Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Malta November holiday entry requirements etc [and BA to Malta generally]

Old Oct 7, 20, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
Thinking of booking at last minute break to Malta for some winter sun, can easily quarantine on return, but is there anything I should know re entry requirements? Am I right in thinking the UK is on the Green list at the minute so no pre-entry Covid tests, but how often is this reviewed and what are the chances of us being downgraded do you think?
What are the current masks rules - same as us just indoors etc, just cancelled 3 weeks in Spain as they are also mandatory outdoors?
Is the lounge in Luqa airport open?
Will also have to get some extra insurance I believe as travel is against FCO advice - any insurance company recommendations?
Thanks
Old Oct 7, 20, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Other than flying there, on BA, you’re best place for these queries is on the Covid Forum

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/ or https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/
Old Oct 7, 20, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
Other than flying there, on BA, youíre best place for these queries is on the Covid Forum

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/ or https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/
Obviously flying BA.
Old Oct 7, 20, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Plenty of things can happen, and it would not surprise me if entry restrictions are sharpened again. Book if you must but don’t complain if you can’t go, is probably the best way to look at it.
Old Oct 7, 20, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
My point being, other than a question about a third party lounge, none of this is relevant to flying BA or the BA forum, and may be best place on the forums you’re asking questions about.
Old Oct 7, 20, 8:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
On the subject of Malta, BA seem to not have any flight to there for the next couple of weeks, the first one being on 25th October.

When did BA suspend the route and how much notice did they give? Any risk of those from 25 October being cancelled (I don't mean a specific one but the whole route) just before the EC261 14-day notice period starts?
I guess we'll know on 11 October for 25 October, but it would be good to know the pattern.

I don't mind the UK being put on Maltese Amber list (i.e. requiring a PCR test <72 hr before arrival) but if it's taken off the Maltese "corridor" country, it will be a right mess (I do wonder what the risk of that would be), as well as a last minute flight cancellation being messy, so I am contemplating whether to stick to BA or book on KM on a flight earlier in the month.

P.S. The third party lounge at MLA seems to be open.
Old Oct 7, 20, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
On the subject of Malta, BA seem to not have any flight to there for the next couple of weeks, the first one being on 25th October.

When did BA suspend the route and how much notice did they give? Any risk of those from 25 October being cancelled (I don't mean a specific one but the whole route) just before the EC261 14-day notice period starts?
I guess we'll know on 11 October for 25 October, but it would be good to know the pattern.

I don't mind the UK being put on Maltese Amber list (i.e. requiring a PCR test <72 hr before arrival) but if it's taken off the Maltese "corridor" country, it will be a right mess (I do wonder what the risk of that would be), as well as a last minute flight cancellation being messy, so I am contemplating whether to stick to BA or book on KM on a flight earlier in the month.

P.S. The third party lounge at MLA seems to be open.
September 7th was the last flight. I think the suspended route was 15 days out - it was definitely reasonably close to departure
Old Oct 7, 20, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by James91 View Post
September 7th was the last flight. I think the suspended route was 15 days out - it was definitely reasonably close to departure
Thanks, that's a tad close for comfort.
I am not sure what to do now. KM is still operating multiple flights every week now, so maybe I should be mentally prepared to go with them, and if BA keeps the flight on 25th past the 14-day cut-off, then take the BA flight.
Old Oct 8, 20, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by James91 View Post
Can't believe that hadn't realized they had stopped the whole route! Any chance of it restarting?
Old Oct 8, 20, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by paulaf View Post
Can't believe that hadn't realized they had stopped the whole route! Any chance of it restarting?
It's still on from 25 October onwards (not daily - I think it's a few times a week) but who knows if that will survive.
Old Oct 8, 20, 3:46 am
Original Poster

It's still on from 25 October onwards (not daily - I think it's a few times a week) but who knows if that will survive.
Yes i know i was about to book it but I thought you were implying it's getting cancelled on a rolling 2 week basis to avoid EC261?
Have earlier October flights been scheduled and then cancelled or is the 25th a restart date?
Old Oct 8, 20, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by paulaf View Post
Yes i know i was about to book it but I thought you were implying it's getting cancelled on a rolling 2 week basis to avoid EC261?
I wasn't implying that. In fact, I was asking because I only noticed a day or so ago that MLA flights weren't available till 25th myself.

I in fact need to get there (it's not a holiday), and I can't risk the UK being taken off the Maltese Corridor list (I can cope with Amber corridor) so I really need to decide whether I should hang out for the BA flight on 25th (I'm assuming that the flight will be 'safe' once it's past the 14-day cut-off) or just fly with KM much sooner.
Old Oct 8, 20, 4:08 am
Original Poster

I wasn't implying that. In fact, I was asking because I only noticed a day or so ago that MLA flights weren't available till 25th myself.

I in fact need to get there (it's not a holiday), and I can't risk the UK being taken off the Maltese Corridor list (I can cope with Amber corridor) so I really need to decide whether I should hang out for the BA flight on 25th (I'm assuming that the flight will be 'safe' once it's past the 14-day cut-off) or just fly with KM much sooner.
It seems that 25th is the start of the winter schedule, see the October cancellation thread so it is a restart planned but whether it will happen or not who knows?
Old Oct 8, 20, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
October 25 is a key date as itís the start of the winter timetable. I would therefore expect a flurry of schedule changes and cancellations on many routes in the next two or three days (indeed itís happening already according to the latest post in the Oct changes thread).
Old Oct 8, 20, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12 View Post
October 25 is a key date as itís the start of the winter timetable. I would therefore expect a flurry of schedule changes and cancellations on many routes in the next two or three days (indeed itís happening already according to the latest post in the Oct changes thread).
So this new winter timetable is just an ambition not reality?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: