights are approaching / holding at the moment so hopefully it will pass.
Re testing, I seem to recall that diverted passengers were isolated to ensure they complied with health regulations.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 10:18 am

I believe the current plan is to fly to Lisbon, pick up fuel, and head back to FNC. I’m guessing Porto Santo wasn’t accepting flights as a fuel diversion there would have been more logical. Also, the crew will surely time out soon, which could mean overnighting in LIS.

Looking at the webcams today, Madeira is looking rather grim. I hope the weather picks up for my trip in Sept!
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:08 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I suspect that they will refuel and return to LHR until tomorrow. What a day for the pax and the crew.

I notice that most flights from the same time are diverted to POX with EZE heading back to OPO or LIS. I suppose that FAO is heaving with regular traffic,
Old Aug 7, 2021, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I suspect that they will refuel and return to LHR until tomorrow. What a day for the pax and the crew.

I notice that most flights from the same time are diverted to POX with EZE heading back to OPO or LIS. I suppose that FAO is heaving with regular traffic,
Yes, the plan is now to go back to LHR. A whole 12 hours onboard and they’ve got nowhere. It’s also disappointing if you were only going for a short break and have lost a whole day.

Does anyone know why BA didn’t try PXO? They were the first diverted aircraft so space can’t have been a problem. I’ve noticed since FNC came to LHR they’ve preferred returning to LHR over a diverting to PXO.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 1:48 pm

Yes, the plan is now to go back to LHR. A whole 12 hours onboard and they’ve got nowhere. It’s also disappointing if you were only going for a short break and have lost a whole day.

Does anyone know why BA didn’t try PXO? They were the first diverted aircraft so space can’t have been a problem. I’ve noticed since FNC came to LHR they’ve preferred returning to LHR over a diverting to PXO.
PXO could also have been affected with similar WX conditions?

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Aug 7, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.