Wiki Posts
Search

FNC [today’s flight returned to LHR]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2020, 2:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Confus
On departure, airlines must pass passport information to relevant UK agencies. This was introduced a few years ago. Whether those agencies then do anything with it is irrelevant, the fact is they have it.
Similarly, and with respect, what ‘makes more sense’ is also completely irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that there are clearly defined procedures for this situation, and these involve in every case pushing passengers through the international channel. UKBF policy states that exceptions can only be authorised by a senior UKBF manager, and any airline taking what you may think is a ‘common sense approach’ will find themselves in serious trouble.
Thank you, I didnt know that - though it does sound like the 'exits' aren't stored given the data I have seen.

I wonder whether you have a link to the UKBF policy that you are quoting, albeit offtopic
Old Oct 21, 2020, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
On a side note do you think I'm allowed BA/EU compensation as the airport was not closed and other flights landed (so it was BA decision to turn back to London) ?
Old Oct 21, 2020, 3:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Sophoclefr
On a side note do you think I'm allowed BA/EU compensation as the airport was not closed and other flights landed (so it was BA decision to turn back to London) ?
As far as I can tell, no aircraft successfully landed at FNC around the time the BA service was due, a number were diverted, one aircraft did a touch-and-go (details upthread). The weather was typical for FNC diversions, which are a feature of that airport. My judgement is that it would be a waste of time pursuing this. Generally speaking anything like this is unlikely to succeed since it's clearly an undesireable outcome for BA for all sorts of reasons. You are entitled to Right to Care expenses however.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Not a chance. As noted upthread, wind conditions at FNC can change on a heartbeat and yours was not the only flight affected.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As far as I can tell, no aircraft successfully landed at FNC around the time the BA service was due, a number were diverted, one aircraft did a touch-and-go (details upthread). The weather was typical for FNC diversions, which are a feature of that airport. My judgement is that it would be a waste of time pursuing this. Generally speaking anything like this is unlikely to succeed since it's clearly an undesireable outcome for BA for all sorts of reasons. You are entitled to Right to Care expenses however.
ok so I won't
they paid a suite (as there was not 2 comnecitimg rooms) at the sofitel
Not how we planned to start our holidays but fair if airport was rally closed
Old Oct 23, 2020, 12:15 am

I agree completely with C-W-S. FNC is a destination with a high proportion of failed EU261 claims.
Also please bear in mind the return from FNC can be just as difficult at this time of year, with BA on the hook for the duty of care costs as well.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 5:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SonTech
At this time you would be surprised. Last one I loaded to FNC most were younger with families......
I have booked for FNC for next April as it is £203 J rtn in the current sale. I shall report back
Old Oct 23, 2020, 3:25 pm

some great footage from FNC on the 18th
Dave_C, MarcD, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
Makes me feeling better the pilot decided to go back to London and we lost one day of holidays...
Old Oct 24, 2020, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum
We're flying out there 8th Nov and back on the 14th. Out in Club but back in ET as fare was sky high. Hoping for a POUG offer but am assuming it's quite a busy cabin as currently showing as £1040 for 2 to upgrade on the return right now!! Had our 3rd flight time change come through this week so hoping they stick and there's no further cancellations. Any advice for a first time visitor to Madeira is welcome! We have booked no accommodation etc. yet just in case things shuffle around. Stay safe all!
Old Oct 24, 2020, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Not cheap (and no points on any program) but Reid's Palace is amazing for the rooms, views, service and very children friendly,
jmd and IslingtonFlyer like this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
If you want somewhere inland - spectacular views in between the clouds, good Madeiran food and wine - I recommend Eira do Serrado: https://www.eiradoserrado.com/index.html . We booked a BA holiday there in February, and the price was so good our expectations were low. They were hugely exceeded
IslingtonFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:27 am
Original Poster

No wind on the way back today!

Out of subject but I was shocked that not one single border officer at Heathrow is wearing a mask when it’s mandatory in the airport (and in any hotel, restaurant, shop or anywhere) ???
rapidex likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 12:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Out of subject but I was shocked that not one single border officer at Heathrow is wearing a mask when it’s mandatory in the airport (and in any hotel, restaurant, shop or anywhere) ???
They are often dealing with people who don't speak English, and the masks were making accurate dialogue almost impossible. There is provision in the legislation for this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Stayed at Reid's when I was in my late 20's and loved it. Location and service were superb. We were upgraded to a wonderful suite which required climbing a few steps, perhaps because we were the only ones who looked like they could manage the ascent. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.