Bat mitzvah-- on board?

Old Oct 12, 20, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Matmid Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Bat mitzvah-- on board?

Flying next week with daughter on BA (in club) in lieu of a party to New York.

​​​​​​I'm looking for guidance and advice on getting the captain to announce a mazeltov? Or other ideas? Perhaps a gift from ba on board?

(Someone advised me to bring a cake discreetly am have the FA serve it. Not it that would fly in covid-19 era travel, never mind the logistics of hiding a cake in my hand luggage...)

Suggestions much appreciated!
the phoenix likes this.
Old Oct 12, 20, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by tapuach View Post

​​​​​​I'm looking for guidance and advice on getting the captain to announce a mazeltov? Or other ideas? Perhaps a gift from ba on board?

(Someone advised me to bring a cake discreetly am have the FA serve it. Not it that would fly in covid-19 era travel, never mind the logistics of hiding a cake in my hand luggage...)

I donít really follow what you mean by Ďin lieu of a party.í So the trip to NY replaces a party you canít have? Donít mean to drag this to OMNI but NY doesnít seem that much safer at the moment.

Anyway, the best option is to ask the cabin crew if they would inform the captain. No harm in asking and they might quite like to do it to uplift the mood. The worst that can happen is they say no or forget. As far as catering goes, donít get your hopes up. Maybe bring your own from Plane Food.
tapuach and SxMan like this.
Old Oct 12, 20, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Unlike say easyJet, I don't think flight crew would announce passengers' birthdays, let alone b'not mitzvah. I think the cake idea is the best one, just get a small one into an exquisite box, and sneek it to the senior crew member to serve it an appropriate point. You may need to give some gentle guidance about this, I suspect b'not mitzvah aren't necessarily well understood by all crew. I can't see the problem with bringing a cake with you, it's not restricted by security controls unless it's very gooey.

And best wishes to your daughter for the future ahead of her.
Mwenenzi, TBD, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 20, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'd echo the cake idea. I think another one that may fly is you could buy a nice "happy bat mitsvah" card and ask if the crew (maybe even captain, etc) might accept to sign it. I suspect that this would have a greater chance of success than the public announcement (i have heard those once in a while on BA but not frequently). That would then be delivered to your daughter with the cake or at the end of the flight.

And Mazel tov to her indeed, hope you'll manage to have a nice celebration despite the circumstances.
Old Oct 12, 20, 12:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I'd echo the cake idea. I think another one that may fly is you could buy a nice "happy bat mitsvah" card and ask if the crew (maybe even captain, etc) might accept to sign it. I suspect that this would have a greater chance of success than the public announcement (i have heard those once in a while on BA but not frequently). That would then be delivered to your daughter with the cake or at the end of the flight.

And Mazel tov to her indeed, hope you'll manage to have a nice celebration despite the circumstances.
Or as a slight nuance, make sure she has a printed boarding pass and find out whether the captain will sign that in lieu of a card. In years to come it may evoke more specific memories.
Old Oct 12, 20, 1:03 pm

Do BA still have those 'for us to you' cards? there were some loaded onboard last year.
SxMan likes this.
Old Oct 12, 20, 1:14 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
Do BA still have those 'for us to you' cards? there were some loaded onboard last year.
I think so- the wonderful crew presented me with one last year and a few mini bottles of Castelnau when I was celebrating my 40th birthday.
Keystone and tapuach like this.
Old Oct 12, 20, 1:19 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
They do in principle, but frankly, I'd never recommend depending on that, plus it is not something that we should request, just something that the crew decide to use at their own discretion whenever they wish. If you want the crew to sign something, then organise and provide the supporting material yourself.
Jed, flygirl68 and u01sss3 like this.
Old Oct 12, 20, 2:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Since the resident food pedant is online, here is a 150 dollar solution from Paris. I don't know if the product is kosher, but the box would have a lasting value as a work of art.

https://daubinetxhopare.com/products...36003287564455
VSLover, orbitmic, tapuach and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 20, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Since the resident food pedant is online, here is a 150 dollar solution from Paris. I don't know if the product is kosher, but the box would have a lasting value as a work of art.

https://daubinetxhopare.com/products...36003287564455
Looks striking and very nice! Though indeed, these days this approaches the fare component of quite a few plane tickets!
Old Oct 12, 20, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by tapuach View Post

Mazel on the upcoming Bat Mitzvah.

It wouldn't be difficult for the crew to make an announcement, even if just to CW, to wish your daughter well on becoming a woman - you may even manage to persuade one of the flightcrew to do it when on break.

In any event, what a novel idea in place of a party, and arguably something more memorable!

M
Old Oct 12, 20, 6:07 pm

I am in NY.Not quite sure what you plan on doing once you get here. Options are very limited. Depending on when you come, there may also be a two week quarantine period!
Old Oct 12, 20, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Well well well....I had several Jewish chums in Glasgow when I was young so knew all about bar mitzvah. I'm ashamed to admit I never knew there was a female equivalent until now. Can't offer any advice but hope the crew can sort something out for your daughter.
Cris L likes this.
Old Oct 12, 20, 9:25 pm

How about asking BA to order you some Nova Lox f with Bagels, Cream Cheese, NY Cheesecake, Boureakas, Dolmas, Spanikopita and a Bottle of Wine or Champagne from your Daughter's Birth Year.

I will say Mazal Tov on behalf of your Daughter. You can go to Central Synagogue in Manhattan!!

Perhaps this calls for a trip to Peter Lugar's Steakhouse, Hells Kitchen, Tribeca, 3rd St. Deli, Caravell's Ice Cream etc.

I am off to Vegas tomorrow for 11 nights 12.5 days(:
Old Oct 13, 20, 12:15 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Congratulations on the Bat Mitzvah.

I am not sure about how BA would accommodate the situation, however, with the catering reduction, I would not expect the Do&Co facility to prepare a cake upon request, etc...
Although I find BA crew very helpful in these kinds of situations and if you manage to bring a cake in good shape to the aircraft ( or a small piece of cake bought from an airport vendor ), as a goodwill gesture, the crew would be able to serve you that.

By the way, no one has mentioned it but if you're going to stay in NY state, there is a quarantine for 14 days which applies for passengers arriving from several countries including the United Kingdom.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: