Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Transfer LHR>LGW if not on "travel corridor" list

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2020, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold

Hi all, apologies if this has been asked before - but I couldn't find anything related to my question.

I am flying DUS-LHR / LGW-BGI with BA in November. There is a 4hrs layover between arriving in LHR and departing from LGW, so I have to travel from LHR to LGW.

Germany is currently on the "travel corridor" list, but since infections are increasing also in Germany, I wouldn't be surprised if Germany soon gets removed.
In that case, I would have to "self-isolate" for 14 days when entering the UK.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I would have to immigrate into the UK in order to travel from LHR to LGW, but I will book a private transfer and will not make any stopovers.
Would that be allowed under the current rules?

On the gov.uk website, there is a statement that "In England, you can only leave your accommodation in limited circumstances and while outside your accommodation, you should stay alert and stay safe. These include where you are travelling directly in order to leave England (...)"
I wonder if this would be the solution? And it is true - I am only traveling in oder to directly leave England...

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Oct 11, 2020, 11:01 am
dnw

You will have no problem. Leaving the country is a permitted reason to break quarantine, even if you only arrived hours earlier. Furthermore, quarantine is not directly enforced and by the time any might have picked your locator form details up and called you, you'll already have left the country,
SFOTraveler1984, SxMan and cmd320 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Glad to hear that it should be fine. Wasn't that clear to me from reading the website.

Has anyone done this before?

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 11, 2020 at 1:20 pm Reason: Remove reply to deleted post
Old Oct 11, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
Has anyone done this before?
Yes from Spain both connecting like you and overnight at airport hotel. Enjoy Barbados.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Yes from Spain both connecting like you and overnight at airport hotel. Enjoy Barbados.
Great to hear, this is very assuring. Many thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2020, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
Great to hear, this is very assuring. Many thanks!
There are several threads regarding this in the UK and Ireland forum with information, including these:
Transit in UK - arriving LHR, departing LGW: allowed?
Possible to do landside transit via London Heathrow?
Also see the information and experiences posted in this thread in the coronavirus forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...-arrivals.html
Old Oct 11, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA, AS
I have no idea if this would work but I would be tempted to call BA and ask if they might switch you to an LHR-BGI flight because of the Covid situation.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 3:33 pm

The quarantine rules mean that you must not leave your home to get something from the supermarket across the street, but you can do your shopping in Paris.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by dnw
You will have no problem. Leaving the country is a permitted reason to break quarantine, even if you only arrived hours earlier. Furthermore, quarantine is not directly enforced and by the time any might have picked your locator form details up and called you, you'll already have left the country,
That's if you manage to complete the locator form. I tried to fill it in on my phone and it said that my mother's date of birth was too far in the past (she is 84) and then it got stuck in a loop. Didn't let me finish the form.
SxMan likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by JessicaB
That's if you manage to complete the locator form. I tried to fill it in on my phone and it said that my mother's date of birth was too far in the past (she is 84) and then it got stuck in a loop. Didn't let me finish the form.
So you weren’t permitted to enter the country because you were unable to complete the form or was there some less draconian outcome?

I can’t say I’ve heard many reports of the form failing but hopefully the OP is younger and can complete the form.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
So you weren’t permitted to enter the country because you were unable to complete the form or was there some less draconian outcome?

I can’t say I’ve heard many reports of the form failing but hopefully the OP is younger and can complete the form.
I have transited the UK 3 times now and never had to show that I filled in the form - I had done it without difficulty for what it's worth (once staying overnight at an airport hotel) - only one trip originated in a corridor country - so not related to that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.