Athens cancellations

Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / VS Silver
Athens cancellations

I was due to travel to Athens on the BA0640 tomorrow but have just been notified its been cancelled.

This means all three BA flights tomorrow are cancelled. Of course understand and expect disruption in this period, but am curious if anyone can offer insight into why all flights to a destination would be cancelled and why BA would not send out at least one flight?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:54 am

Strike action

https://news.gtp.gr/2020/10/14/strik...eece-thursday/

Will have an impact over next few days
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Nice to have something non covid related for a change.....
Although not for those with cancelled flights to Greece
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
Although not for those with cancelled flights to Greece
ha - I have a flight Fri -Sun and have been hoping for something like this as I am sick of FTVs! Fingers crossed one of mine is cancelled!

aks120
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: One World Emerald
I have a flight this Sat and for the past few days have been trying to change to Friday but by the time I see the available flights and try to action the change the flights suddenly disappear. It happened why I was on the phone with CS rep as well and he was as puzzled as me. He had no idea what the reason is and simply told me flights are sold out... which sounded odd having 4 flights and one of which is operated by 787. Already had my return cancelled and rebooked on Tue and slightly uneasy leaving at all.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: TK Elite (*G), BA Gold (OWE)
I was booked on BA0634 tomorrow also, and have gotten the cancellation email and rebooked onto a flight on Friday. Reading that article posted above, it mentions the likelihood of more strike action happening on Sunday and Monday. I'm booked to return to LHR on Sunday, on the BA0627 departing at 13:35. The article states that "EEEKE will hold 5-hour work stoppages on Sunday from 1.30pm – 6.30pm" and "In addition, the Air Traffic Safety Engineers (ENIMAEK) will hold a 48-hour strike on October 18-19." I don't know what any of these groups mean, but for any of you with more experience with Greece (it sounds like these strikes happen relatively frequently), do you think that it sounds likely that the Sunday flight would be cancelled as well. I need to be back in Wales on Monday morning at the latest, so if it's unlikely I'll be able to get home on Sunday, I'd just cancel my whole trip and rebook for a future date.

Thanks in advance for any experiences that people might have!
Old Oct 14, 2020, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / VS Silver
Thanks sammyg901 suddenly makes sense!

+ if you're on the 636 on Friday RudderDucky be sure to say hi!
Old Oct 14, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Strike action

https://news.gtp.gr/2020/10/14/strik...eece-thursday/

Will have an impact over next few days
Not exactly what the devastated tourism industry needs just as the season comes to a close.

We were in Athens this weekend and it was quiet as it was
Old Oct 14, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: TK Elite (*G), BA Gold (OWE)
Originally Posted by Toomanyavios
+ if you're on the 636 on Friday RudderDucky be sure to say hi!
I was put on the BA0636, and was so keen to spend the weekend in Athens, but I think with the uncertainty about further strike on Sunday, I'll play it safe and go to Athens a few weeks later instead. I hope the travel corridor with Greece will still be valid then! Enjoy Athens Toomanyavios
Old Oct 15, 2020, 11:49 am

Can anyone check official reason for cancellation BA633 on 13 Oct 2020?
Old Oct 15, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Garimi
Can anyone check official reason for cancellation BA633 on 13 Oct 2020?
Unions. Doing their best to bring the country to its knees. Sound familiar?
Old Oct 15, 2020, 12:48 pm

13 Oct 2020 not today...I traveled to Athens.without problems...it was just some protest in city centre at 18.00
Old Oct 15, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Will100
Unions. Doing their best to bring the country to its knees. Sound familiar?
Just what you do when your biggest export (tourism) is on its knees, and you are one of the few places countries like the UK can fly to with no quarantine.

Crazy times!
Old Oct 15, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAEC
If anyone looking to reschedule still seems to be some availability on Greek Island routes; Santorini in particular.

Not sure if anyone can report from recent visits; but islands seem very hot on following rules from summer trip. Keen to squeeze in one last trip before total lockdown; though already getting the why are you travelling rumblings..!
Old Oct 16, 2020, 12:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by londonba2014
If anyone looking to reschedule still seems to be some availability on Greek Island routes; Santorini in particular.

Not sure if anyone can report from recent visits; but islands seem very hot on following rules from summer trip. Keen to squeeze in one last trip before total lockdown; though already getting the why are you travelling rumblings..!
I'm on Santorini now. If you've wanted to see Santorini without the crowds then this is the year to do it, but there are so few people that a lot of the restaurants and bars have already started closing for the winter.
People do seem to be following the rules about wearing face masks in shops and on buses etc. and there's no problems with maintaining social distancing. Most restaurants have bottles of hand sanitizer available.
You will want to be one of the first people off the plane though, so try and get a seat as close to either the front or back doors as possible. There was a single immigration agent processing our flight and with the additional checks of PLFs it was taking a couple of minutes per person. I was near the front of the queue and didn't see anyone being sent for a covid test but there was someone waiting to do them.
londonba2014 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.