Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Athens cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Just about to push back , around 35 minutes late.
Protocol seems to be a second QR code check at gate (in addition to check in which you have to do in person to facilitate this). But no pre-warning , no extra time allowed and a busy A321 means the staff had no chance to get through it.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by albpenny
Hi all, due to fly back to LHR from RHO (625) tomorrow and just received a text saying our flight is 24hrs delayed. Not ideal. Will BA pay for another night’s accommodation for us? I think our hotel is fully booked so we would have to move (not great!!). Thanks!
Correct, in the event of a delay to a flight overnight, under EU261 BA owes you “hotel accommodationand transport to and from the airport and your accommodation”

I was booked on this flight also but changed to Santorini when it came off the quarantine list so had a lucky escape; hopefully they get you away at the new time without issues!
Old Oct 17, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Correct, in the event of a delay to a flight overnight, under EU261 BA owes you “hotel accommodationand transport to and from the airport and your accommodation”

I was booked on this flight also but changed to Santorini when it came off the quarantine list so had a lucky escape; hopefully they get you away at the new time without issues!
haha thanks! I knew we would be able to get something from BA but thanks for confirming. Our new hotel is half the price of the current one so while BA won’t mind reimbursing it, moving for one night with two under two isn’t my idea of fun. 😬 saying that, Rhodes is amazing. Santorini also on my list but wasn’t when we booked the flights
Old Oct 18, 2020, 3:36 am

Today's JTR flight is moved to tomorrow afternoon and tomorrow afternoon's flight is also pushed back to later in the day.

BA sent the usual boilerplate "£200 per night for two people plus £50 for taxis" email which obviously isn't 100% appropriate in the context of Santorini in the summer the same way it would be for e.g. Sofia - anyone have a feel for how much flexibility there is on this or are you expected to downgrade yourself to a 3 star hotel if that is all that is available for that price range?
Old Oct 18, 2020, 4:43 am

BA sent the usual boilerplate "£200 per night for two people plus £50 for taxis" email which obviously isn't 100% appropriate in the context of Santorini in the summer the same way it would be for e.g. Sofia - anyone have a feel for how much flexibility there is on this or are you expected to downgrade yourself to a 3 star hotel if that is all that is available for that price range?
There is no hard-and-fast answer as it depends on interpretation of ‘reasonable’. There are very few places where £200 won’t get you a decent hotel, so you’d have to have a good reason - but if you can demonstrate what that is, they will pay, there is some flexibility. A typical reason would be a paucity of hotel rooms pushing prices up (unlikely in covid but not impossible - you can take screenshots to help here). More likely in your case is if you’re on a BA Holidays package, in which case it would likely be considered reasonable to stay in the same hotel. But you can’t push the boat out and choose a £1000 suite just because BA is paying.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 4:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The way to see this is that at worst BA would be contributing £200 a night for your accommodation. I think you probably meant downgrading to a 4 star hotel, since I can see quite a few in the sub £200 range, and one or two sub £100. So I think you have a choice of either staying put, with BA paying at least £200 plus food for the stay, perhaps insurance would help too, perhaps BA will pay the full bill. Alternatively, if this isn' what you want to do then there is no shortage of reasonable priced accommodation. But BA have paid more than £200 a night, I recall one night during Wimbledon - seems a long time ago now - when bad weather meant that even the Bath Road hotels were well above £200 - BA did pay up.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Confus
There is no hard-and-fast answer as it depends on interpretation of ‘reasonable’. There are very few places where £200 won’t get you a decent hotel, so you’d have to have a good reason - but if you can demonstrate what that is, they will pay, there is some flexibility. A typical reason would be a paucity of hotel rooms pushing prices up (unlikely in covid but not impossible - you can take screenshots to help here). More likely in your case is if you’re on a BA Holidays package, in which case it would likely be considered reasonable to stay in the same hotel. But you can’t push the boat out and choose a £1000 suite just because BA is paying.
I wouldn’t assume just because COVID is ongoing there is a glut of hotel rooms in Santorini, most hotels that have decided to stay open were already unexpectedly close to capacity since UK quarantine was withdrawn and with all the cancellations / delays today it seems most of the decent hotels on the island are fully booked tonight. I literally just got kicked out of said suite earlier today and had my late checkout withdrawn because someone booked it this morning and the hotel I was staying in is now completely sold out tonight!
Old Oct 18, 2020, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The way to see this is that at worst BA would be contributing £200 a night for your accommodation. I think you probably meant downgrading to a 4 star hotel, since I can see quite a few in the sub £200 range, and one or two sub £100. So I think you have a choice of either staying put, with BA paying at least £200 plus food for the stay, perhaps insurance would help too, perhaps BA will pay the full bill. Alternatively, if this isn' what you want to do then there is no shortage of reasonable priced accommodation. But BA have paid more than £200 a night, I recall one night during Wimbledon - seems a long time ago now - when bad weather meant that even the Bath Road hotels were well above £200 - BA did pay up.
Makes sense, thank you!
Old Oct 18, 2020, 6:41 am

I had to stayed IN Athens overnight on 13 Oct becouse BA canceletion...
stayed at Hilton Athens 187 Euro , BA is happy to pay this bill...and dinner as well Metro from/to airport...

Over thing they refusing to pay EU261 saying it was due coronavirus canceletion then Greece is on travel corridor list and non essential travel is permitted....flight cancelled 6 days in advance....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.