Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Got an E-mail: You have 12 months to prevent your 2,639 Avios from expiring

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
To me, the value is little. If I can't purchase Avios upgrades due to not travelling anywhere, I might as well get something I'm going to buy anyway. Based on current rates i could buy around 615 bottles of Laithwaite's wine, which would pickle my liver, but you get the idea. The points to pounds rate means nothing, if I can get > 600 bottles of wine on the back of travel that I have done for work. What's not to like
Fair enough, that was actually an offer to buy your points
Old Oct 15, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Fair enough, that was actually an offer to buy your points
By which of course you mean it wasn't that at all, since even making such an offer is a violation of the BAEC T&Cs, with them having the option of closing your account, including your Avios.

So you have clearly mistyped "wasn't"
Old Oct 15, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
By which of course you mean it wasn't that at all, since even making such an offer is a violation of the BAEC T&Cs, with them having the option of closing your account, including your Avios.

So you have clearly mistyped "wasn't"
oh yes, typo
James91 and BertieBadger like this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

My 2600 Avios points are expiring - what should I do?

I've got 9 months until these expire. I only take 2 trips a year, both transatlantic and it can be done by any major carrier; I always buy the cheapest that has decent hours for me.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
This was discussed in this thread earlier

Keeping my Avios from expiring

Also plenty of info in the master Avios wiki

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2021 edition

Your Avios stay with you as long as your account remains active so make sure to collect, spend, purchase or share some Avios at least once every 36 months. This can be done either by flying, staying at a partner hotel, or even by buying a low value item from an online merchant linked to Avios.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 4:56 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
You got quite a few responses when you were 12 months out in october

Old Feb 1, 2021, 5:00 pm

And the 2021 reply:

Open a Nectar account, transfer them over, and buy some chocolates (or treat of your choice) in Sainsburys.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Unless you can do it for very little cost I wouldn't worry about it.
RB211 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 6:38 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by swampwiz
I've got 9 months until these expire. I only take 2 trips a year, both transatlantic and it can be done by any major carrier; I always buy the cheapest that has decent hours for me.
In answer to “what should I do”?

Donate them to a worthy charity.
RB211 and momoflyingguy like this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 6:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
Two thousand six hundred?? is that correct?

I wouldn’t worry at all. You were once able to get your family Percy pigs on board with that, instead you can opt for the new sandwiches. Or you could go for £20 part pay towards a flight. In the grand scheme of life, this really isn’t a worry.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alex67500
You got quite a few responses when you were 12 months out in october

I guess it isn't important to me, LOL.

What would be the hypothetical value of X points? For example, if a transatlantic trip (at least the ones I take do) costs $600, and it costs 20K points, then 2K would theoretically be equivalent to $60, etc.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 1:01 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by swampwiz
I guess it isn't important to me, LOL.

What would be the hypothetical value of X points? For example, if a transatlantic trip (at least the ones I take do) costs $600, and it costs 20K points, then 2K would theoretically be equivalent to $60, etc.
General consensus seems to be to aim for a penny an Avios, so you should be looking for £26 of value out of your 2600 Avios.

With the new Nectar tie-up, 2600 Avios converts to 4160 Nectar points which have an actual cash value of £20.80 if spent at Sainsbury's, Argos, eBay, so 0.8p per Avios. Not brilliant but the nearest thing to exchanging for cash.

Part pay won't be much better but again is a real cash saving off your ticket price.

​Rob over at HFP has done some articles on this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 1:47 am

while back i spent 2 quid in sainsburys or asda - or some different shop through the ba high lifethingy and got 1 avios or so, extending life for another 3 years...thinking twice i think this was actually just after a year with no activity meaning i lost the RFS.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 7:35 am

Out of curiosity, what is the title/subject of the email that people receive with this notification? I often just delete emails without reading, so wondered if the subject of the email would state this warning clearly.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 10:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by xooz
Out of curiosity, what is the title/subject of the email that people receive with this notification? I often just delete emails without reading, so wondered if the subject of the email would state this warning clearly.
This is going back a couple of years but at that point the subject was "<Name>, don't miss out on your Avios balance".

Inside it said:

Your Avios are due to expire in <X> months

Dear <Name>,

Be sure not to lose your Avios. If there continues to be no activity for the next <X> months, unfortunately they'll expire - but it doesn't take much to keep them active. Have a look below to see some of the easy things you can do. We have plenty of partners that can help you collect or spend your Avios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.