Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Malta November holiday entry requirements etc [and BA to Malta generally]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malta November holiday entry requirements etc [and BA to Malta generally]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2020, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If the UK ends up on the Amber corridor list, then I'll get tested privately (and on a quick turnaround...) before I leave.

I've even made an appointment for one already, in case the UK ends up the Amber list next week.
When is their list updated ? Do you have a feel if we will go Amber?
Can you ask for a swab test on arrival or is it their discretion so they might say no and do 14 days quarantine instead?
Old Oct 9, 2020, 3:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by paulaf
When is their list updated ? Do you have a feel if we will go Amber?
Can you ask for a swab test on arrival or is it their discretion so they might say no and do 14 days quarantine instead?
I have no idea when it is updated (e.g. whether they do it on some kind of a schedule), but I believe the last update was on 12 September to put some areas of France on their Amber list.

I am guessing that the UK will be Amber by the time BA resumes flight to MLA (25 October is the first one) if the number of cases is not brought well under control. I am only worried about it ending up being off the Corridor list entirely though (I have no idea whether that will happen at all, given the UK is still counted as a 'semi-EU' in the EU until the end of this year) in which case, it won't be possible to enter the country unless you are resident in Malta or a Maltese citizen or meet other criteria). This is what I am worried about in terms of waiting until BA resumes flights to Malta - that is, if they do resume it.

There is a provision to get tested on arrival and/or be quarantined for 14 days if you are flying from an Amber country/area, but surely that is not a good idea if you are going on a holiday? You could end up being quarantined for 14 days there and not allowed to leave during that time?

I suggest referring to the following official pages:
https://deputyprimeminister.gov.mt/e...es/travel.aspx
https://legislation.mt/eli/ln/2020/333/eng/pdf

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Oct 9, 2020 at 3:52 am
Old Oct 9, 2020, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks, this I was misinterpreting the 2nd part that the passenger could opt for a test on arrival but it's ambiguous so yes too risky. I am entitled to an NHS test periodically do you know if they are acceptable instead of a private one?
Old Oct 9, 2020, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by paulaf
Thanks, this I was misinterpreting the 2nd part that the passenger could opt for a test on arrival but it's ambiguous so yes too risky. I am entitled to an NHS test periodically do you know if they are acceptable instead of a private one?
I have no idea and it is something I would say you need to research yourself.

However, there is an issue of the time constraint (sample needs to have been collected <72 hours prior to arrival) and potentially inappropriate use of NHS resources unless it happens to have needed to be done at the right time that you perhaps need to consider.

Besides all that, putting my moderator hat on, this is veering off the topic on BA, so any further questions need to be asked in Europe or Covid sections of the forum unless it specifically involves BA.
paulaf, T8191 and jerry a. laska like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Oct 9, 2020 at 6:38 am
Old Oct 9, 2020, 5:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
...potentially inappropriate use of NHS resources for unless it happens to have needed to be done at the right time that you perhaps need to consider.
Without wishing to go further OT, I am genuinely curious whether the NHS provides free Covid tests so that people can go on holiday? It seems to me that those should have to be done privately.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
I believe you can only get a test booked if you are showing symptoms.

Obviously, one could lie and get a test - but that is dependent on one’s own moral compass.
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Without wishing to go further OT, I am genuinely curious whether the NHS provides free Covid tests so that people can go on holiday? It seems to me that those should have to be done privately.
No.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...e-coronavirus/:

Do not ask for an NHS test if:

• you're going abroad but do not have symptoms
Old Oct 9, 2020, 10:36 am

Cancellations for late October to MLA seem to be happening right now. So far, it looks like at least some flights will survive, for now.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Truthmonkey
I do think it is quite interesting that both Germany and Italy are offering arriving travellers free tests for inbound travellers with, in at least Germany’s case, the stated aim of supporting their tourist industry. This type of approach doesn’t seem to be on the radar in the UK though. I’m not justifying breaking the rules mind which seem to me to be clear.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The T-72 pre-travel PCR test is presenting challenges everywhere, not least here in Jersey where the limited private testing facility may not even meet the time-line as samples have to be sent to UK laboratories.

However ...
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/so...d-list-2020-10
Then, on Thursday, the department of home affairs said it would offer rapid and cheap antigen testing at borders for those who arrive without a PCR test – though the government would still rather travellers arrive with a "gold standard" PCR test.
And indeed ...
https://www.godominicanrepublic.com/...m/coronavirus/
Aligning with the launch of the Responsible Tourism Recovery Plan on September 15th, travelers no longer need to provide a negative PCR or COVID-19 test upon arrival. Instead, airports and other ports of entry will administer a quick, aleatory breath test to between 3% and 10% of passengers, and all those who present symptoms, upon arrival. All passengers will also need to perform a temperature check.
It has been the same challenge to Governments everywhere, trying to balance Health with Tourism/Economics. Eventually we will discover which Governments actually made the right choices in the face of those conflicting needs for their Nation.
paulaf likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Cancellations for late October to MLA seem to be happening right now. So far, it looks like at least some flights will survive, for now.
Looks like frequency reduced from 5 to 3 per week? Do you think the 3 that are left will survive?

Last edited by paulaf; Oct 10, 2020 at 1:36 pm
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:38 pm

"Amber" corridor (i.e. prior negative PCR test required <72 hrs) list for Malta has been updated, according to Times of Malta. Included in the newly added locations are the United Kingdom (Belfast, Cardiff, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle).
The article says it will be with effect from midnight on Friday.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/vi...blished.826351

The official government page has not yet been updated, but it should be in due course:
https://deputyprimeminister.gov.mt/e...es/travel.aspx

Do bear in mind if you have a trip booked to Malta (I am posting this update especially as BA is about to resume flights to MLA shortly).
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks had spotted that too, at least Heathrow escaped for now. We booked a holiday there and cancelled it about 4 days later when they brought in the new mask rules outside.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:49 am

On the other hand, if you are able to get tested if needed and can quarantine on return to the UK, it's absolutely glorious here right now. - I'm sitting here in a sleeveless top and enjoying the sunshine (with a shed load of sunscreen on!).
wilsnunn and T8191 like this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Was looking at going to Malta in December / January - but cannot find any BA flights from London (neither to book nor on the timetables page).

It seems BA do not fly there anymore (for the winter at least?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.