FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Alex Cruz stepping down from BA [Sean Doyle from EI new CEO] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2026710-alex-cruz-stepping-down-ba-sean-doyle-ei-new-ceo.html)

djsflynn Oct 12, 2020 12:09 am

Alex Cruz stepping down from BA [Sean Doyle from EI new CEO]

This announcement just in from IAG:

International Airlines Group (IAG) is today announcing changes to its senior management team with immediate effect.
  • Alex Cruz, British Airways chairman and chief executive, is to step down as chief executive and remain the airline’s non-executive chairman.
  • Sean Doyle, Aer Lingus chairman and chief executive, will become the new chief executive of British Airways and take over as chairman after a transition period.
  • Fernando Candela, LEVEL chief executive, is joining the Group’s management committee in a new role of chief transformation officer.
  • At Aer Lingus, Donal Moriarty, currently the airline’s chief corporate affairs officer, will become interim chief executive. A permanent appointment will be announced in due course.

So, as you can see, Sean Doyle moves straight into the CEO's corner office at Waterside and will also take over as BA chair.

Announcing the changes, IAG chief executive, Luis Gallego, said: “IAG has proved itself to be one of the world’s leading airline groups with a portfolio of successful companies. We’re navigating the worst crisis faced in our industry and I’m confident these internal promotions will ensure IAG is well placed to emerge in a strong position."

"I want to thank Alex for all that he has done at British Airways. He worked tirelessly to modernise the airline in the years leading up to the celebration of its 100th anniversary. Since then, he has led the airline through a particularly demanding period and has secured restructuring agreements with the vast majority of employees.

orbitmic Oct 12, 2020 12:12 am

Wow! Was that expected?

tom139 Oct 12, 2020 12:12 am

Didn’t see Alex Cruz’s departure coming!

NWIFlyer Oct 12, 2020 12:20 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 32740628)
    Wow! Was that expected?

“With immediate effect”, added to the fact that there’s no replacement lined up at EI, would suggest this certainly hasn’t been long in the planning.

secretplantofightinflation Oct 12, 2020 12:28 am

New management obviously required to rebuild employer-employee relations

Safc0615 Oct 12, 2020 12:39 am

No real shock I guess, not popular amongst employees and has had a lot of high profile incidents happen under his tenure.

Can’t be held responsible for COVID of course but does have a lot to answer for in terms of handling of certain aspects.

good luck to Sean and the new team that come in.

Betteronacamel Oct 12, 2020 12:40 am

Good Morning Britain reporting this now. A lot of criticism regarding the way BA handled the C-19 redundancies etc under AC. Was all that down to AC or is he taking the flak for Willie Walsh?

Hopefully something of a 're-set' coming for all concerned, but one hell of a tough gig for anyone coming in.

Interested to see what the reaction here will be.

13901 Oct 12, 2020 12:43 am

Sean Doyle, the Waterside grapevine had it, was never one of Alex's yes-men and therefore went before he was pushed.

Anyway, good riddance. Won't be missed and I hope Sean gets rid of some of the muppets he's put in charge of various departments.

Swanhunter Oct 12, 2020 12:45 am

He’s been the hit man for the IAG plan (including all the toxic union and employee relations). However the lack of succession in place at EI implies he walked rather than being pushed out.

stu1985 Oct 12, 2020 12:46 am

Good things come to those who wait! :D

sigma421 Oct 12, 2020 12:51 am

Originally Posted by stu1985 (Post 32740660)
    Good things come to those who wait! :D

We should be careful what we wish for...

I wasn’t a massive fan of Cruz but it should be noted that he very much played the hand that BA dealt him. BoB in Euro Traveller aside there has actually been more product investment under him than I recall under Keith Williams or Walsh when the product really stagnated. A lot of the other problems were a result of underinvestment under those CEOs

ThatT1Feeling Oct 12, 2020 12:55 am

I don't understand how BA thinks it's OK to have the Chief Exec also taking the Chairman role. Good corporate governance would require that these roles be separate as a check and balance. Maybe they think they're not required to have good corporate governance?

crazy8534 Oct 12, 2020 12:56 am

I think that, contrary to what will no doubt be the prevailing FT sentiment, this is likely to have a lot less to do with staff relations, BoB, onboard service, being panned on an Internet discussion board etc. than with his views on the future viability of BA’s business.

Safc0615 Oct 12, 2020 1:01 am

Originally Posted by crazy8534 (Post 32740668)
    I think that, contrary to what will no doubt be the prevailing FT sentiment, this is likely to have a lot less to do with BoB, onboard service, being panned on an Internet discussion board etc. than with his views on the future viability of BA’s business.

I would think it’s also clear that IAG chairman has most likely come in and felt there’s a need for a change, no doubt there’s an element of him being the fall guy for some of Willie Walsh’s work but I wouldn’t think many would view his tenure as overly successful.

DYKWIA Oct 12, 2020 1:08 am

Isn't this normal practise? Get somebody to do the dirty work of firing people, then replace him with somebody more palatable to the remaining staff once everything is complete.