Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Circumventing Household Account / Family & Friends for Avios Redemption

Old Oct 7, 2020, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA EC Gold

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is already addressed in a separate thread - I don't think so but I may have been searching for the wrong terms...

I'm trying to book Avios flights for me + 8 friends in the current offer, but have a household account and therefore am of course limited to being able to book Avios flights only for those 5 people on my Family and Friends list (my brother was recently added, and is not part of this group, so I have only 4 spaces). I was wondering whether anyone has any experience with this, and whether this might work as a (slightly convoluted) work-around:

1) Add 4 of the 8 to my Family and Friends list to fill it up
2) Transfer 27k avios to one of those four who does not have a Household Account (which is free as I have EC Gold)
3) He then uses those 27k Avios to book flights for himself and for the other 4 not on my Family and Friends list (they will probably not all be on the same flight, which gets around some issues in terms of number of reward seats available)
4) I then book Avios flights for myself and the other 3 on the Family and Friends list using Gold Priority Reward if need be

What do people think? Also, if there's a simpler solution, I'm all ears...

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 7, 2020, 11:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA Forum MannersMakythMan.

That seems to be OK, though I am not sure if GPR is at the reduced levels, I'm not sure I've seen a reliable report on that one. The other option would be to dissolve your HHA and revert to standalone membership, which would mean you could make 2 bookings for 8 people.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Perhaps, if you are the Head of HH and therefore cannot easily leave it, your partner might have enough avios in their own account to leave the HH and make the 8x booking for you all. And they can join your F&F list until they can rejoin the HH.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, both.

Unfortunately, I'm the one with all the Avios, pauldb

corporate-wage-slave Thank you for the welcome and the suggestion. I would imagine we would need to wait 6 months before re-creating that HHA? Fiancee and I both have companion vouchers but, as I say, I earn the majority of the Avios, hence it is useful for us..

Btw, it looks like you do get the reduction on GPR too - I priced up for dates in August to check (peak dates in both cases).
Old Oct 7, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by MannersMakythMan
Thank you, both.

Unfortunately, I'm the one with all the Avios, pauldb

corporate-wage-slave Thank you for the welcome and the suggestion. I would imagine we would need to wait 6 months before re-creating that HHA? Fiancee and I both have companion vouchers but, as I say, I earn the majority of the Avios, hence it is useful for us..

Btw, it looks like you do get the reduction on GPR too - I priced up for dates in August to check (peak dates in both cases).
With 'the reduction' I assumed you meant the current 50% off Avios sale? If so that's only for travel up to June 30th so not quite sure what you priced up in August.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Yes exactly - was checking August # of Avios required vs. May (which is when we're travelling) to confirm you get the reduction also for GPR
Traveller 935 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Just in case it's ever useful to anyone - the workaround I outlined in the OP did indeed work

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.