Wiki Posts
Search

Appalling check-in service at FAO

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2020, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, M&M
Appalling check-in service at FAO

The morning of our departure from FAO to LHR, we received emails from BA inviting us to upgrade to CE at check-in.
When we asked at the check-in the grim faced assistant snarled "no upgrades",.
We showed the BA email, she called over a colleague whom she started to berate in Portuguese, jabbing a finger at the computer, the colleague shrugged her shoulders and our charming assistant once again snarled what seemed to be the extent of her English, "no upgrades"
After having our boarding cards thrust at us, I mentioned that we had booked Special Assistance wheelchair. We had to show her the WCHS endorsement on the boarding pass she had just given us.
With bad grace she pointed to a seating area behind the check in muttered "wait there" and left us to negotiate and remove the retractable barriers.
On boarding the aircraft, it was quite a surprise to find that of the 28 CE seats only 6 were taken.
I appreciate that the ground staff at FAO are not BA employees, they are acting for and on behalf of BA and would seem in dire need of some retraining in customer service.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Mallorca is pretty dire as well. EasyJet however are charming.

I complained to BA given it took over an hour to check in for a Club Europe flight. Got me precisely nowhere!
Silver Fox and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
you were offered a POUG, this is online only. Airport upgrades AUPs are different and have a different criteria
gw76 and PGberkshire like this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
It's true that the BA employees in FAO are outsourced and not BA employees.
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
Mallorca is pretty dire as well. EasyJet however are charming.

I complained to BA given it took over an hour to check in for a Club Europe flight. Got me precisely nowhere!
EasyJet does not only fly to London from PMI; they have flights to various destinations in the UK, plus many European destinations so PMI is a focus city for them so it makes sense to hire their own employees and take care of the airport experience for their own flights. For BA PMI is a simple outstation.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, M&M
Originally Posted by aidy
you were offered a POUG, this is online only. Airport upgrades AUPs are different and have a different criteria
Message reads :-
"Thank you for flying with British Airways. We may have space on your flight to purchase a cabin upgrade today. If interested, please contact us a check-in."

How does that fit into your alphabetical system? Perhaps it is WADFM (We are desperate for money)
ajamieson, NoY, thijsseh and 6 others like this.

Last edited by macdrew; Oct 16, 2020 at 11:52 am
Old Oct 16, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List & GfL, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
I fly BA to Faro (and back) roughly once a month and, but for a slight interruption earlier this year when all flights were cancelled, have done so for about 15 years. I have never had any problems with the ground staff there.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by e8steve
I fly BA to Faro (and back) roughly once a month and, but for a slight interruption earlier this year when all flights were cancelled, have done so for about 15 years. I have never had any problems with the ground staff there.
Jealous
NoY, the810 and smartytravel like this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager
Originally Posted by macdrew
Message reads :-
"Thank you for flying with British Airways. We may have space on your flight to purchase a cabin upgrade today. If interested, please contact us a check-in."
They didn’t have space. I don’t get what was so appalling about that? That she said “no upgrades” instead of “I’m sorry sir, we don’t have any upgrades available”?

The message online says “may”, it does not say for sure whether there is space or not.

I would be disappointed, but not appalled.
HIDDY and Steve in Olympia like this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 4:44 pm

Believe OP was appalled at her behaviour, especially when he passed through the CE cabin, only 6 out of 28 seats were occupied. So surely upgrade must have been available - perhaps this dovetails into OP’s claim that she needed training on how to process them at checkin.
NoY, Silver Fox, mnhusker and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
From my experience at outstations upgrades are handled by the ticketing desk, not the check-in agents. Check-in agents often have no idea as they're coming from a large pool of employees trained to check pax in, not necessarily aware of BA's edge cases.

Or maybe FAO agent understood you were asking for a free upgrade?
Old Oct 16, 2020, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by megaloman
Or maybe FAO agent understood you were asking for a free upgrade?
Wouldn't think so. As OP said the agent was showed the "ask for paid upgrade at checkin" email.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LondonCapeTownAnyday

I would be disappointed, but not appalled.
My wife can sometimes make a mountain out of a molehill over an ''awful'' experience I actually found to be quite acceptable.
'andad likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 10:25 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
It's true that the BA employees in FAO are outsourced and not BA employees.

EasyJet does not only fly to London from PMI; they have flights to various destinations in the UK, plus many European destinations so PMI is a focus city for them so it makes sense to hire their own employees and take care of the airport experience for their own flights. For BA PMI is a simple outstation.

It always makes me smile when Ba is defended only this way. If you outsource you still set and manage the service level.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Believe OP was appalled at her behaviour, especially when he passed through the CE cabin, only 6 out of 28 seats were occupied. So surely upgrade must have been available - perhaps this dovetails into OP’s claim that she needed training on how to process them at checkin.
Sounds like FAO isn't doing covid boarding either and is another training opportunity of the ground handler.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List & GfL, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
FAO staff have been following boarding procedures when I have flown recently. Though they board special assistance passengers first, which I understood OP’s group to have received so should have boarded before others. Maybe that’s why the CE cabin was still fairly empty?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.